Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Most toothpaste out there is marketed as a band-aid for poor oral hygene, and a poorly designed cosmetic. The best selling toothpastes in the US like Crest rank moderate to high in abrasion. While it's true that most tooth wear is due to attrition (grinding) and erosion (acids in food and decay), for some individuals it's possible to do damage over time by using an abrasive toothpaste, especially if it's paired with aggressive brushing habits. Typically what is experienced as a result of this kind of abrasion is tooth sensitivity: exposed dentinal tubules that carry painful sensations deep into the tooth and its nerves.

And yet you really don't need that kind of abrasivity to keep your teeth clean if you brush twice a day and floss.

Toothpaste can do more harm than good

I've been experimenting with using non-abrasive toothpaste tablets (Weldental's Toothpaste Tabs): just soap (sodium stearate), lathering agents, and mint flavor with some buffering compounds. It seems to be cleaning my teeth just as well as using regular toothpaste. You can use a fluoride rinse, fluoride treatment gel or tooth mousse afterwards: fluoride mouthwash like Act has about the same fluoride bioavailability as any toothpaste. If you need stain removal, they also make some that have baking soda, which alters the tooth pellicle to allow the organic matter trapped inside to escape (the pellicle is the slime layer that is formed from saliva that is prone to staining), but is otherwise non-abrasive.

Other options might be to use a child's toothpaste, as most of them are low abrasivity. Some of the sensitive toothpastes like Sensodyne Pronamel are also low-abrasive, as are some high end/boutique toothpastes like Theodent or Squiggle (as are some of Tom's of Maine's toothpastes), and most of Arm & Hammer's non-whitening toothpaste's are low abrasivity. Colgate Original Anti-Cavity is bordering on a medium abrasivity, and is the lowest abrasivity of any of the older, well-established brands of toothpaste still on store shelves (Rembrandt Original was a low abrasive toothpaste, but Rembrandt's non-whitening toothpastes haven't been widely stocked in some time).

• Informative
Reactions: Captain Ahab

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
definitely give tooth paste to the homeless though.

Interestingly enough, that might relate to the true origins of toothpaste, with its origins in the 19th century in the US. At the time toothpowders were highly abrasive (Colgate has a Radioactive Dentin Abrasivity of about 70, whereas early toothpastes could be 500-1000, containing ingredients like pumice). Early toothpastes weren't any different. They were so abrasive because tooth brushing was not a daily habit for most people (and often in families that were not wealthy, toothbrushes were shared), and toothpaste was basically sold as a cosmetic. And that's how most dentists at the time regarded it as well.

So the abrasivity of toothpaste actually reveals its origins as a cosmetic at a time when few people regularly brushed their teeth.

Upvote 0

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
I prefer tooth powder. I make my own. We used Hello in the past. The charcoal version. But its messy and we’re going back to powder. Some swear by oil pulling too.

In theory, there's nothing wrong with tooth powder, but some are unnecessarily abrasive or lack any way to effectively remineralize teeth.

The current fad of the "toothpaste tablet" is just tooth powder compressed into a tablet. Personally, I would prefer tooth powder, I think toothpaste tablets are unnecessarily wasteful of product. Most contain alot more powder than you actually need to brush.

This toothpaste is good, it contains Biomin which is the same stuff that's used in biomimetic dentistry as a filling material. It's on the mild side and not highly abrasive, and it's also non-toxic which means it's safe for anyone to use.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Collins-BioMin-Toothpaste-Ounce/dp/B07H944RLG/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3PAA4JAJS8JZ5&keywords=biomin&qid=1645009976&s=beauty&sprefix=biomin,beauty,81&sr=1-1

Dr. Collins markets alot of good evidence-based dental care products in the US. Bigger companies spend alot of money on advertising and paying to be on store shelves but alot of their products aren't particularly good for your teeth (most tartar control and whitening toothpastes block remineralization of enamel with ingredients like pyrophosphate, a calcium chelator). They are band-aids for poor oral hygene and dietary practices.

As far as mass-market, inexpensive toothpastes go, Sensodyne Pronamel is probably the safest choice and the most effective for remineralization. And it's the one most recommended by dental hygenists, who actually have alot of experience seeing the results of various oral care products. Years ago, Enamelon was sold in stores but it didn't sell well because it was crowded out by less worthy competitors with bigger budgets, but it was also very effective at preventing or even reversing cavities (now it's available online and through dental supplies).

Last edited:
Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0