Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
BIG Texas Rangers fan, redleghunter -- and hope to MOVE TO ARLINGTON in early august...

If I am granted the life...

I will leave in a few days for a hotel room near the VA Hospital in Temple, Texas, where I will become a PROFESSIONAL PATIENT for a while -- bone scan, hernia surgery, probably partial prostate surgery after that, stress fracture of the right femur -- I have so many appointments I may as well live in the hospital... but close to it is good enough

it will be a while before I climb the stadium rows in Globe Life Park again, but I plan on it

went last summer and summer before to Rangers game with small group of veterans

but I hope to go to many games after august -- maybe LIVE AT GLOBE LIFE PARK !!

Or at least near it

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,843.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
BIG Texas Rangers fan, redleghunter -- and hope to MOVE TO ARLINGTON in early august...

If I am granted the life...

I will leave in a few days for a hotel room near the VA Hospital in Temple, Texas, where I will become a PROFESSIONAL PATIENT for a while -- bone scan, hernia surgery, probably partial prostate surgery after that, stress fracture of the right femur -- I have so many appointments I may as well live in the hospital... but close to it is good enough

it will be a while before I climb the stadium rows in Globe Life Park again, but I plan on it

went last summer and summer before to Rangers game with small group of veterans

but I hope to go to many games after august -- maybe LIVE AT GLOBE LIFE PARK !!

Or at least near it
My prayers go with you....And many thanks for your service.....

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thank you for your prayers, civilwarbuff, and you are welcome for the service

I want all Nicene and Non-Nicene as well to pray for me;
Trinnies and Non-Trinnies

after Tuesday I may not be on much

but I will know about the bone cancer issue (which I think is just the VA
RULING OUT the most exotic thing)
and if not...
I may be close to learning the FINAL ANSWERS to things we debate about here...

but I am not Paul

and frankly, guys and gals -- I would rather be AT THE BALL PARK than
'with the Lord'
(meaning no disrespect)
at least for some more years

Last edited:
Upvote 0

nomadictheist

Alive in Christ
Feb 8, 2014
Home
✟21,570.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
When Matthew, Mark, Luke, John, Peter, Paul, etc. wrote the gospels and letters to former pagan, gentile Christians in Rome, Corinth, Galatia, Ephesus, Philippi, Thessalonika, et al. did they write in a secret Holy, spiritual language that only some chosen few could understand or did they write in the common language of the time so that simple people could readily understand what they wrote? I believe there are translations around that were not guided by the Spirit. For example a certain 19th century group holds that the truth of their writings will be manifested by a burning in their bosom presumably from the Holy Spirit.
Perhaps the burning in their bosom was from that large serving of french fries at McDonalds...

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

Then do me a favor and go to "Boomstick" in Section 29 and get one of their signature hotdogs (24-inch with chili, cheese, grilled onions, and jalapenos) and send it to me overnight mail, OK?? :)

Upvote 0

Anto9us

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2013
Texas
✟95,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
"get one of their signature hotdogs (24-inch with chili, cheese, grilled onions, and jalapenos) and send it to me overnight mail, OK?? :)"

I will try, Uncle Siggy -- that sounds like a heart attack on a plate -- I ate a TWELVE-inch one of those ingredients at a Baylor Lady Bear Basketball game a while back, could not have eaten much more...

I will arise again, and go to that other site to talk Rangers, but it won't be "on the third day"

Peace.

Upvote 0

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Aye, I'll be around. :) If anyone so much as mentions Aramaic on CF I usually have a look and weigh whether or not I should pop into the conversation.

But otherwise you may see me quibbling over the odd thing over in the Anglican forum from time to time. :)
What do you think of the way 1 Corinthians 8:6 reads in the Aramaic Bible in Plain English?

To us, ours is one God The Father, for all things are from him and we are in him, and The One LORD JEHOVAH Yeshua The Messiah, for all things are by him, and we are also in his hand.

http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/8-6.htm

Upvote 0

SteveCaruso

Translator
May 17, 2010
✟54,511.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What do you think of the way 1 Corinthians 8:6 reads in the Aramaic Bible in Plain English?

To us, ours is one God The Father, for all things are from him and we are in him, and The One LORD JEHOVAH Yeshua The Messiah, for all things are by him, and we are also in his hand.

http://biblehub.com/1_corinthians/8-6.htm

The Aramaic Bible in Plain English reads into things a bit here and there.

First this translation based off of the 5th century Syriac Peshitta, so it's not even in the same dialect family or timeframe of what Jesus and his disciples would have understood.

Secondly, it has a habit of translating the Syriac word ܡܪܝܐ /māryā/ as "LORD JEHOVAH" believing the etymology of the word as a portmanteau of ܡܪܐ /mārā/ which means "lord" or "master" and the shortened tetragram "Yah" to mean "Lord YHWH."

This etymology is, of course, rubbish. The word מר /mār/ was irregular in Old Aramaic (originally מרא /mārē/), and resolved that irregularity (the -ē ending) differently in different dialects. The direct cognate word in Jewish Aramaic would have been the form מריא /māryā/, however it was not used in Western Aramaic at all, and in Eastern Jewish Aramaic dialects it did not bear any connotation of the tetragram.

Simply put, in 1 Corinthians 8:6, the Peshitta reads ܘܚܕ ܡܪܝܐ ܝܫܘܥ ܡܫܝܚܐ /wə-ḥaḏ māryā’ yešua‘ məšīḥā’/ which means, "and (the) one Lord, Jesus Christ." Rendering it as "The One LORD JEHOVAH" is misleading and reading words into the Syriac that are simply not there.

There are better texts to investigate the doctrine of the Trinity with than this one, especially via this "translation."

Upvote 0

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The Aramaic Bible in Plain English reads into things a bit here and there.

First this translation based off of the 5th century Syriac Peshitta, so it's not even in the same dialect family or timeframe of what Jesus and his disciples would have understood.

Secondly, it has a habit of translating the Syriac word ܡܪܝܐ /māryā/ as "LORD JEHOVAH" believing the etymology of the word as a portmanteau of ܡܪܐ /mārā/ which means "lord" or "master" and the shortened tetragram "Yah" to mean "Lord YHWH."

This etymology is, of course, rubbish. The word מר /mār/ was irregular in Old Aramaic (originally מרא /mārē/), and resolved that irregularity (the -ē ending) differently in different dialects. The direct cognate word in Jewish Aramaic would have been the form מריא /māryā/, however it was not used in Western Aramaic at all, and in Eastern Jewish Aramaic dialects it did not bear any connotation of the tetragram.

Simply put, in 1 Corinthians 8:6, the Peshitta reads ܘܚܕ ܡܪܝܐ ܝܫܘܥ ܡܫܝܚܐ /wə-ḥaḏ māryā’ yešua‘ məšīḥā’/ which means, "and (the) one Lord, Jesus Christ." Rendering it as "The One LORD JEHOVAH" is misleading and reading words into the Syriac that are simply not there.

There are better texts to investigate the doctrine of the Trinity with than this one, especially via this "translation."
Thank you for your scholarly input.

Reactions: SteveCaruso
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jack Terrence

Fighting the good fight
Feb 15, 2013
✟27,525.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
What are those texts and would you give a couple or three examples where the divinity of Christ is clearly affirmed.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Uncle Siggy

Promulgator of Annoying Tidbits of Information
Dec 4, 2015
Ohio
✟61,528.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I will try, Uncle Siggy -- that sounds like a heart attack on a plate

My wife is always complaining that what I eat will give me a heart attack but whenever I go see the doctor he says "Get outta my office you're too healthy"... :)

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,751,968.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread is being closed. Since it was started, the Statement of Purpose for this forum has been changed to include:

Non-Nicene unorthodox Christian topics may only be discussed in the Controversial Theology forum. Non-Trinitarianism may only be discussed in the Christianity & World Religion forum and the Debate Non-Christian Religions forum. The non-Nicene, unorthodox Christian topics which may discussed in this forum include (but are not limited to):

• Universalism
    • Open Theism
    • Full Preterism
    • Annihilationism
    • Gnosticism
Faith groups that deny the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ or His incarnation whereby He, as God, took on human flesh (becoming fully God and fully man in one person), are considered non-Christians at CF. Posts that deny the full, eternal deity of Jesus Christ or His incarnation are considered non-Christian theology and are not allowed in "Christians Only" forums.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.