Roman Catholic Diocese of Nelson
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I have a couple of problems, that I need prayers for: First, I'm having trouble focusing at the moment, I'm struggling with trying to keep my mind on my prayers and readings. Second, I've noticed that I've been struggling a lot with worldly fear, I have a tendency to be concerned with what other people think of me, and while I've finally started praying the rosary in public, I still have to struggle a lot to get up the courage to pray it.

Bluerose31

Christian Flower
Site Supporter
Mar 27, 2017
US
✟419,338.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a couple of problems, that I need prayers for: First, I'm having trouble focusing at the moment, I'm struggling with trying to keep my mind on my prayers and readings. Second, I've noticed that I've been struggling a lot with worldly fear, I have a tendency to be concerned with what other people think of me, and while I've finally started praying the rosary in public, I still have to struggle a lot to get up the courage to pray it.
Praying for healing of your worldly fear and that you will be able to focus as you need.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
Bless your gentle heart! I'm so sorry to hear about what you are going through. It sounds like you deal with a lot of insecurity and anxiety, and that it leads your thoughts to wander. Been there, done that.

Baby steps. And reward yourself for every little baby step. You know, if the only thing I do is take out my rosary and hold it lovingly in church, I feel good about myself because that's come a long way. I loose my place all the time on it, because my thoughts wander. I don't think Mary or Jesus mind -- it's the heart that counts. I do the best that I can, and I'm not going to kick myself.

It's taken time for me to learn NOT to kick myself, though LOL. I used to do this thing where if I lost my place, I'd make myself go back and start the entire decade over again, so that I could make sure I didn't miss anything. But Our Lady is not some strict school mistress that wraps our knuckles every time we skip the blesseds on accident. She is our loving Mother who smiles at our attempts.

I was just talking to my own counselor this morning about my struggle to find that middle road of learning to blend in by caring somewhat about what others think so that you can have good relationships with family and friends and acquaintances, and on the other hand, being comfortable enough in your own shoes that you aren't afraid to be different no matter what other people think. So for example, I like it that I write poetry even though that's unusual, but I try to stifle picking my nose. LOL I can't give you the answer in a paragraph, but I can let you know that you learn to do it better as you get older.

Without prying too much (you don't HAVE to tell me anything) are your thoughts preoccupied with certain specific things? Worries? Ruminations about things that have happened? Or is it just everything in general? I can maybe offer some ideas, but it depends on what's going on with you.

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Without prying too much (you don't HAVE to tell me anything) are your thoughts preoccupied with certain specific things? Worries? Ruminations about things that have happened? Or is it just everything in general? I can maybe offer some ideas, but it depends on what's going on with you.
I was preoccupied, with something earlier, but I think it's best to dwell on it, my long-term concern is worldly fear. It's been a problem since my childhood.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I was preoccupied, with something earlier, but I think it's best to dwell on it, my long-term concern is worldly fear. It's been a problem since my childhood.
I'm not sure what you mean by worldly fear. We all have worldly concerns and those concerns in their place are healthy. If I didn't care about whether my kids got to school on time, they probably wouldn't, and that would be a bad thing. If I didn't care if the rent got paid, it probably wouldn't, and then I'd be out on the street. If I'm obsessing over these things to where it's interfering with my ability to live a normal life, that's a problem. Is that what you mean by worldly fears?

Upvote 0

JesusLovesOurLady

Slave of the Handmaid of the Lord
Feb 15, 2017
✟6,780.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure what you mean by worldly fear. We all have worldly concerns and those concerns in their place are healthy. If I didn't care about whether my kids got to school on time, they probably wouldn't, and that would be a bad thing. If I didn't care if the rent got paid, it probably wouldn't, and then I'd be out on the street. If I'm obsessing over these things to where it's interfering with my ability to live a normal life, that's a problem. Is that what you mean by worldly fears?
I mean, fear of how one appears to others, that's what the Bible predominately means by "the world." The world refers to the society, and/or the dominate culture, (Pagan Rome, in the case of the Bible) Christians are called to be detached from such things, to not fear being looked-down, ridiculed and persecuted. I struggle a lot with social anxiety, and how I appear to others, and I struggle a lot to work-up the courage to pray my rosary in public, or make the sign of the cross in public, because of these anxieties.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
I mean, fear of how one appears to others, that's what the Bible predominately means by "the world." The world refers to the society, and/or the dominate culture, (Pagan Rome, in the case of the Bible) Christians are called to be detached from such things, to not fear being looked-down, ridiculed and persecuted. I struggle a lot with social anxiety, and how I appear to others, and I struggle a lot to work-up the courage to pray my rosary in public, or make the sign of the cross in public, because of these anxieties.
You and me both.

Upvote 0