boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
When people start off as atheists but christians get them into christiainity, where exactly lies the transition to want to become christian? i guess the main reason i ask this is because i tried to truly become a christian once, and nothing ever really got me into it all the way. i've built many mental walls before so i guess that's why i never really became christian but am agnostic according to my instinct all the way to analyzing to who i am. but for others who made the transition, what's it like i suppose i'm asking? and how was it done and continue working for new christians in such transitions to this day?

thanks if anyone wants to answer.

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I used to be an atheist. It wasn't other Christians who brought me into Christianity, it was that I experienced something supernatural that led me to believe. So my transition from unbelief to belief was very sudden and unexpected. I immediately wanted to be close to God, and my values and worldviews changed right away.

But other things took time. There were things that were uncomfortable to me at first, that I had to get used to, like prayer and Christian music. There were a lot of things I had to learn, because I knew next to nothing about God or Christianity when I first believed. I am still learning. I've found articles online to be helpful when I had questions.

Can I ask what led you to try to become Christian? What were your hopes or expectations of Christianity?

Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I used to be an atheist. It wasn't other Christians who brought me into Christianity, it was that I experienced something supernatural that led me to believe. So my transition from unbelief to belief was very sudden and unexpected. I immediately wanted to be close to God, and my values and worldviews changed right away.

But other things took time. There were things that were uncomfortable to me at first, that I had to get used to, like prayer and Christian music. There were a lot of things I had to learn, because I knew next to nothing about God or Christianity when I first believed. I am still learning. I've found articles online to be helpful when I had questions.

Can I ask what led you to try to become Christian? What were your hopes or expectations of Christianity?
Things at a certain point in my life suddenly went downhill and it hasn't gone much better ever since and before then everything was great, so I tried to pray and have hope where it can only give me positive things. I found the religion fascinating and beautiful in its history, debating of some things, and the beautiful mystery of it all. My hopes was that I'd be comforted but I found my mental walls I built for my identity was too much for a sincere relationship but I still believe and am comforted but even still, I don't know it and am agnostic because of it. I just wanted to be comforted, to a sincere knowing point even though I had a unique relationship with God anyway and to this day.

Upvote 0

Porpoise

Aug 8, 2018
United States
✟70,612.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Things at a certain point in my life suddenly went downhill and it hasn't gone much better ever since and before then everything was great, so I tried to pray and have hope where it can only give me positive things. I found the religion fascinating and beautiful in its history, debating of some things, and the beautiful mystery of it all. My hopes was that I'd be comforted but I found my mental walls I built for my identity was too much for a sincere relationship but I still believe and am comforted but even still, I don't know it and am agnostic because of it. I just wanted to be comforted, to a sincere knowing point even though I had a unique relationship with God anyway and to this day.

What do you mean when you say you believe, but say you're agnostic? What is it you believe and what do you doubt?

Upvote 0

Drifter Kybe Scythe Kane

Site Supporter
Oct 12, 2017
boston
✟50,815.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
What do you mean when you say you believe, but say you're agnostic? What is it you believe and what do you doubt?
Darn, sorry, I may have gotten it wrong, some people told me you can be agnostic by being able to believe and at the same time not know it. I swear that's what I heard and I took it as gleeful news, should've looked further into it. Darn in an atheist. I thought believing and knowing we're two different things but I could have been wrong. I have unique beliefs by the way like believing in every God in anything and things like lucifer isn't evil but just didn't want to reside in heaven. Those are my beliefs. I may need another label for me.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,135,043.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
When people start off as atheists but christians get them into christiainity, where exactly lies the transition to want to become christian? i guess the main reason i ask this is because i tried to truly become a christian once, and nothing ever really got me into it all the way.
Hello Drifter,

From what I've seen, the transition process will depend upon the overall situation in which each potential convert finds himself/herself. Some people will be led to Christ by another person; some will come to Christ nearly autonomously, but with interaction later. In my case, what "got me" into Christianity didn't come by any direct or in-depth evangelical intervention, although other people were in various ways cumulatively involved in my overall change in outlook-on-life.

i've built many mental walls before so i guess that's why i never really became christian but am agnostic according to my instinct all the way to analyzing to who i am. but for others who made the transition, what's it like i suppose i'm asking? and how was it done and continue working for new christians in such transitions to this day?

thanks if anyone wants to answer.
I think all of us have "mental walls" of one sort or another that can make a desire to more fully enter into the Christian faith a problematic venture. For one, the venture is almost never a comfortable psychological transition, nor is it one that allows us to remain comfortable for very long when we have to face up to our moral shortcomings and those of the world around us. Instead, we are presented with what are reported to be divinely inspired moral propositions, and we are informed that we need to take these seriously and that we can't simply dismiss them...that is, if we're truly thinking about taking Jesus Christ as both Savior and Lord of our lives.

But, as to how this is to be done, I think only God can say since this stuff will work out differently, or somewhat differently, for each individual. There could be some similarities among different Christians, but we shouldn't expect a "one size fits all" formula for conversion, or that it will always involve someone coming along and saying to us, "...let me tell you about Jesus Christ and how to best think about Him..."

:cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0