too much sin for heaven?

The Nihilist

Contributor
Sep 14, 2006
✟16,289.00
Faith
Atheist
well why do i always feel guilty then :( even just day to day. i always feel like the stuff from my past that i have repented from is to bad for me to go to heaven for. even though ive already repented for doing it! also. how do we know the girl we want to mary if we dont have sex before marriage? im a guy so obviously this is huge for me, but i see it like a car. shouldnt you test drive it first? what happens if you mary a girl and you realise down the road your not attracted to her or it is really boring being with her? what do you do?

Being 19 can be pretty tough, bro. The reason you feel bad and guilty is because that's what it's like to be 19. It'll pass before long, but it doesn't mean that you're a bad person or a sinner or whatever. Those feelings are not linked to reality, and you'd have them no matter what you did. Honestly, though, they'll leave on their own. Take a deep breath, relax, and try to do your best. You'll get there.

Upvote 0

Skaloop

Agnostic atheist, pro-choice anti-abortion
May 10, 2006
Burnaby
Visit site
✟29,046.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-NDP
so what do i do? does it pretty much give us a license to sin?

Some people think it does, and act that way. It is one of the reasons I am not a believer myself.

However, many Christians will tell you that being a Christian is not just about believing in Christ's salvation so that you can avoid hell for the sins you commit. Rather, Christianity is about a personal relationship with God/Jesus, a relationship by which you are transformed and enlightened so that your desire to sin is reduced (not eliminated, but reduced). If you continue to struggle with the sins you mention, that relationship with Jesus will help you address the urges and deal with them in a healthier manner.

I guess it depends on your goal. Do you just want to stop feeling guilty about your sins when you do them, or do you actually want to make personal changes so that you don't do them any more?

Reactions: razeontherock
Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
well why do i always feel guilty then :( even just day to day. i always feel like the stuff from my past that i have repented from is to bad for me to go to heaven for. even though ive already repented for doing it! also. how do we know the girl we want to mary if we dont have sex before marriage? im a guy so obviously this is huge for me, but i see it like a car. shouldnt you test drive it first? what happens if you mary a girl and you realise down the road your not attracted to her or it is really boring being with her? what do you do?

Your honesty is refreshing. This area of life is the most challenging for almost every Christian, and Jesus' words "deny yourself take up your Cross and follow "[Him] do not tell us we can expect things to suddenly get easy.

I have no magic wand to give you; that's just not part of our armor. (As much as we might wish) Surprisingly, some of what the atheists here have been telling you is actually true. Generally, coming to this mixed section is NOT how to strengthen your Faith! Here's a good case in point, of a mindset that will merely tear you down:

No fornicator or unclean person etc etc shall enter the gates of heaven. Firstly this is speaking of those under the law, in Christ you receive grace and entrance into heaven through Christ forgiveness.

That is purely false. This is a difficult thing to wrap one's head around, for sure! Yet this brand new member who failed in his attempt at Christianity claims to have "read the Bible extensively," yet also messes up some pretty basic things, too:

how many times you should forgive your neighbor who wrongs you. 7x77 times

He doesn't know his Bible as well as he claims. If he did, he wouldn't be sporting an atheist icon, signifying his brain has been darkened by rejecting God's sweet Holy Spirit.

That is not the source to get your Spiritual understanding from! And most assuredly, your topic here is very much Spiritual. We need to look at it from God's vantage point, which this person plainly admits he just isn't interested in. (And it's readily evident he was never privy to that, which no doubt is connected to his failure as a Christian; i.e., footsteps NOT to follow)

Even so, some Truth is still mixed in:

in Hebrew symbolism basically means you never stop forgiving and such is Christ's attitude toward you. However true repentance actually comes from a Greek word that means to turn away, so true repentance is a turning away not toward sin.

The time limit on that is 130 years. Are you 130 years old yet? If you are then maybe you have exhausted G-d's patience. ;)

Yes, being 19 IS stressful! Let's not swap war stories; let's get the mind of Christ, and the helmet of Salvation. Speaking of which, what is the very FIRST piece of our armor? The bottom line here, is to invite Christ into this part of your life, which has been incredibly awkward for me, but I sure wish somebody had told me that at 19

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so what do i do? does it pretty much give us a license to sin?

:idea:
Your conscience convicts you. The Holy Spirit convicts us not only of sin, but of righteousness, and also of Judgment. And this shows up in our conscience.

Listen to it! Listen to Him! You DO know the Truth: how can we who are dead to sin, live any longer therein? God forbid.

And yet we struggle. At times that makes no sense. On the Cross, Jesus asked His Father "why have you forsaken me?" IOW, He knows our every struggle, including when we get confused and lose sight of the big picture.

Like a caterpillar in a cocoon, struggling to break out in the process of becoming a butterfly, so too we have to actually struggle on our own. This is the exact process that "being transformed by the renewing of our minds" refers to! And we know that the suffering in this life isn't even worth comparing to the Glory that will be revealed ...

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟323,383.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
You might have to allow for a bit more time to get responses. Patience...

If having sex outside of marriage keeps a person out of heaven, then well over 90% of people aren't going there. Throw in unclean thoughts or lust, and that probably means that nobody is getting into heaven.

But, from what I understand of how it's purported to work, if you are truly repentant and if you accept Jesus as your saviour, you'll get into heaven no matter what sins you might have committed.

I don't think those are quite enough to get to nobody makes it. But if we add 'Judge not lest ye be judged' it will be getting very select.

On a more seroius note. My understanding is that if one has truely accepted Christ then you have submitted to God who will work to change you. And a proper understanding of purgatory is NOT that it is a different place after death and not that it is paying for sins in some punative sense, but rather the last of that changing and cleansing process, which may in fact be 'painful' but results in a sin free being.

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
MOD HAT ON

A few reminders:

● Those who do not adhere to the Statement of Faith are welcome as members and participants in discussions, but you are required to respect these beliefs, even if you do not share them.

● You will not insult or mock Christianity or any part of the Trinity-Father(God), Son(Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. Honest debate about the nature of God and Christianity is allowed, but derogatory remarks will be promptly removed.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

suzybeezy

Reports Manager
Nov 1, 2004
USA
✟82,735.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
so does that mean i am forgiven even thought i had sex as a christian?

God will forgive a repented heart. The key is to not continue to sin if you're asking him to forgive you. And we all sin, and we all fail, but when we recognize it, we go to the Lord and seek his guidance and assistance to help us to turn away from it. And honestly, its not a cure - you really have to work at it to abstain from the sin, but the more you do, the stronger you become.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Iona27

Sep 4, 2011
✟15,156.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
It is true that sex before Marriage is against God. But, there is no perfect person out there. There is no Christian out there who is perfect. I think what you need to do is just tell God that you're sorry for your sins. He has already forgiven you, but the fact that you would be asking for His forgiveness shows that you know that what you're doing, whatever sin it may be, is wrong.

Remember that we are always going to sin. But regardless of this Jesus loves us and wants to be with us. That's why He died from the Cross for our sins. Read John 17. This is the best example of how Jesus felt towards us.

You are loved and are precious to the Lord. Good luck with everything.

Upvote 0

guitarguy93

Apr 4, 2012
✟7,635.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ok, well then what about this. lets say two christian couples have already had sex before marriage. one couple just did it the night before and repents and feel bad about it, and the other couple is in the middle of doing it and GOD comes down from heaven to take people to heaven. if we are forgiven after we ask then the couple who repented would go to heaven right? but what about the couple in the middle of doing it? even if they felt bad after and would repent their outta luck. GOD is here. what happens?

Upvote 0

Iona27

Sep 4, 2011
✟15,156.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Labour
That's a very good question. We were forgiven on the Cross before any of our sins were committed. For example, when Jesus died for our sins, He took the sins of people who were currently on the Earth and those who were to be born and living on the Earth, i.e. people born after Him.

Every sin we've committed, even sex before marriage, has already been forgiven.

In the case of the unmarried couples, they will both go to Heaven as long as they have accepted Jesus as their saviour and have followed Him. Even though, sex before marriage, goes against God, it really is one of many sins that go against Him. But, all these sins have all been forgiven.

There is only one sin that goes against God and can't easily be forgiven by Him. Apparently, this is sin against the Holy Spirit. But, that's another subject altogether.

Has this helped in any way?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
ok, well then what about this. lets say two christian couples have already had sex before marriage. one couple just did it the night before and repents and feel bad about it, and the other couple is in the middle of doing it and GOD comes down from heaven to take people to heaven. if we are forgiven after we ask then the couple who repented would go to heaven right? but what about the couple in the middle of doing it? even if they felt bad after and would repent their outta luck. GOD is here. what happens?

Look at the times people asked Jesus about the fate of others. They got a very stern rebuke! And were told to follow Him ...

"Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
U

UnamSanctam

so i have a few questions. 1. the bible says that if you repent all sins are forgiven right? it also says that if you have sex or anything like sex before marriage you will not enter the kingdom of heaven. or even if you have unclean thoughts or lust after a woman before marriage or a marrid woman you will not enter. so. being a guy and human. ive already had sex before marriage and doen other things. i feel guilty about them yes and i have repented and i try incredibly hard to not do these things. but if i have already done them then i cannot eneter the kingdom of heaven right? so what would be the point it not doing it anymore?

There is no sin that cannot be forgiven. It's simply plain wrong for someone to tell you "If you've had sex before marriage, then sorry - deal's off".
Sex outside of marriage (before, or with someone else than your spouse) is a sin, yes. And LIVING IN SIN means exclusion from the Kingdom. "Living in sin" is the unrepentant attitude saying: "I'm going to do this and it's right because I feel it is", basically. More or less what the gay lobby demands no one challenge.

So: You've had sex before marriage. Not the best move, to be sure. But we have been told that there is no sin (save one, and that's a longer story, but it sure as darn isn't sex before marriage) that cannot be forgiven.
Give it to God, ask forgiveness.....and move on. The only sin you can commit that will exclude you from the Kingdom, is the one where you say to Jesus (and I can hardly get myself to type this): Dude, get the .... out of my life.

Upvote 0

CounselorForChrist

Senior Veteran
Aug 24, 2010
✟15,792.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
ANY sin can be forgiven. Its why atheist don't understand how a pedophile can get into heaven after being so horrible. But God iws not like us, he forgives all. The catch is if you really mean it. He knows what in your heart. To many I know think you can sin then ask for forgivness over and over. If your using forgiveness as an excuse to sin then your in for a rude awakening. Sure you will still get into heaven, but your gonna have to answer for that. Although if you fall from God thats the ONLY time you don't go to heaven.

Upvote 0
U

UnamSanctam

GOD is here. what happens?
Awkward moment with Jesus standing next to the bed saying "Wanna stop, so we can go, already?"

Seriously, people need to stop thinking of sex outside marriage as THE SINGLE WORST POSSIBLE SIN EVER. It isn't. Yes, it is sin, that much is indisputable. But it is not the only sin, by a long shot.
There's a cultural problem amongst Christians - where we're basically panicking about anything that has to do with sex....but have no problem talking about people behind their backs, being selfish, etc. It's beyond dysfunctional.

Upvote 0