Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Actually it makes your claim that there is a singular definition of marriage wrong.

since there is no definition of marriage in scripture that says that something other than a union between a man and a woman is acceptable, I don't see how it's wrong.

really, this line of argumentation just needs to be dropped by gay advocates as it doesn't make room for what they're arguing for. you have to find a definition that positively allows for same sex unions and it's not there.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
since there is no definition of marriage in scripture that says that something other than a union between a man and a woman is acceptable, I don't see how it's wrong.
by the same token the bible does not define marriage as exclusively between one man and one woman

really, this line of argumentation just needs to be dropped by gay advocates as it doesn't make room for what they're arguing for. you have to find a definition that positively allows for same sex unions and it's not there.
Christianity doesn't define marriage, it is a pan cultural concept existing in all religions and societies.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
by the same token the bible does not define marriage as exclusively between one man and one woman
I don't think that's so. There are a number of references to a man taking a wife and of a man and a woman marrying, etc. See the following two, for example:

Genesis 2:24: "Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh."

Matthew 19:4-5: (Jesus speaking) "He answered, ‘Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one’?"

To assume that it doesn't close the door to "marrying" a member of one's own sex or a hamster or something else is a lame argument based on nothing, really.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
I don't think that's so. There are a number of references to a man taking a wife and of a man and a woman marrying, etc. See the following two, for example:

Genesis 2:24: "Therefore a man leaves his father and his mother and cleaves to his wife, and they become one flesh."

Matthew 19:4-5: (Jesus speaking) "He answered, ‘Have you not read that he who made them from the beginning made them male and female,’ and said, ‘For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one’?"

To assume that it doesn't close the door to "marrying" a member of one's own sex or a hamster or something else is a lame argument based on nothing, really.

First: there are numerous biblical laws legitimizing polygamy and the forceful impregnation of your widowed sister in law (note that I am not advocating either activity) making the claim that marriage is exclusive to one man and one woman foundationless.

Second: This isn't an argument FOR anything, it is just pointing out the factual lapse in the claim that the bible defines marriage in a single way. This is faulty or lame argument that really needs to be set aside not just because it is factually questionable but because we live in a country that doesn't base it's legal recognition of marriage on any biblical standard.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
First: there are numerous biblical laws legitimizing polygamy and the forceful impregnation of your widowed sister in law (note that I am not advocating either activity) making the claim that marriage is exclusive to one man and one woman foundationless.
These are all qualified in scripture, however, so we know that they were not considered normal.

Second: This isn't an argument FOR anything, it is just pointing out the factual lapse in the claim that the bible defines marriage in a single way.
Very well, but if that is your point, there still is no argument in favor of same sex marriage in it.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
These are all qualified in scripture, however, so we know that they were not considered normal.

Very well, but if that is your point, there still is no argument in favor of same sex marriage in it.

Do you think the concept of a legal contract between the same gender is not bibical?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I think the issue is, if the Bible doesn’t forbid it, neither should anyone else. There are a million things people do in the real world that is not promoted in scripture such as eating baked meats, or using trees to build a house, yet it would be considered absurd to claim we shouldn’t do these things simply because they aren’t actively promoted in the bible

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single

you're attempting to backdoor the polygamy argument. it doesn't move the needle forward towards same sex marriage, plus it's done away with in the fact that Christ has one wife(the church) and that church ministers as a way of example for the entire church are instructed to have only one wife(1 timothy 3) amongst other qualities.

Upvote 0

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Christianity doesn't define marriage, it is a pan cultural concept existing in all religions and societies.
then it would seem you deny the authority of scripture over society(romans 13:1-7).

forceful impregnation of your widowed sister in law

how exactly does the fact that a man is to take a widowed woman as wife contradict the definition of marriage in genesis 2:24?

since you have yet to substantiate how these supposed different definitions contradict what genesis 2:24 says and haven't shown how homosexual marriage fits in to all this, i'd say the argument was rather affective.

Upvote 0

SilverBear

Sep 2, 2016
Michigan
✟166,106.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Widowed
you're attempting to backdoor the polygamy argument. it doesn't move the needle forward towards same sex marriage, plus it's done away with in the fact that Christ has one wife(the church) and that church ministers as a way of example for the entire church are instructed to have only one wife(1 timothy 3) amongst other qualities.
what par to of: "note that I am not advocating either activity" and "This isn't an argument FOR anything" was I unclear about?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

S.O.J.I.A.

Dynamic UNO
Nov 6, 2016
Michigan
✟98,714.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
what par to of: "note that I am not advocating either activity" and "This isn't an argument FOR anything" was I unclear about?

I've seen this line of argumentation too many times to not know where it ultimately leads..

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I think the issue is, if the Bible doesn’t forbid it, neither should anyone else.
Possibly, but in this case we have the testimony of Scripture going against it, so it's not as though the Bible is silent on the subject.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What exactly is traditional marriage? 100 years ago, it likely meant; marrying someone of the same religion, same social class, same race and same ethnicity.

Is modern traditional marriage, simply marrying someone of the opposite gender?
Well, 100 years ago it did not mean just marrying someone of the same class, religion, and etc. There was more resistance to people marrying outside their own circle; but such marriages, when they did occur (and they certainly did), were considered to be real marriages.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well, 100 years ago it did not mean just marrying someone of the same class, religion, and etc. There was more resistance to people marrying outside their own circle; but such marriages, when they did occur (and they certainly did), were considered to be real marriages.

Who determines what a "traditionall" marriage is? Who determines what a "real" marriage is?

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Can you address post 845 please.

Upvote 0