England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
In two church movements now, Newfrontiers and Vineyard, I have heard people talk about "Treasure Hunting". Apparently, this involves fragments of a picture given by God to a group of church members who then go out onto the streets and search for the signs that will then lead them to a person - a total stranger - whose circumstances match the picture and who is need of God's help. The group tells the individual what Gos has shown them about this person and seek to help him or her. According to testimonials, this often leads to a change of life circumstances for the person, either a direct conversion or an improvement in circumstances.

Afraid to be regarded as a Doubting Thomas, I never questioned this approach. If two separate church movements have adopted - or revived - this approach, there must be a Scriptural and theological basis for it. But it's completely new to me.

I don't dismiss this approach but can anyone enlighten me on the Scripture for this, and if it is in fact standard or controversial evangelism/theology?

Truly1999

Jan 23, 2013
England
✟16,882.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
"Treasure Hunting": what does the Bible say?

Hmmmmmm....the only thing that came to mind upon seeing the title of your thread is what is written in Proverbs.
I will have a look at Proverbs but I might be searching for a needle in a haystack and I suspect it is a theology based upon several verses, but I'm grasping at straws.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I will have a look at Proverbs but I might be searching for a needle in a haystack and I suspect it is a theology based upon several verses, but I'm grasping at straws.

Sent from my D2303 using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, this is what came to mind:

"Yea, if thou criest after knowledge, and liftest up thy voice for understanding; If thou seekest her as silver, and searchest for her as for hid treasures;" ~Proverbs 2:3-4

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is there specific scripture that supports this exact thing? I don't know to be honest. Is there scripture supporting being led by the spirit and following promptings and getting word to share with people? Yes there is. So it depends on exactly what you are looking for. The bible, especially the NT, does not cover every single scenario specifically. After all there is no mention of the internet. However one can follow general principles that are taught and apply them which helps in some situations.
A good example is that there is no specific instruction in the bible as to what clothing constitutes modesty. However it does give a clear instruction not to dress to show off and draw attention to yourself. So we can follow the principle even though there is no specific instruction on what types of clothes to wear. Same thing here.

Upvote 0