Too much focus on Testimony and emotional response?

ThisIsMe123

This And That
Mar 13, 2017
✟186,863.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Didn't know what category to put this in, but I may have mentioned in the past to have joined a recent Christian singles group, but they seem too fixated on giving testimony and I even feel pressured to give testimony when the leader is attempting to goad people to be a "sound board" to the Lord, and through Him, you speak your words/testimony.

I had read up on this, and interestingly enough, it seems they could be doing it wrong. That it's more a focus on self (narcissistic) than on other things. It's also to elicit an emotion or catharsis of sorts to prove a point.

This article explains just that.: Your Testimony Isn’t About You | Desiring God

"Your testimony isn't about you."

And then there's "What we are getting wrong about giving testimony"

These topics are very enlightening, as I think I posted in a previous post how during a casual birthday get together at someone's apartment that turned into a cult-like, impromptu prayer circle that went on for a little TOO long.

Recently, someone posted a pot luck get together for "fellowship" and also, "Feel free to give testimony if you care to share."

This obsession on giving testimony with this group is turning into a complex I think with these people, and quite off-putting.

I live in a more backwater area, so this may have to do with it.

Ever experience such groups or people?

HereIStand

Site Supporter
Jul 6, 2006
✟317,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
That is indeed a problem. Some Christians place too much focus on a person having a crisis moment, perhaps on the level with Paul's Damascus road conversion experience. The conversion of Lydia in Acts 16 doesn't seem to have been overly emotional. Perhaps her experience is more typical.

Those not raised in a Christian home could experience such an emotional conversion. Those raised in a Christian home may not experience an emotional conversion. Part of it depends on individual personality.

• Agree
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
You know ... I took a few minutes to read both articles. There are some great discussions that can be had of this.

I just want to say that you've got some good points. Those great conversion (or returning) testimonies can be inspiring, but there are problems too. I especially appreciate the point that we can mislead others, and even ourselves, to think that our earlier faith wasn't real, or to make people believe that challenges are a reason to doubt their faith.

It certainly does seem unhealthy to focus on such testimonies in an ongoing way. I wonder what you think of sharing these articles, especially the second one, with the group leader and asking their opinion about your concerns?

• Agree
Reactions: RC1970
Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
FWIW ... I don't believe that my worship group gives ENOUGH opportunity for TESTIMONY.
Didn't know what category to put this in, but I may have mentioned in the past to have joined a recent Christian singles group, but they seem too fixated on giving testimony and I even feel pressured to give testimony when the leader is attempting to goad people to be a "sound board" to the Lord, and through Him, you speak your words/testimony.

I had read up on this, and interestingly enough, it seems they could be doing it wrong. That it's more a focus on self (narcissistic) than on other things. It's also to elicit an emotion or catharsis of sorts to prove a point.

This article explains just that.: Your Testimony Isn’t About You | Desiring God

"Your testimony isn't about you."

And then there's "What we are getting wrong about giving testimony"

These topics are very enlightening, as I think I posted in a previous post how during a casual birthday get together at someone's apartment that turned into a cult-like, impromptu prayer circle that went on for a little TOO long.

Recently, someone posted a pot luck get together for "fellowship" and also, "Feel free to give testimony if you care to share."

This obsession on giving testimony with this group is turning into a complex I think with these people, and quite off-putting.

I live in a more backwater area, so this may have to do with it.

Ever experience such groups or people?

I have had the experience of being pressured to share elements of my personal christian walk. My opinion is that one should feel free to share such things as one is led by God, ... but that we should be wary of pressure from other christians.

Not surprisingly, the group that I relunctantly shared with ... ultimately turned around and tried to use my testimony against me. Beware of such groups as these.

Ironically, the main christian group I currently meet with could use MORE testimony opportunities.

These opportunities can be used to encourage listeners as to what God can/will do for you.

There is, at least, one scriptural reference where Jesus counsels a follower to go and tell what He had done for him ... it's all about balance and God's leading ...

Mark 5

18 As Jesus was getting into the boat, the man who had been demon possessed begged to go with him. 19 But Jesus said, “No, go home to your family, and tell them everything the Lord has done for you and how merciful he has been.” 20 So the man started off to visit the Ten Towns (Decapolis) of that region and began to proclaim the great things Jesus had done for him; and everyone was amazed at what he told them.

Upvote 0