Today i lost my temper.

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Today I lost my temper with my wife. We were arguing about groceries because she didn't get all the groceries that we needed after my mother was kind enough to take us grocery shopping this morning. I took it as personal because my mom has been the family chauffeur ever since my wife broke our car in early spring.

Anyway during my rage I screamed expletives at her and had completely lost my top because I felt like she could walk all over me all she wants but she can't walk all over my mother. Anyway while I'm screaming at her I threw her tablet on the floor shattering it into a million pieces. Needless to say the tablet doesn't work anymore. So, we have to share my tablet until I can afford to buy her a new used one.

I cannot be more sorry and I feel as though I'm completely at fault even though it was her taking advantage of my mother and her calling me a insensitive child that sent me unto my rage.

Normally I just ignore my problems when I get angry and let my wife walk all over me because I do have a big problem with anger. I'm a man and men have difficulty controlling their temper which is why I usually just ignore my problems. But that didn't happen today and I just got more and more angry the more she seemed indifferent to our problem and the more she was walking all over my mom.

I've prayed to God countless times for my anger but I always get angry. It's even getting to the point where ignoring my problems isn't working either. Can people pray for me and guide me in the right direction? I know I'm supposed to control my anger but, how?

biblelesson

Jun 11, 2021
College Park
✟72,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Today I lost my temper with my wife. We were arguing about groceries because she didn't get all the groceries that we needed after my mother was kind enough to take us grocery shopping this morning. I took it as personal because my mom has been the family chauffeur ever since my wife broke our car in early spring.

Anyway during my rage I screamed expletives at her and had completely lost my top because I felt like she could walk all over me all she wants but she can't walk all over my mother. Anyway while I'm screaming at her I threw her tablet on the floor shattering it into a million pieces. Needless to say the tablet doesn't work anymore. So, we have to share my tablet until I can afford to buy her a new used one.

I cannot be more sorry and I feel as though I'm completely at fault even though it was her taking advantage of my mother and her calling me a insensitive child that sent me unto my rage.

Normally I just ignore my problems when I get angry and let my wife walk all over me because I do have a big problem with anger. I'm a man and men have difficulty controlling their temper which is why I usually just ignore my problems. But that didn't happen today and I just got more and more angry the more she seemed indifferent to our problem and the more she was walking all over my mom.

I've prayed to God countless times for my anger but I always get angry. It's even getting to the point where ignoring my problems isn't working either. Can people pray for me and guide me in the right direction? I know I'm supposed to control my anger but, how?
Don’t be too hard on yourself! Your wife just might be insensitive. But you can’t change her. You must turn her over to God and allow God to heal your anger!

When we want people to change their ways towards us, what we don’t understand is we ourselves are not showing a humble spirit that God wants us to have.

When your wife show a negative attitude, just stand back and watch her, don’t get angry. Ask God how to speak in a calm manner and to help you express what you feel without being upset.

Pray for her, 1) that God blesses her, and 2) thank Him for those things you want to see in her. Soon your anger will lift, and you will be able to show compassion for her! Do it this way, and let God heal your relationship.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Today I lost my temper with my wife. We were arguing about groceries because she didn't get all the groceries that we needed after my mother was kind enough to take us grocery shopping this morning
Why didn't she get more groceries?
I took it as personal because my mom has been the family chauffeur ever since my wife broke our car in early spring.
How did she break the car?
Anyway during my rage I screamed expletives at her and had completely lost my top because I felt like she could walk all over me all she wants but she can't walk all over my mother.
How was she walking all over your mother?
It sounds like you believe it's her fault because she took advantage of your mother and she called you a name.
I'm a man and men have difficulty controlling their temper which is why I usually just ignore my problems.
I've known a lot of men in my 71 years and not many of them have had trouble controlling their temper. It's never good to ignore your problems. Maybe you have a pastor or doctor you could talk to?

I hope you find the help you need to get through these problems. God bless you, your wife, and your mom.

Upvote 0

Aussie Pete

Site Supporter
Aug 14, 2019
Frankston
Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced

It would help if you knew the root of anger. It is pride. Can you see that? You took it personally. Your "rights" were violated, even if it the right for your wife not to mistreat your mother. It's also unforgiveness, which again is rooted in pride. God is calling your attention to the real problem so that He can set you free.

In order to be forgiven, you must confess. Your sin is already forgiven, but you have broken fellowship with God and your conscience is defiled. The blood of Jesus can cleanse and restore. You need to accept that pride is the very nature of man, along with rebellion. And there is nothing that you can do. However, God has already done the work for you. He included you in Christ's death on the cross. The proud you is dead and buried and God has raised you with Christ to be a new creation. Jesus is humble in the way that you cannot be. Humble is not weak, by the way. True humility accepts who we are in Christ and rejects the old that is of Adam. The humble can face a torrent of abuse and it will be like water off a duck's back.

Unforgiveness again is something beyond our natural ability to deal with. Minor things that do not bother us, OK. However, when we are reliving past offences and still get angry, we have a problem. We can't forgive, but we have Someone who can forgive on our behalf. If we are willing, we can ask Jesus to forgive someone on our behalf, as if He were us. This He will do gladly, because He knows how destructive unforgiveness is.

My ex wife disappeared with my two young children. I did not see them for 15 years. Even then it was a miracle, not her doing. When I met her again, it was as if the past had never happened. My feelings were entirely neutral. This can be your experience also. If necessary, you will forgive every day for the rest of your life. However, God will bless you and release you from the prison of unforgiveness. It's the only way to be victorious and joyful.

Upvote 0

Leaf473

Jul 17, 2020
Northeast
✟181,090.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

May the Lord be with you and your wife, and give you peace :heart:

• Agree
Reactions: RDKirk
Upvote 0

William J

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2021
Buffalo, NY
✟268,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Wesleyan
Marital Status
Single
I too struggle with controlling my anger. Once I lost my temper with a work supervisor and ended up getting fired. I pray that God would provide the resources that you need to keep your anger under control. I pray that you are able to communicate with your wife in a wise and loving way that doesn't let anger control you.

• Friendly
Reactions: David's Harp
Upvote 0

David's Harp

Dec 7, 2021
Scotland
✟46,483.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Brother, I felt the Lord calling me to answer something in the forums and yours was the first in the new posts section for me. I understand about anger outbursts and still occasionally suffer from this myself. I also know what it says in the Bible about them. But I know that our God is mighty to save, and if we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9).

My advice would be to not dwell on the feelings or the aftermath of what comes from this, but to trust in and focus on our Almighty God, and how you are being fashioned into the likeness of Jesus Christ who also suffered much more greatly.

I pray for you my brother. Not only you, but your Wife and your family too. I pray that any dark spirits are dissolved and that you all find peace through Jesus Christ. I have faith in you Shane, just as our Lord has, in that you will overcome.

In the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit I pray for your guidance, support and protection. Amen

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Why didn't she get more groceries?

How did she break the car?

How was she walking all over your mother?

It sounds like you believe it's her fault because she took advantage of your mother and she called you a name.

I've known a lot of men in my 71 years and not many of them have had trouble controlling their temper. It's never good to ignore your problems. Maybe you have a pastor or doctor you could talk to?

I hope you find the help you need to get through these problems. God bless you, your wife, and your mom.

She broke the muffler of the car by running over curbs multiple times. It needs to be welded back in place. Luckily the shop I'd going to look at the car on Tuesday and give my parents a quote. She didnt get all of the groceries because she plain flat out didnt want to. Thats why i got angry at her. She walks all over my mom and me because she disrespects both me and my mother all the time. My mom took her morning yesterday to drive us to get groceries and then she didnt get all of them after i told her 15 times to do so. Umm, I do have a Elder that I'm basically best friends with that i can talk to but he is in Geneva right now. I've emailed him a few times during his vacation but he hasn't been able to answer back yet. Once our car gets fixed I will probably talk to him in person about it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
High blood pressure, maybe? My anger has been out of control and i was wondering if perhaps that's what is wrong?

I take meds for blood pressure so it's mostly being controlled. I've been on blood pressure meds since I was about 15.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Mar 12, 2022
champaign
✟17,255.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
She broke the muffler of the car by running over curbs multiple times. It needs to be welded back in place. Luckily the shop I'd going to look at the car on Tuesday and give my parents a quote. She didnt get all of the groceries because she plain flat out didnt want to. Thats why i got angry at her. She walks all over my mom and me because she disrespects both me and my mother all the time. My mom took her morning yesterday to drive us to get groceries and then she didnt get all of them after i told her 15 times to do so. Umm, I do have a Elder that I'm basically best friends with that i can talk to but he is in Geneva right now. I've emailed him a few times during his vacation but he hasn't been able to answer back yet. Once our car gets fixed I will probably talk to him in person about it.
May the Lord enlighten your eyes of understanding and give you the knowledge of the weapons of our warfare. My testimony...the Lord showed me in the bible when Peter spoke against Jesus he rebuked him. The Lord showed me that when someone is doing or speaking something ungodly I can speak even a whisper "The Lord rebuke thee" and the unclean spirit has got to flee. He also has shown me as a whisper to say I command you in the name of Jesus to come out of her/him and never return and this has helped deliver many people and give me the victory that Christ has promised us and then there is no reason to get angry because we are not fighting flesh and blood. May God give you peace.

Upvote 0

CoreyD

Jul 11, 2023
Detroit
✟23,818.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Boy. That's some temper you have.
Please don't take offense. It's actually good for you to acknowledge that. It's the first step to winning the fight.
I think the best advice for you at this time is Psalms 1:1-3.
How often do you read and meditate on God's word? Do you have a routine of daily Bible reading, study, meditation and prayer? Is that something you and your wife do together?

If those are missing, it might well be the case, you won't succeed, unless you take those steps, and maintain them.
According to Galatians 5:22, 23, it is the fruit of the holy spirit, that produces in us those fine qualities of love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control.

To get holy spirit, we need to constantly feed on what the father has provided. We need to listen every single day, then apply what we hear. We need to be active in producing fine fruit.
It's one thing to tell God what we want - Jesus said ask for holy spirit, but we also need to listen to God, and act on what we hear.
We may know that certain things are wrong, but conquering them - getting results isn't going to happen without putting in those necessary 'ingredients'. Galatians 5:16, 17

I hope some of that helps.
Never keep trying though - even when you fail. Rooting out fleshly tendencies is not easy.

Upvote 0