Trans-Pacific Partnership: Largest Trade Deal ever yet little coverage of Corporate Takeover

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hoping the TTP deal can be addressed sooner than later....
It was promised that there would be a debate about the subject.

I'm guessing the debate was how much to tell the citizenry of the signatory nations before the ink dries.

Reactions: Gxg (G²)
Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

I'm guessing the debate was how much to tell the citizenry of the signatory nations before the ink dries.
I am surprised to see what has been going on with the debates which have been largely non-existent.

Are there things we can do to make the debate meaningful?

Upvote 0

TerranceL

Sarcasm is kind of an art isn't it?
Jul 3, 2009
✟105,808.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I am surprised to see what has been going on with the debates which have been largely non-existent.

Are there things we can do to make the debate meaningful?

The thing is that it doesn't matter to politicians what we think, we could send our local congress and senate critters as much mail or call as much as we want and they wont budge. The people whose opinions they do care about have already paid for their next campaigns. What needs to be done is this issue needs to be on the front page of the New York Times, it needs to be running non-stop on CNN and FOX, Huffington Post and Breitbart needs to have it on their sits front pages, these politicians need to be called out publicly, then need to be asked by reporters who would be more than happy naming and shaming them why there is no debate.

Now if only many of those news sources I just mentioned weren't owned by massive corporations that will stand to profit greatly by TPP.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The thing is that it doesn't matter to politicians what we think, we could send our local congress and senate critters as much mail or call as much as we want and they wont budge. The people whose opinions they do care about have already paid for their next campaigns. What needs to be done is this issue needs to be on the front page of the New York Times, it needs to be running non-stop on CNN and FOX, Huffington Post and Breitbart needs to have it on their sits front pages, these politicians need to be called out publicly, then need to be asked by reporters who would be more than happy naming and shaming them why there is no debate.

Now if only many of those news sources I just mentioned weren't owned by massive corporations that will stand to profit greatly by TPP.

What are the best ways to go about dealing with that? I am processing and keeping in mind what one person said best:

I think getting the word out (which includes the information on what is known about its provisions, including the legal ramifications, and the repercussions of NAFTA) is essential. But I also think calling one's legislators is important. The latter is no guarantee, but folks do want to keep their office -- and pushback in large numbers HAS helped in the past. Look at the GMO labelling initiative -- still up in the air when given the Grocery Manufacter's A. bankroll, astroturf efforts from industry groups like the Coalition for Safe and Affordable Food, and think-tank pushes (praising GMOs and debunking climate change at the same time). It should have been a slam dunk for industry by now; it isn't. Recall, Nixon changed his mind re: Vietnam because of the sizable protests .......To add: really, it's a matter also of letting our legislators and those interests supporting the TPP know that we are aware of what's going on. Transparency is ESSENTIAL to a democracy - bringing the issue to light is only part of the effort. Letting those who rely on 'cover' to pass this stuff (like the polluters who spill and dump when no-one is watching), acknowledging that the 'cover is blown' is important.

And on the issue, indeed...we have a problem when it comes to media alone and the level of control present.

With the lack of coverage, I've been saying the same for a long time fam - people forget that Television is meant to TELL A VISION and people don't keep up with the fact of who owns the networks corporately. The Corporations are whom our eyes need to be aware of when it comes to the news you get. Outside of outlets like The Real News Network or Global Research (Centre for Research on Globalization) (Centre for Research on Globalization), BBC and other independent forums, there's nothing but caution for me in what passes for the main narrative others believe in.

rvbsrgrseidxhnmogbee.jpg

And on the main concentration of who owns the media outlets on all 5 ends

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
What are the best ways to go about dealing with that? I am processing and keeping in mind what one person said best:

I think getting the word out (which includes the information on what is known about its provisions, including the legal ramifications, and the repercussions of NAFTA) is essential. But I also think calling one's legislators is important. The latter is no guarantee, but folks do want to keep their office -- and pushback in large numbers HAS helped in the past. Look at the GMO labelling initiative -- still up in the air when given the Grocery Manufacter's A. bankroll, astroturf efforts from industry groups like the Coalition for Safe and Affordable Food, and think-tank pushes (praising GMOs and debunking climate change at the same time). It should have been a slam dunk for industry by now; it isn't. Recall, Nixon changed his mind re: Vietnam because of the sizable protests .......To add: really, it's a matter also of letting our legislators and those interests supporting the TPP know that we are aware of what's going on. Transparency is ESSENTIAL to a democracy - bringing the issue to light is only part of the effort. Letting those who rely on 'cover' to pass this stuff (like the polluters who spill and dump when no-one is watching), acknowledging that the 'cover is blown' is important.

And on the issue, indeed...we have a problem when it comes to media alone and the level of control present.

With the lack of coverage, I've been saying the same for a long time fam - people forget that Television is meant to TELL A VISION and people don't keep up with the fact of who owns the networks corporately. The Corporations are whom our eyes need to be aware of when it comes to the news you get. Outside of outlets like The Real News Network or Global Research (Centre for Research on Globalization) (Centre for Research on Globalization), BBC and other independent forums, there's nothing but caution for me in what passes for the main narrative others believe in.

rvbsrgrseidxhnmogbee.jpg

And on the main concentration of who owns the media outlets on all 5 ends

And for the ways media is being controlled:

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

And here we are:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And to be clear, with regards to how many Corporations have literally backed the TTP deal despite the negative aspects to it:

ca5mcpeweaabj6b.jpg-large.jpg
A

Fascinating review on the issue...

As said there for an brief excerpt:

upload_2016-2-28_19-41-50.png

Extremists of all stripes oppose the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) Trade agreement and it’s not just the fringes on the left and right. Former US Treasury Secretary Larry Summers recently remarked at theCouncil on Foreign Relations that the four leading contenders for the US presidential race all oppose it. TPP certainly got no love at the recent Democrat debate: Bernie Sanders said he supported “fair trade” but not “free trade.”

But there’s a difference between not supporting free trade and being against trade agreements. Trade agreements, such as TPP or the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA), promote trade by eliminating tariffs and other barriers. But they also (as is the case of TPP) enforce patents, labor and environmental standards, copyrights, and other legal protections. Rather than unfettered globalization, trade agreements steer trade to certain countries and give participating governments more control on how trade is conducted. You can be against a trade agreement because you think there should be less trade (like Sanders and Donald Trump) or because you don’t like the structure of the agreement (which Hillary Clinton claims is her issue). But opposing TPP for either reason is a mistake.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

Something which did seem to be of benefit...

Latest round of TTIP talks boost momentum
Progress was made in the latest round of TTIP talks, but negotiators have a long way to go if the deal is to be signed before Barack Obama leaves office.
BILATERALS.ORG​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums