Tongues: Why doesn't Satan understand it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
It is true, and I have had other things happen with my spirit language. But because there is so much criticism, I hate to tell it.
It's crazy that when someone is living out the gospel in the way it was carried out in the NT, other Christians are the first to criticize.

It can be frightening for people to face the power of God... it can throw off the order and precautions we have set up in our lives.

I prayed for something yesterday, and the answer was perfectly orchestrated for all involved, but it really shook my plans. There are times we have to let go of what we thing should be done.

Acts 9:1
Meanwhile, Saul was still breathing out murderous threats against the Lord's disciples.

20Saul spent several days with the disciples in Damascus. At once he began to preach in the synagogues that Jesus is the Son of God. All those who heard him were astonished and asked, "Isn't he the man who raised havoc in Jerusalem among those who call on this name? And hasn't he come here to take them as prisoners to the chief priests?" Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Christ.

(Consolation for people criticizing the experiences ... Saul criticized too.)

Why be so dogmatic about the tongues
Sure, of course. It's just the topic of the thread. Certain fellowships teach a stronger dogma, which is not scriptural. I have met some CF members who were told they were not saved without tongues. That's a serious problem.

Public tongues with interpretation ranks along with words of wisdom, miraculous powers, prophecy, and healing. We don't all have words of wisdom. (-;

Personal tongues is for private prayer, and nobody else's business.

Paul's viewpoint on keeping it in balance-
1 Corinthians 14 - NIV - without Study Resources - Study Desk

Upvote 0

gilliger

Jan 26, 2010
✟15,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible doesn't have any contradictions and I'm not trying to show that there is one. I just think there is a great error in believing the tongues talked about in 1 Corinthians 14 are not actual, foreign languages spoken by men. The verse in 1 Cor 13 is badly taken out of context to prove ecstatic utterances is what he is talking about. I still don't understand how the tongues on Pentecost were real languages, but suddenly in Corinth they are babblings.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Speaking in tongues is the Holy Spirit speaking through you - the devil does not have the Holy Spirit, therefore cannot understand what the Holy Spirit is saying.

I have a friend that went to Peru - took a person to translate - he started the sermon and the translator sat down - my friend did not even know he was speaking the language of Peru - he ask the translator when the service was over why he did not translate - the translator said you were speaking perfect language of the people of Peru.

Speaking in tongues carries power - prayers spoken in the Spirit are very powerful.

Reactions: Forealzchola
Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Let me put it to you this way by telling you a story (true, btw). There was a monk (an Elder) who had spiritual children all over the world. People would seek him out for spiritual advice. At his monastery they would get pilgrims and tourists regularly. One day, a group came through who had a woman from France who was a long-time avowed atheist. She was only there as a tourist. As the group came by his cell he asked the others if he could speak with the lady alone. They translated for him and she agreed. He spoke to her for quite a long time, and when she emerged, she had tears in her eyes and she later became a Christian. When she told her story, everyone was amazed. Why on earth was she holding back on them as they had no idea she spoke Greek? This monk only knew Greek and it was well-known that he spoke no other languages. Then, the lady herself was amazed, because she told everyone that he had spoken to her in perfect French. The fact is, God uses the humble and gives them gifts so that they can minister to others. This is far removed from babbling incoherently in a dramatic manner so that everyone can see you and possibly think how spiritual you must be, and you getting to feel a transitory emotional high that you must continually attempt to reproduce at every service.

We are much better served by sticking to our prayer rule. Here is a prayer resource for you: Orthodox Prayer: Daily Prayer, Jesus Prayer, Lord's Prayer, Prayer Rule, Articles and Books, Prayers for All Occasions; Praying to Saints

If you are interested in the Orthodox Christian view of speaking in tongues, here are a few things for you to read:
Speaking In Tongues: An Orthodox Perspective — Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
OCA - Q & A - Speaking in Tongues / Miracles
Speaking in and Interpretation of Tongues
The Gifts of the Holy Spirit
The Glossolalia Movement of Today

Speaking in tongues is one of God's gifts that people reject because they do not understand. I have been a Christian all my life and did not understand the gift of tongues until about 15 years ago.

I started searching about the Holy Spirit and found a book "In the shadow of His hand" - about a preacher searching for the HOly Spirit - I just laid the book down and said "God if this is of you, I want it" - the Holy Spirit fell on my so strong with my beautiful prayer language and I worshiped for 3-1/2 hours in my prayer language.

It is very powerful - when I don't know how to pray, my spirit knows what to pray - just an example - my daughter was in the line of a tornado - she called me screaming - pray mom, pray - I started praying in the Spirit - the tornado split and did not touch her house - took out things on both side of it, but she was ok - I did not know what I was praying, but my Spirit knew. I could give you many examples such as this - my life has never been the same - it is a beautiful gift and so beautiful because you know it comes straight from Jesus.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
The Bible doesn't have any contradictions and I'm not trying to show that there is one. I just think there is a great error in believing the tongues talked about in 1 Corinthians 14 are not actual, foreign languages spoken by men. The verse in 1 Cor 13 is badly taken out of context to prove ecstatic utterances is what he is talking about. I still don't understand how the tongues on Pentecost were real languages, but suddenly in Corinth they are babblings.
Something to consider -- is there harm done, if people are praying in tongues in private and it is not completely scriptural? How different would it be to kneeling vs. walking, chanting or singing our prayers... it is just an expression of what is inside.

And language itself is just a convention. English is not more correct than French. Praying to God in Swahili will be understood by Him just as well as Urdu. So a doctrine doesn't need to be stated for speaking to God.

The bigger problem comes when we create doctrines about it, then when we just let God work and be grateful for distinct incidents.

Upvote 0

lordworshipper

Free minded rational believer
Sep 7, 2009
America
✟15,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For those against speaking in tongues, I hope you know that if you translate the word "language" to its origin word, it meant "tongue-age" roughly. So in a sense, not speaking in tongues is impossible. In the spiritual sense, you are talking in a way that only you and god understand, I don't understand what's wrong with that, and as others have said, why christians tend to be the first to judge other christians about it.

i don't speak in tongues, it isn't a part of how I pray, but so what if people choose to?

Reactions: heron
Upvote 0

gilliger

Jan 26, 2010
✟15,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Something to consider -- is there harm done, if people are praying in tongues in private and it is not completely scriptural? How different would it be to kneeling vs. walking, chanting or singing our prayers... it is just an expression of what is inside.

And language itself is just a convention. English is not more correct than French. Praying to God in Swahili will be understood by Him just as well as Urdu. So a doctrine doesn't need to be stated for speaking to God.

The bigger problem comes when we create doctrines about it, then when we just let God work and be grateful for distinct incidents.

I'll admit that something like that done in private is hard to pin down as being "wrong." However, where does the idea come from that there is a personal tongue or a prayer tongue that is to be used from Scripture?

and as others have said, why christians tend to be the first to judge other christians about it.

This is not a matter of my personal judgment, I'm trying to understand what God's word teaches on the subject. God is the judge and if we can discern what he wants, then we will know how to act.

Upvote 0

chilehed

Veteran
Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I understand that when a Christian speaks in tongues, they're speaking in a heavenly language that they themselves cannot understand....
That's an idea that many people have, but it's a minority view. Look in the book of Acts, and you'll see that it was actually the Apostles speaking and foreigners being able to understand them.

IMO most of what passes for speaking in tongues is actually hyped up babbling, it's meaningless nonsense that people have convinced themselves is a gift of God.

Upvote 0

gilliger

Jan 26, 2010
✟15,208.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's an idea that many people have, but it's a minority view. Look in the book of Acts, and you'll see that it was actually the Apostles speaking and foreigners being able to understand them.

IMO most of what passes for speaking in tongues is actually hyped up babbling, it's meaningless nonsense that people have convinced themselves is a gift of God.

exactly

Upvote 0

WarSpiritually

For love is strong as death-Son 8:6
Jan 19, 2010
✟7,614.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
[FONT=&quot]Gilliger,

[/FONT]Christians professing that they speak in tongues, when the tongue is not coming from the right Spirit, but miracles and signs follow them as they speak in that tongue, can be just as dangerous as a false prophet doing miraculous before the people.

When I was doing research work in various State Hospitals, and other mental facilities, I analyzed Christians in these institutions speaking in tongues under great psychotic episodes, in the same way I had heard Christian’s speaking in tongues in a church gathering.

It will be crucial therefore to discern the times we are in prophetically. Even as Jesus said, “When ye see a cloud rise out of the west, straightway ye say, There cometh a shower; and so it is. And when ye see the south wind blow, ye say, There will be heat; and it cometh to pass. Ye hypocrites, ye can discern the face of the sky and of the earth; but how is it that ye do not discern this time? Yea, and why even of yourselves judge ye not what is right?” Luke 12:54-57.

Apostle Paul wrote some extremely interesting prophecies about the latter days/the end times. And in one of those prophecies, it says this, “Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils; speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron. 1st Timothy 4:1-2. We are currently under that prophecy. And because of this prophetic mantle that has covered the world, and a majority of her Christians, we must, by the gift of God, which discerns spirits, identify where the spirit of that tongue is coming from. Is it being uttered by the Holy Spirit? Or is it coming from those seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils? This would explain, if only in part, why certain Christians when they hear other Christian’s speaking in tongues, get a bad discernment, and don’t believe that the tongue they are speaking in, is of the Holy Spirit. For it could be very well that the Holy Spirit is speaking to that Christian, saying, “This tongue, language, is not of me. This language, tongue, is of seducing spirits, and that of devils.” With that said, another prophecy was this, “Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.” 2nd Timothy 3:12-13. There are just some people that hear the language, and or tongue, of deception, and/or of devils, and of those seducing spirits, and know that it is not of the Lord. This gift of God is the mercy of the Lord forewarning them. [And that, knowing the time, that now it is high time to awake out of sleep: for now is our salvation nearer than when we believed. Romans 13:11.]

God said that his people are destroyed for lack of knowledge. Hosea 4:6. And yet another prophecy, which brings knowledge, is that there would be a time in which a falling away would need to take place before the coming of the Lord. 2nd Thessalonians Chapter 2. We are also prophetically under that falling away of God’s truth that saves us through Jesus Christ.

As these end time prophecies are before us, Christ says, “Take heed lest any man deceive you: for many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many.” Mark 13:5-6. When a person claims they are the Body of Christ, and that Christ is speaking through them, or that they come in the name of the Lord, they are inspiring to the above Scripture. And then we must also remember that Jesus Christ told us that there would be false prophets coming to us in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly were ravening wolves. Matthew 7:15-20.

But for those that are truly of Christ, saved, living in these end times of pure darkness, are comforted by these words of the Lord, “But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.” 1st Thessalonians 5:1-11.

I am about to give you some Scripture on the true doctrine on how one is to truly operate in the speaking of tongues when the church is gathered together (if indeed the church is speaking in a tongue that is coming from the truthful Spirit of God.) And those that speak in tongues, disorderly, not obeying what the apostle wrote, are to be brought under godly questioning and examination; because the apostle wrote those commandments of the Lord, by the Holy Spirit. The same Holy Spirit they supposedly say they are speaking in tongues by. And the holy apostle so commands, saying:

Follow after charity, and desire spiritual gifts, but rather that ye may prophesy. For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying. Now, brethren, if I come unto you speaking with tongues, what shall I profit you, except I shall speak to you either by revelation, or by knowledge, or by prophesying, or by doctrine? And even things without life giving sound, whether pipe or harp, except they give a distinction in the sounds, how shall it be known what is piped or harped? For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle? So likewise ye, except ye utter by the tongue words easy to be understood, how shall it be known what is spoken? for ye shall speak into the air. There are, it may be, so many kinds of voices in the world, and none of them is without signification. Therefore if I know not the meaning of the voice, I shall be unto him that speaketh a barbarian, and he that speaketh shall be a barbarian unto me. Even so ye, forasmuch as ye are zealous of spiritual gifts, seek that ye may excel to the edifying of the church.

Wherefore let him that speaketh in an unknown tongue pray that he may interpret. For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful. What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also. Else when thou shalt bless with the spirit, how shall he that occupieth the room of the unlearned say Amen at thy giving of thanks, seeing he understandeth not what thou sayest? For thou verily givest thanks well, but the other is not edified. I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all: Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue. Brethren, be not children in understanding: howbeit in malice be ye children, but in understanding be men. In the law it is written, WITH MEN OF OTHER TONGUES AND OTHER LIPS WILL I SPEAK UNTO THIS PEOPLE; AND YET FOR ALL THAT WILL THEY NOT HEAR ME, saith the Lord. Wherefore tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: but prophesying serveth not for them that believe not, but for them which believe. If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak with tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad? But if all prophesy, and there come in one that believeth not, or one unlearned, he is convinced of all, he is judged of all: And thus are the secrets of his heart made manifest; and so falling down on his face he will worship God, and report that God is in you of a truth.

How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying. If any man speak in an unknown tongue, let it be by two, or at the most by three, and that by course; and let one interpret. But if there be no interpreter, let him keep silence in the church; and let him speak to himself, and to God. Let the prophets speak two or three, and let the other judge. If any thing be revealed to another that sitteth by, let the first hold his peace. For ye may all prophesy one by one, that all may learn, and all may be comforted. And the spirits of the prophets are subject to the prophets. For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints. Let your women keep silence in the churches: for it is not permitted unto them to speak; but they are commanded to be under obedience, as also saith the law. And if they will learn any thing, let them ask their husbands at home: for it is a shame for women to speak in the church. What? came the word of God out from you? or came it unto you only? If any man think himself to be a prophet, or spiritual, let him acknowledge that the things that I write unto you are the commandments of the Lord. But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant. Wherefore, brethren, covet to prophesy, and forbid not to speak with tongues. Let all things be done decently and in order. 1st Corinthians 14:1-40.

-And he said, Hear thou therefore the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on his throne, and all the host of heaven standing by him on his right hand and on his left. And the LORD said, Who shall persuade Ahab, that he may go up and fall at Ramoth-gilead? And one said on this manner, and another said on that manner. And there came forth a spirit, and stood before the LORD, and said, I will persuade him. And the LORD said unto him, Wherewith? And he said, I will go forth, and I will be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets. And he said, Thou shalt persuade him, and prevail also: go forth, and do so. Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets, and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee. 1st Kings 22:19-23.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Forealzchola

Contributor
Sep 4, 2006
California
✟23,254.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
This is my view of it (but I don't know that it is right).

Each demon/angel is an individual. Lucifer is an individual.

Only God is omnipresent.

If you, as an individual, had heard and learned only the languages of the French, the Spanish, the Russians, and the Germans, then you would not know the language of the Chinese. You could learn it, but you wouldn't know it.

No demon can learn every language. Maybe some can learn nearly all. But I'd guess that they have to learn them too and be taught them. So if they haven't been taught, they're in the dark. (Is there a language school for demons? Nah, probably not.)

If it is the Holy Spirit that gives us utterance (and I believe this), then I would guess that the Holy Spirit helps us utter in a language that the demons that are present do not know.

It also may be a heavenly language, but if it was, I think they'd all know it having been in heaven first.

So I'm guessing that this must be the right answer. Of course, the Bible says there are things we don't need to know, so I guess that's one of them. Probably too much for our little minds. *G*

However all demons were present at the very creation of the world...it would make sense that they too know every language..they are not limited in understanding or knowledge like humans are. They are angelic...and do operate in some level of power that makes them a little above humans. Demons cant understand tongues because that is a language they will never be able to learn or understand because they arent believers and neither operate in or have the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

SharonL

Senior Veteran
Oct 15, 2005
Texas
Visit site
✟23,316.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One thing to keep in mind - not all tongues spoken are from God. The enemy also has tongues, but when you hear it, you know immediately that it is from the enemy - it is harsh, no compassion and lifeless.

If tongues are spoken to a crowd - there must be an interpretation or it is not of God. I don't know why tongues are rejected - it is such a beautiful experience to be in a service and have the very voice of Jesus come forth, with interprettion.

Upvote 0

heron

Legend
Mar 24, 2005
✟33,756.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
"how do you know satan doesnt understand tongues?" Since tongues are often the native language of the recipient, then sometimes they are just common languages. So your point -- yes, he would understand these. A lot of teaching gets built up from one experience to another, and suddenly becomes doctrine. It's good to keep digging in scriptures to keep focus and truth. Just because a trusted pastor said it, doesn't mean it's true. Teachers/preachers get careless, and make assumptions. We all do.

Upvote 0

Zeru

one day at a time.
Feb 3, 2010
✟15,252.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
I actually have a question about tongues. :3 If the languages one might speak during prayer are a Heavenly language of sorts, does that mean all people speak a common language in Heaven? That's such a beautiful idea to the language student in me. Is there any scripture about this?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bouke285

It's not a sin to be wrong, but be wrong humbly!
Jul 3, 2008
Minnesota
Visit site
✟7,993.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
No scripture talking about The Heavenly "Language" comes to mind, but we are going to be completely changed it's impossible to tell what it will be like, but believe me it will be far more amazing then what you are thinking now :D.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
I understand that when a Christian speaks in tongues, they're speaking in a heavenly language that they themselves cannot understand. I don't understand, however, the notion that Satan cannot understand tongues either. As Satan was previously the angel of light cast out of heaven, he had spent time in heaven - wouldn't he have then learned the heavenly language?

If tongues isn't something shared among angels and God, then I think that calling it the heavenly language is misleading and I have to wonder why it's called the heavenly language if it isn't understood by all who have been to heaven. I just doubt that an incorporeal entity has suffered retrograde amnesia and forgotten the language of the place where he previously resided.

I don't believe something just because I'm told that it's so, you see - I need to experience or study something to believe that it's true. I cannot speak in tongues [perhaps I can and I don't realise, though], and so I don't have an 'insiders' perspective on this. I don't believe that a being originally of heaven has forgotten the heavenly language, and I would like somebody to tell me how he has forgotten.

Again, if this is a case of a misleading title, then why call tongues the heavenly language? Surely it should be called God's language or the Spirit's language instead of the heavenly language if Satan himself, a former being of heaven, is somehow exempt of understanding?

I considered posting this in Ask a Chaplain, but then I thought that perhaps the freedom of debating with those of varied education regarding Christianity might make this more enlightening for me.

I naturally mean no disrespect and this is not an attempt to begin a theological debate, so moderators, please don't move or lock this - I'm trying to seek an answer as to why Satan doesn't understand tongues.

- - -

While I'm here, how does one know whether they can speak in tongues or not?

i've wondered the same thing. Thank you for starting this thread.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,343,306.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
"how do you know satan doesnt understand tongues?" Since tongues are often the native language of the recipient, then sometimes they are just common languages. So your point -- yes, he would understand these. A lot of teaching gets built up from one experience to another, and suddenly becomes doctrine. It's good to keep digging in scriptures to keep focus and truth. Just because a trusted pastor said it, doesn't mean it's true. Teachers/preachers get careless, and make assumptions. We all do.

indeed. amen.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

My Father is the Gardener
Nov 21, 2009
A stranger & a pilgrim sojourning near Cambridge
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Satan IMHO does not understand the private praying in tongues OR the ordinary prayers we pray in English. He is locked out,out of ear shot.
I have spoken to several Christians who some times fear to pray because they worry Satan will hear them and then get them. I always reassure them that The Holy Spirit stands over the child of God at all times to protect and guard them.
What they pray to God is Private between God and them only.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

My Father is the Gardener
Nov 21, 2009
A stranger & a pilgrim sojourning near Cambridge
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How do you know if you can speak in tongues ?

Its like changing from speaking English to French,you can stop and start at will from one language to another,you are always in control if you speak by The Holy spirit.

If you can speak in an unknown tongue you will be able to speak many different sounding words you have never learnt,it does not come by using your mind in learning to speak them.

Its a Gift which God can give as also the Gift of healing is given by God. The person is a vessel given over to Him to fill and do with them as He pleases.

No one can demand a gift,the gracious Giver decides who and what he will give and when. Our job is to wait on Him that we may be a blessing to Him and then to others.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.