Superman
Feb 3, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
✟16,584.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Greens
Throughout time, men have waged war. Some for power, some for glory, some for honor – and some for love.

In ancient Greece, the passion of two of literature’s most notorious lovers, Paris, Prince of Troy (ORLANDO BLOOM) and Helen (DIANE KRUGER), Queen of Sparta, ignites a war that will devastate a civilization. When Paris spirits Helen away from her husband, King Menelaus (BRENDAN GLEESON), it is an insult that cannot be suffered. Familial pride dictates that an affront to Menelaus is an affront to his brother Agamemnon (BRIAN COX), powerful King of the Mycenaeans, who soon unites all the massive tribes of Greece to steal Helen back from Troy in defense of his brother’s honor.

In truth, Agamemnon’s pursuit of honor is corrupted by his overwhelming greed – he needs to conquer Troy to seize control of the Aegean, thus ensuring the supremacy of his already vast empire. The walled city, under the leadership of King Priam (PETER O’TOOLE) and defended by mighty Prince Hector (ERIC BANA), is a citadel that no army has ever been able to breach. One man alone stands as the key to victory or defeat over Troy – Achilles (BRAD PITT), believed to be the greatest warrior alive.

Arrogant, rebellious and seemingly invincible, Achilles has allegiance to nothing and no one, save his own glory. It is his insatiable hunger for eternal renown that leads him to attack the gates of Troy under Agamemnon’s banner – but it will be love that ultimately decides his fate.

Two worlds will go to war for honor and power. Thousands will fall in pursuit of glory. And for love, a nation will burn to the ground.

Please research what you are talking about before you start speaking. "Troy" is about one of the ancient Greek's greatest stories of love, war and glory. If you want to know more about it or see what the story is about, go rent "Helen of Troy" from your video store and watch that version of it. I recall implied nudity in there, but nothing graphic and it shows you the storyline behind the new "Troy".

I loved Greek and Roman myth as a kid as well as Homer's stories so Achilles and Aggamemnon are some of my favorite characters/heroes. But ya, Achilles does die in the end.
Achilles is the son of the mortal Peleus and the nymph Thetis. Thetis tried to make her son immortal by dipping him into the River Styx, while holding him by his ankle. His ankle is therefore the only portion of him capable of sustaining a mortal wound, which he receives from a goddess-guided arrow shot by Paris of Troy.

And ya, this story is grecian myth so it is filled with their deities and worship of them and the beleif in them. However, I'm going to see it Friday night with my girlfriend for sure, and I really don't think it's going to hurt my walk with God to see a great movie fueled by a terrific storyline and characters that are awesome. Even with the Greek gods in the movie, whoop-de-doo... I can tell that they're really just some good characters in some great stories.

So go see it. You'll only be missing out of an awesome movie if you don't.

Upvote 0

trunks2k

Contributor
Jan 26, 2004
✟270,241.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Jazzcat said:
Hey cool! We should start a club... and create movies were all the bad stuff is :banned: ! That would be fun! I bet there's a ton of people out there that are sick and tired of garbage.

Actually there is a company making DVD players that does something like this. The DVD player links to a databases of movies and skips over the "bad" parts. But it's gotta ruin movies like Saving Private Ryan... I can see it now, the whole movie would be two seconds long "We need to find Pvt. Ryan"..."HERE HE IS!"

Upvote 0

MoonlessNight

Fides et Ratio
Sep 16, 2003
✟63,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
So... is there really anything from The Iliad that actually made it into the movie? The following things didn't happen in The Iliad, by the way:

The golden apple being thrown causing the mess
Paris choosing the fairest goddess
Helen being given to Paris
The reprisal and start of the war
Achilles's Death
The Trojan Horse and the conquest of Troy

Those indeed were part of the story of Trojan war, but weren't in the Iliad (just stating that because some people seem to think Trojan War = The Iliad). I know that the movie is based off the war, not the Iliad, but I'm just wondering how much of the Iliad makes it into the movie. In particular (I guess this might contain spoilers, I don't even know if any of it is the movie though):

Do Paris and Menelaus duel?
Is there a midnight raid (I think by Odysseus and Ajax, but I could be wrong)?
Does Achilles send Patrocolus in his place to send back the Trojans?
Do the Greeks (Achaens) have a tournament of a variety of games to celebrate Hector's death?

Those were my favorite parts of The Iliad, so I'm curious if they are in the movie.

Upvote 0

EmAgDnImGiRl

I LOVE 7-MILES!!
Apr 29, 2004
VIRGINIA BEACH! BABE!!
Visit site
✟144.00
Faith
Christian
Wroth said:
Please research what you are talking about before you start speaking. "Troy" is about one of the ancient Greek's greatest stories of love, war and glory. If you want to know more about it or see what the story is about, go rent "Helen of Troy" from your video store and watch that version of it. I recall implied nudity in there, but nothing graphic and it shows you the storyline behind the new "Troy".

I loved Greek and Roman myth as a kid as well as Homer's stories so Achilles and Aggamemnon are some of my favorite characters/heroes. But ya, Achilles does die in the end.

And ya, this story is grecian myth so it is filled with their deities and worship of them and the beleif in them. However, I'm going to see it Friday night with my girlfriend for sure, and I really don't think it's going to hurt my walk with God to see a great movie fueled by a terrific storyline and characters that are awesome. Even with the Greek gods in the movie, whoop-de-doo... I can tell that they're really just some good characters in some great stories.

So go see it. You'll only be missing out of an awesome movie if you don't.

haha, I know I was talking to some of my friends, and they were all like Yeah Brad pit, he is so cute, and blah blah, and I was like "If you know history like I do. Brad Pit is going to DIE. He is troy. They said "NO he doesnt" whatever they will find out the hard way.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Roo6339

Maynard Fan
May 2, 2004
The Land Down-Under
✟1,304.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
EmAgDnImGiRl said:
haha, I know I was talking to some of my friends, and they were all like Yeah Brad pit, he is so cute, and blah blah, and I was like "If you know history like I do. Brad Pit is going to DIE. He is troy. They said "NO he doesnt" whatever they will find out the hard way.
what ever happened to spoiler tags! :mad:

lol, i'm just kidding ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Wroth

Superman
Feb 3, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
✟16,584.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
CA-Greens
PATROCLUS - Garrett Hedlund

I guess he will be there then definately. Donno if they'll have him don Achille's armour and lead Achille's troops for him, but we'll see. I don't know how they would edit that fact out.

By the way:
ODYSSEUS - Sean Bean
SWEET!!!!! Great actor for a great character :D

I'm not sure I agree with Eric Bana as Hector though... I would have picked someone alot bigger and with more of a hero appearance... maybe Vin Diesel (decent enough actor, good hero looks) or the british guy who plays in the Transporter or even that huge actor from Gladiator (the one huge, german-ish sounding actor who played the gladiator who was testing the new ones when Maximus arrives and is 'tested' [beaten with the wooded sword a few times]) I wish I knew the names, but oh well, you get the picture... someone bigger and more powerfully built who looks like a leader of men.

Upvote 0

HeatherJay

Kisser of Boo-Boos
Sep 1, 2003
Tennessee
Visit site
✟41,276.00
Faith
Nazarene
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
EmAgDnImGiRl said:
You do realize that Troy is a city, not a person, right? Brad Pitt's character is Achilles.

Upvote 0