USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
I attended a missionary preparation program through the church. It was meant to help participants discern if they’re called to be missionaries and provide emotional support through the process.

It is a difficult life and more challenging than most expect. Finances are the greatest hardship. We were a sending church and provided support for missionaries but they still required sponsorship from others. If you don’t enter with sizable resources or have reliable people who’ll provide a steady stream of income it can be brutal.

Some find local employment or pursue other means of earning. Those in closed countries have a harder time. Dating on the mission field is incredibly hard. We were fortunate to have monthly reports from missionaries home on furlough. They provided realistic snapshots of life in the field.

I’ve supported missionaries in the past. They frequently endured financial hardships and were in need of extra help. The letters were informative. It was wonderful to see God working through them to reach others.

But the frequent instability can take a toll. Not to mention the isolation and loneliness. It is probable someone seeking a companion will focus most on pressing needs. We all do that in our own way.

I don’t think its always due to greed or the negative things we suspect of others. Oftentimes our desire for security reveals itself in unexpected ways. And the things we’ve attached to that feeling are influenced by factors which have nothing to do with the other person.

When we encounter their sentiments and feel rebuffed, disheartened, or angered. We’re responding to what was said. But are we listening to what’s behind the message? What are they really communicating to us through their brokenness?

A fixation on financial comfort may really be a fear of lack or reflect a time of dire need. The individual who rails against resources is saying the same in a different way. They’re articulating the pain of need and a want for stability in its place.

If we stop with what is said we’ll miss the real message from the heart. It doesn’t always reveal itself as candidly as we believe. When I think of the times I’ve neglected to hear. I chose to listen to the surface and failed to probe deeper. I realize I’ve missed opportunities for love, service, and greater bonding.

Healthy relationships require us to suspend our preconceptions and knee jerk reactions. If we’re honest about our offenses we’ll recognize we’ve done the same more times than we can count.

Who can say they’ve never been greedy, selfish, or short-tempered? Isn’t it strange we become upset when others do the same? I am learning to acknowledge my dislike of negative experiences to the Lord. But I follow the admission with an honest question, “Have I done the same to someone else?”

Without fail He brings to my remembrance my mistakes and failures. Reconciling them is my goal. Its hard to be loving if we’re unwilling to see beyond others’ imperfections. And harder to administer grace if we give it grudgingly.

I’m beginning to realize that bother is more about my growth in Him than their offense. Each instance provides an opportunity for introspection and greater humility. And that pleases Him.

Upvote 0

Tokitee

A prayer warrior in the Catholic Church.
Oct 12, 2018
Oregon
✟12,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Um...this is advice for the OP.
You can date someone who believes in Jesus and has Christian morals, but please don't read, "I kissed dating goodbye". It ruined my relationship with a childhood friend of mine.
It wasn't good because it taught to suppress your feelings.

Suppressing your feelings, isnt natural when you like someone, especially with someone you grew up with. You want to be close to that person.
We were walking, and I wanted to hold his hand one day, but because I believed the book. I didnt.

I did what the book told me, to have God centered relationship. The feelings of love for him, turned into anxiety and I began to ask myself. Am I a good enough Christian? Does this dress have sleeves, and hides my knees? And when is it appropriate to give him a hug or hold his hand? I held my actions and feelings back a lot. Later, he moved on to a different girl who was from Israel and knew more about the history of Christianity.
I could have been his Christian wife the one he was looking for

Just be careful when you look for love advice.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Miles
Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Um...this is advice for the OP. You can date someone who believes in Jesus and has Christian morals, but please don't read, "I kissed dating goodbye". It ruined my relationship with a childhood friend of mine.
It also wasn't good because it taught to suppress your feelings, in favor of God's call for you. So, I did, and the feeling of love for him turned into fear and I began to ask myself, am I a good enough Christian? And when is it appropriate to give him a hug or hold his hand? So, I held my actions and feelings back. Soon, he moved on to a different girl who was from Israel.
I could have been his Christian wife the one he was looking for. What a tragedy

Just be careful when you look for love advice.
Do you know the guy who wrote it stopped being a Christian?

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Funny, back when in my old Christian circles (different location) they swore by that book.

I read the book. I agreed with some parts and felt others were too extreme. Now I find the Lord moving me in a similar direction. Courtship instead of dating. And my daughter wants an arranged marriage. I will assist in her search but feel a courtship is best when an appropriate suitor is found.

This approach works for us. He’s been preparing us for marriage for several years. But I wouldn’t make it a rule for everyone.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I read the book. I agreed with some parts and felt others were too extreme. Now I find the Lord moving me in a similar direction. Courtship instead of dating. And my daughter wants an arranged marriage. I will assist in her search but feel a courtship is best when an appropriate suitor is found.

This approach works for us. He’s been preparing us for marriage for several years. But I wouldn’t make it a rule for everyone.

Arranged marriages are archaic these days. Definitely not an American practice. Back then, marriages were a business deal and it was done when when women were used as bargaining chips or part of a deal between families.

Still some middle-Eastern cultures practices this BUT...those being coupled up do have a choice of turning the other down.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Arranged marriages are archaic these days. Definitely not an American practice. Back then, marriages were a business deal and it was done when when women were used as bargaining chips or part of a deal between families.

Nothing is archaic if you practice it. Many people believe religion is the same. Others find it meaningful. Given the state of our culture, I couldn’t fathom marrying without familial input and counsel.

Upvote 0

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Nothing is archaic if you practice it. Many people believe religion is the same. Others find it meaningful. Given the state of our culture, I couldn’t fathom marrying without familial input and counsel.

Input and counsel is different than from your parents fixing you up. That's not na arranged marriage. Of course, if your parents have passe away, then you're left to your own counsel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟951,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
Input and counsel is different than from your parents fixing you up. That's not na arranged marriage. Of course, if your parents have passe away, then you're left to your own counsel.

Input and counsel is appropriate at my age. My daughter desires a more hands on approach. But I expect her to decide if he’s suitable. :)

Upvote 0