Traditional Liturgy in Contemporary Language

• Thread starter GratiaCorpusChristi
  • Start date
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

So, this isn't addressed so much to practitioners of contemporary evangelical worship as those of us in churches that have mixed/blended worship with the traditional form and basic wording of the liturgy but with contemporary language- I'm looking at you LSB DS IV, Common Worship, and ELW.

The first minute is pretty much how I feel:

An Honest Prayer - YouTube[/embed]

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
GratiaCorpusChristi said:
So, this isn't addressed so much to practitioners of contemporary evangelical worship as those of us in churches that have mixed/blended worship with the traditional form and basic wording of the liturgy but with contemporary language- I'm looking at you LSB DS IV, Common Worship, and ELW. The first minute is pretty much how I feel: An Honest Prayer - YouTube[/embed]
eh?

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Basically that the traditional liturgy when done in contemporary English is fine, but when done in idiomatic English it just sounds silly.

I think what people sometimes fail to realize is that the "archaic" language used is older liturgies wasn't idiomatic either.

Upvote 0

Keachian

On Sabbatical
Feb 3, 2010
Horse-lie-down
Visit site
✟23,842.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I think what people sometimes fail to realize is that the "archaic" language used is older liturgies wasn't idiomatic either.

I think this misunderstanding about the difference between idiomaticism and contemporary language sometimes fuels the KJVO claims that the KJV was never contemporary in its language, it was never idiomatic but it certainly was contemporary.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟829,428.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
So, this isn't addressed so much to practitioners of contemporary evangelical worship as those of us in churches that have mixed/blended worship with the traditional form and basic wording of the liturgy but with contemporary language- I'm looking at you LSB DS IV, Common Worship, and ELW.

The first minute is pretty much how I feel:

An Honest Prayer - YouTube[/embed]

We used DS IV this morning; it is a contemporary English of the first "Lutheran" setting of the Mass use in Sweden. The musical score is very much removed from what it would have been in the 15-1600's in Sweden too. The only criticism I have for this setting is that I don't like it. It and DS V are a bit "low" for me; and I don't like that the Ordinary Canticles are paraphrases, not translations. Theologically, it's adiaphora so there is no real grounds to oppose their use; but that does not mean we have to like it.

My favorite remains DS III; the traditional language and music, and this is a true "High Mass".

Do you remember LW?... what a liturgical, musical and literary mess.:doh::doh::doh:

The recent re-translation of the Catholic Mass shows that they realized that 1970's translations appealed to popularity as much as they did to accuracy; the ball bounces back though, and today both of our Churches have striven for more accuracy. That begs the question; why paraphrases in DS IV?

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,273,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
We use the NIV which wouldn't be my first pick but it's not a deal breaker for me either. I would prefer a stronger more literal contemporary translation which would still be readily understood by the common listener yet sends a more powerful message.

Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I think this misunderstanding about the difference between idiomaticism and contemporary language sometimes fuels the KJVO claims that the KJV was never contemporary in its language, it was never idiomatic but it certainly was contemporary.

I tend to characterize it, and the Book of Common Prayer, as poetry. The way the language was constructed was just not the way people construct everyday speech, even when they do it fairly self-consciously.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

We use the NIV which wouldn't be my first pick but it's not a deal breaker for me either. I would prefer a stronger more literal contemporary translation which would still be readily understood by the common listener yet sends a more powerful message.

Have you checked out the God's Word translation? It's very much contemporary English but not really idiomatic. The translation philosophy is eclectic, depending on the book, genre, phrasing, so at points it's closer to formal equivalence ("literal") and at others to paraphrase, but from my knowledge of Greek it seems to be superior in a number of ways in rendering the Greek into full, complete, contemporary (but not idiomatic) English.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Have you checked out the God's Word translation? It's very much contemporary English but not really idiomatic. The translation philosophy is eclectic, depending on the book, genre, phrasing, so at points it's closer to formal equivalence ("literal") and at others to paraphrase, but from my knowledge of Greek it seems to be superior in a number of ways in rendering the Greek into full, complete, contemporary (but not idiomatic) English.

Oh, that's good to hear. I read it only when I'm comparing verses in many translations, but I do often find I like it.

As for your MP video - yikes! I can see where something yes, can sound just silly. I don't like "idiomatic" translations, music, or anything else. The Message is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me.

But I had never even conceived of an idiomatic liturgy.

(I'm currently trying to deal with it in Greek, which is beautiful but ... I need a lot of work, lol)

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Yeah, I went to a church back in Maryland where the confession of sins was a prayer on behalf of the birds and trees and flowers for the bad things we'd done to them.

SERIOUSLY???? :eek: (no :jawdrop: smiley)

:doh:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

What was the context for this; it could be that of raising awareness of environmental stewardship.

Exactly what I said: it was part of the confession of sins that opens every Lutheran service. The standard text is:

Most merciful God, we confess that we are by nature sinful and unclean. We have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We justly deserve your present and eternal punishment. For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on us. Forgive us, renew us, and lead us, so that we may delight in Your will and walk in Your ways to the glory of Your holy name. Amen.

The pattern was basically the same up until the second to last sentence, where instead of asking for God's forgiveness (the whole point of the confession) we instead asked God to help out the rivers and trees and flowers.

Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,637.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Exactly what I said: it was part of the confession of sins that opens every Lutheran service. The standard text is:

Most merciful God, we confess that we are by nature sinful and unclean. We have sinned against you in thought, word, and deed, by what we have done, and by what we have left undone. We have not loved you with our whole heart; we have not loved our neighbors as ourselves. We justly deserve your present and eternal punishment. For the sake of Your Son, Jesus Christ, have mercy on us. Forgive us, renew us, and lead us, so that we may delight in Your will and walk in Your ways to the glory of Your holy name. Amen.

The pattern was basically the same up until the second to last sentence, where instead of asking for God's forgiveness (the whole point of the confession) we instead asked God to help out the rivers and trees and flowers.

I'm all for including our injustice against creation as part of our confession, but without actually the petition for forgiveness it seems entirely pointless. It's just an exercise in nothing.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

I'm all for including our injustice against creation as part of our confession, but without actually the petition for forgiveness it seems entirely pointless. It's just an exercise in nothing.

-CryptoLutheran

Exactly my thinking :)

Well that was exactly the problem. The confession of sins was not followed by a petition for forgiveness, but a prayer on behalf of the rivers and trees.

However, the corporate confession of sins is not a time, I think, for the enumeration of particular sins. Not everyone sins in the same way; many people (especially in the congregation's affluent, Maryland neighborhood) are particularly conscientious about environmental studentship. But we have all failed to love God with our whole heart and to love our neighbors as ourselves- the summation of the two realms of right living. To begin enumerating particular sins in corporate, public confession is to open a huge can of worms.

If the pastor knows (based upon good pastoral care through counseling and private confession) that there are several sins that plague the congregation, or which the congregation does but seems particularly ignorant of, the place to address those in public is the sermon. That's why my pastor has given particularly ardent sermons recently on gluttony (something we're ignorant of, but is quite visible) and inappropriate contentography (something people widely but secretly acknowledge). To include either of those in the confession of sins would be no service to, for instance, my wife.

Upvote 0