✟125,391.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What did it mean in that context?

I don't know. You're asking me to draw conclusions based on a two sentence statement asking why sons didn't marry mothers in a culture I know nothing about. As far as I know, they didn't marry their mothers because they married other women. I lack the entire context of the social structure to present any reasonable explanation as to why they did or didn't do anything.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
I don't know. You're asking me to draw conclusions based on a two sentence statement asking why sons didn't marry mothers in a culture I know nothing about. As far as I know, they didn't marry their mothers because they married other women. I lack the entire context of the social structure to present any reasonable explanation as to why they did or didn't do anything.

Did it mean something economic?

Upvote 0

dayhiker

Mature veteran
Sep 13, 2006
MA
✟220,077.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ya, ministers have done a disservice to the church making statements about the Bible teaching so much about marriage when in reality it says very little about marriage. A few general concepts here and there, a few marriages described and then we have some of the favorite passages aren't about marriage at all like the one people like in Ruth.

Reactions: Strathos
Upvote 0

Owen GB5

Apr 21, 2017
Dunedin
✟12,983.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Not according to 1 Cor 7.4:

The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does.

This works very well in practice. It is a lot of fun!

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Freedom for some us does not mean without consequences.
Yes, nothing comes without consequences. In my understanding, though, we better distinguish between consequences and risks, and between consequences and punishment.
And, yes of course, everyone has to decide for themselves what risks to take or not to take.

Now, I struggle with same-sex attraction. I hate my sin. I also have a problem with lust. But I am making steps towards stopping. Being on a Christian site is helpful.

But the point I am making is that I have the freedom to date men and even marry them, but in the end it will kill me.
How so?
I also have the freedom to eat unhealthy, to smoke, to drink excessive amount of alcohol (which could damage my liver); I could even ignore my homosexual desires and have excessive amount of sex with women. I could do all these things, but there will still be consequences. Eating junk food all the time can make me fat and unhealthy, drinking excessive amount of alcohol can damage my liver, smoking can give lung cancer, and having excessive amount of sex whether it's with a man or female can give me sexually transmitted disease.
Yes, you described the risks that come with these behaviours - but for some reason you forgot to get to the point: The dangerous risks or consequences that come with marrying a man. :)
And most importantly my disobedience to the word of God will send me to hell.
Uhm, ok. Up to now you talked about real world risks, now you suddenly started talking about supernatural punishments.

What does have to do with what you just said? Freedom does not mean free of consequence.
Agreed. The post you responded to talked about allowing everyone the freedom to decide for themselves what risks or consequences to accept, though.

Now, I respect your beliefs and atheists beliefs, so this is not preaching at you. I am just looking for some understanding why I believe what I believe.
That´s fine (even though I don´t know what you mean by "atheist beliefs"), and I am just giving you feedback as to what I understand and where you lose me.

I grew up being taught what sin is. My mother told me her experience with God. I can't help but believe her. I saw the way that she lived and she doesn't lie. She wasn't perfect, but she never lied. This the reason I believe the Bible.
I see. Now, maybe your mother never lied, but maybe she occasionally overstepped the boundaries of the fields of her expertise? ;)

Now, the Christian Bible in Romans it talks about God abandoning people to do what they want. So God gives us freedom. But there is still consequences.
Personally, I have a problem with the idea that willfully and intentionally imposing punishment on someone is a form of giving them "freedom".

So I will admit, it does not seem like freedom. But, even though it doesn't feel like freedom, it doesn't mean I don't have freedom.
I think the post you responded pleaded for society not limiting exactly that which you consider "freedom" (e.g. to engage in risky behaviours) any further.

I wish you all the best.

Upvote 0