Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So you really think that there have been no miracles since the apostles? What do you do when you hear of such things? Even the Catholic church verifies some within their circles. I suppose some could be false signs, but if they really point to Jesus and give God the glory, I don't see the devil as participating.

God still does miracles!

God still heals people. GOD does it but not at the command of men.

But the gift of healing by men died when the last apostle died.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That is one possible explanation. However, many mainline denominations have also changed worships styles, so one would have to look at that while controlling for the type of worship and I doubt there is data for that. You are right about the entertainment factor at some churches, both charismatic and more traditional. It turns me off but then I am older now. It does nothing for conviction by the Holy Spirit though that I can tell, but if it gets more bodies in the seat then I guess there is a chance.

YES sir and that is the bottom line. More butts in the seats means more dollars in the offering plate.

I would think that if more preachers were paid with fried chicken instead of dollars, we would see a lot more sincere preachers preaching the gospel because they loved Christ instead of making a dollar.

But that is just me and I am only an old fashioned country boy.

Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You put your finger right on the problem. Entertainment-oriented churches tend to be a mile wide but only an inch deep. It is not just Contemporary Worship (so-called) that can be faulted. The Roman Catholic Counter-Reformation strong oriented itself to the entertainment (mystery) value of the mass. Thus, seriously imperial churches such as St. Peter's Basilica in Rome were erected at enormous cost and now we are seeing many such buildings being abandoned as the Catholic Church faces the real crisis of a shortage of priests. After all, you can't entertain folks without the lead entertainer.

Thank you for the flowers.

Actually I am an old country boy from N.A. and I remember preachers who farmed the fields all week and then filled the church on Sunday because people came to hear the Word of God spoken clearly and plainly with power and conviction.

Today we see churches full of people but just as you stated, their understanding only lasts as long as the entertainment because the leader only knows the gospel of "Name it and claim it".

Upvote 0

Nova2216

If truth is discounted then lies become normal.
May 16, 2020
America
Visit site
✟40,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
So you really think that there have been no miracles since the apostles? What do you do when you hear of such things? Even the Catholic church verifies some within their circles. I suppose some could be false signs, but if they really point to Jesus and give God the glory, I don't see the devil as participating.

(1Cor.2:4)

1Co 2:4 And my speech and my preaching was not with enticing words of man's wisdom, but in demonstration of the Spirit and of power:

WHERE'S THE BEEF?

• Agree
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟370,487.00
Faith
Non-Denom
God still does miracles!

God still heals people. GOD does it but not at the command of men.

But the gift of healing by men died when the last apostle died.

Excellent! I can provide examples of God's miraculous healing of Chinese people in China I have personally known, not to mention myself. God performs His miracles in His way so that He receives all the glory. Hallelujah!

In fact, one of the leaders in my own church here was miraculously delivered from a fatal stroke - even though he himself has consistently taught and believes that God no longer performs miracles because we have the Bible instead.

• Winner
Reactions: Major1
Upvote 0

Major1

Sep 17, 2016
Deland, Florida
✟203,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Excellent! I can provide examples of God's miraculous healing of Chinese people in China I have personally known, not to mention myself. God performs His miracles in His way so that He receives all the glory. Hallelujah!

In fact, one of the leaders in my own church here was miraculously delivered from a fatal stroke - even though he himself has consistently taught and believes that God no longer performs miracles because we have the Bible instead.

I agree 100%.

The fact that GOD heals people was hijacked by unscrupulous people with only one thing on their mind..........MONEY!

People who love God but are in pain and sufferings and in many cases dyeing, will reach out in desperation to men who "Sound good" for relief.

2 Timothy 4:3-4.....
"For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; 4And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables".

There is no New Testament promise that all followers of Jesus would be granted any power to be able to heal anyone.

I know that there are many people who want to belive that the Bible says that there will
be physical healing done by "Faith Healers", but it is just not there in the Bible.

Reactions: Nova2216
Upvote 0