• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Totally Random Science Facts

Discussion in 'Physical & Life Sciences' started by MorkandMindy, Sep 22, 2010.

1. lesliedellow

lesliedellow Member

+2,520
    Calvinist
    Single
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Relatively speaking of course. It's still about 1,234,511,348,000 miles.

2. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    Huh?

If the fleas jump simultaneously, each of them still only has to lift its own weight.

For humans to be better at jumping, they would have to lift their weight relatively higher (i.e. produce more force per unit mass) than the fleas. That doesn't change if you have a million fleas. So yes, the jumping over towers comparison is relevant.

No, it's the same if both animals reach the same height per unit mass. Actually, not even that, because that doesn't take the amount of fuel used in reaching that height into account.

Ah, you mean muscle metabolism by chemical energy. Ooookay, that wasn't exactly clear...

3. MorkandMindy

MorkandMindy Senior Veteran Supporter

+487
    United States
    Single
    US-Others
    We agree it isn't body length that is the important factor, but disagree over the significance of body mass.

I guess the best way to approach the question is to assume the same jump height and see what comes from that.

The flea weighs 0.4 mg and the human 40 kg, so the human is 100 million times heavier.

To raise the human the same amount as the flea requires 100 million times as much energy.

The human carries around 100 million times as much stored fat, so has 100 million times as much energy available.

Hence both, one jumping up steps and the other walking up them, will use the same proportion of body weight when climbing a stairway of the same height.

To put numbers in, a human would burn off 1% of their body fat climbing 10 km, that is going up the Eiffel Tower 30 times, (it would require a very fit person to have big enough muscles to convert the food energy into height in a reasonable length of time),

If it did scale by mass, a factor of 100 million leaves the flea having to jump 0.1 mm to burn off 1% of it's body mass, and a jump of 10 mm would destroy all of it.

As a proportion of body mass, both the flea and the human burn the same amount by jumping the same height.

4. Soul Searcher

Soul Searcher The kingdom is within

+3,381
    Christian Seeker
    Married
    The way I see it is it does not matter how many fleas you use a flea can jump only so far so if it is 1 or 1 million the distance will not change unless of course you are adding them together. Still in porportion to size the flea jumps much farther than a human. I really don't see the point in talking about a bunch of fleas compared to a human unless you add them together in which case the fleas win easily.

5. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+602
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    Dog allergies are from the hair, while cat allergies are from the saliva. Both take about ten years to disappear from a house once either species is removed (so nine years after your house is cat free, you'll still pose something of a risk to people with cat allergies).

Fo' shizzle.

6. Blayz

Blayz Well-Known Member

+216
    Atheist
    Married
    Time flies like an arrow
    fruit flies like a banana

7. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    You just gave me permanent brain damage.

8. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    Wiccan, can you unconfuse me re: fleas?

:nooo:

My brain, it's inherently incapable of dealing with simple Newtonian mechanics.

9. Wiccan_Child

Wiccan_Child Contributor

+602
    Atheist
    In Relationship
    UK-Liberal-Democrats

10. TemperateSeaIsland

TemperateSeaIsland Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

+162
    Atheist
    Single
    Maggots look funny under an electron microscope

[​IMG]

11. Naraoia

+293
    Atheist
    Single
    Ah, that's awesome!

Of course, it had to be false coloured so that the oral hooks look like vertebrate teeth ^_^

12. LifeToTheFullest!

LifeToTheFullest! Well-Known Member

+139
    Agnostic
    You can tuna fish,
    But you can't tuna piano.

:p

13. Cabal

Cabal Well-Known Member

+452
    Atheist
    Engaged
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    it's dr breen

14. Cabal

Cabal Well-Known Member

+452
    Atheist
    Engaged
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    (sin x) / n = six

15. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+17,842
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    I'd rather have a free bottle in front of me
    Than a prefrontal lobotomy

16. TemperateSeaIsland

TemperateSeaIsland Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

+162
    Atheist
    Single
    :)

Tom Waits is great, that's another scientific fact.

17. kharisym

kharisym Guest

+0
    Prefrontal lobotomies can be morally cleansing.

18. lemmings

lemmings Veteran

+125
    Atheist
    Private
    when: n = (sin x)/6 and x can not be defined by the expression pi * e where e is any integer value.

19. Cabal

Cabal Well-Known Member

+452
    Atheist
    Engaged
    UK-Liberal-Democrats
    quiet you :p

20. Archer93

Archer93 Regular Member

+111
    Pagan
    Married
    Gnyaaaah! (That was the actual sound I made when I saw this picture :eek:)
    You have an even weirder idea of 'funny' than I do! :wave:
    Very cool, though.