United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
I was referring to how in church they talked about abstinence but they never actually talk about what getting married means-it depends on the circumstances.
Well, in modern Christianity, it generally means that the two people are legally married. A Jewish married couple would not be viewed as fornicators, for example. Denominations differ on whether same-sex marriages and remarriages count.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Well, in modern Christianity, it generally means that the two people are legally married. A Jewish married couple would not be viewed as fornicators, for example. Denominations differ on whether same-sex marriages and remarriages count.

Legally married means what specifically?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
k, why is that relevant?

because at church they talk about the importance of getting married with regards to abstinence (I agree with that 100%), but they never talk about the meaning of getting married. Other time periods didnt have lawyers.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Biblical marriage is defined at lest seven different ways.
Please list them with the relevant scripture references.

I am very curious about that.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Please list them with the relevant scripture references.

I am very curious about that.

Do you find my questions about the definition of marriage understandable? I asked my brother what the definition was, he said something about it depends-like there's not one definition.

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Do you find my questions about the definition of marriage understandable? I asked my brother what the definition was, he said something about it depends-like there's not one definition.
I say this politely, but it seems as if you won't be satisfied with any answer, no matter how many different ways we put it. You seem to pick apart every response.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,569.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Yes, marriage is a broad term for a basic union between families centering upon two individuals joining each others' families (or more, in polygamous marriages). However, variety of unions? Not so much, the basic premise of marriage is pretty much the same in all cultures that practice it, although the spiritual significance tacked on will vary from culture to culture.

Joining each others families is a confusing definition, because in some countries people marry their own cousins-and they are already related.

Upvote 0