✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
To those who believe the Bible threatens endless conscious torments (hell):

1) How do you know that anyone will suffer such a fate? Can you be hopeful of universalism, that is hope that all will be saved? Just as the Roman Catholic Church believes.

2) Assuming some do go into everlasting punishment, why then can't they also come out of everlasting punishment?

3) Assuming some do go into eternal torments, what's to say God won't change His mind, e.g. if they repent, and free them? Has God not changed His mind before in the Scriptures (e.g. see the account of Jonah), when people repent?

So what's stopping one who believes in the threat of endless conscious torments from being one who also hopes that Love Omnipotent may yet save all?

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Those who are condemned to hell are so because they have trampled on the blood of Jesus by refusing to believe. That is why they are punished so and will be for eternity. Because they profane the blood of the only begotten Son of God.

Hebrews 10:29-31

Last edited:
Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There is evidence that God’s mercy triumphs over His wrath. Looking at the prophets we see that God continually tells Israel in no uncertain terms He’s going to punish them severely. But time and time again, He relents. Time and time again he delays the punishment or scales back its severity or both. Was God lying when He said He’d do those terrible things? No. He meant every word. But His mercy compelled Him to stop short. So, even if the symbolic language John used to describe the fate of the wicked is actually literal, God’s mercy has been shown to be more powerful and compelling than His wrath. God’s anger endures for a moment but His love endures forever and His mercy is everlasting (Ps. 30:5, 100:5; 103:9; 106:1; 107:1; 118:29; 136:10-26; Micah 7:18; Ps. 100:5; 138:8; Isa. 54:8).

“LORD, I have heard the report about You and I fear. O LORD, revive Your work in the midst of the years, in the midst of the years make it known; in wrath remember mercy” (Hab. 3:2).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Those who are condemned to hell are so because they have trampled on the blood of Jesus by refusing to believe. That is why they are punished so and will be for eternity. Because they profane the blood of the only begotten Son of God.

Thomas had seen Jesus' miracles, was told by Him that He would rise, & told by other disciples that they had seen the risen Lord. Yet he refused to believe.

Peter denied the Lord 3 times.

David stole a man's wife & had him murdered.

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

What makes you think anyone has committed this sin, that their punishment will last "for eternity" or that God will not change His mind, e.g. if they repent? Or that the punishment cannot humble or purify them?

Reactions: Ygrene Imref
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
But why would God punish them eternally? Why doesn't he just kill them? I understand some Christians believe that hell is not eternal.

God is cruel and twisted if hell is eternal.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But why would God punish them eternally? Why doesn't he just kill them? I understand some Christians believe that hell is not eternal.

God is cruel and twisted if hell is eternal.
Heaven is eternal
Hell is eternal

Now IF you knew for sure you were going to heaven, you would have no problem with the word eternal.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Heaven is eternal
Hell is eternal

Now IF you knew for sure you were going to heaven, you would have no problem with the word eternal.
I suppose...but why God torture people in hell forever, that is not love. That is cruel and sad.

Why do they have to be both eternal?

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I suppose...but why God torture people in hell forever, that is not love. That is cruel and sad.

Why do they have to be both eternal?
Luca we all struggle, nobody is perfect. But He see's our heart and He knows our intentions. How can anyone pass up heaven for eternity, verses a few messed up wacky years on planet earth? Compared to eternity, this aint nothin :angel:

We have a choice. Bottom line.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ByTheSpirit

Come Lord Jesus
May 17, 2011
Manhattan, KS
✟189,251.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
What makes you think anyone has committed this sin, that their punishment will last "for eternity" or that God will not change His mind, e.g. if they repent? Or that the punishment cannot humble or purify them?

Hebrews 10:29-31

Upvote 0

A_Thinker

Site Supporter
Apr 23, 2004
Midwest
✟953,784.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Heaven is eternal
Hell is eternal

God's gift of LIFE is eternal
DEATH is eternal

For the wages of sin is DEATH, but the gift of God is ETERNAL LIFE through Christ Jesus. Romans 6:23

For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him shall not PERISH (DIE), but have ETERNAL LIFE. John 3:16

And this is the record, that God hath given us eternal LIFE. He who has the Son has LIFE, and he who has not the Son of God does not have LIFE. 1 John 5:11-12

Whosoever heareth my words, and believeth upon He Who hath sent Me, ... has EVERLASTING LIFE, and shall not come into condemnation, but is passed from DEATH unto LIFE. John 5:24

Last edited:
Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Luca we all struggle, nobody is perfect. But He see's our heart and He knows our intentions. How can anyone pass up heaven for eternity, verses a few messed up wacky years on planet earth? Compared to eternity, this aint nothin :angel:

We have a choice. Bottom line.
But why is hell eternal? Why can't God just kill us or something. Why would he let someone be in torture and pain for eternity, why can't he just kill them?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Site Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,485.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
So what's stopping one who believes in the threat of endless conscious torments from being one who also hopes that Love Omnipotent may yet save all?

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism
It's really not about what I believe, it is about what God says. I feel that I would be putting peoples soul's in jeparody by not telling them about hell.

The only way someone comes to Christ is when they know that they need Him and can do nothing to earn what Christ has given them.

Only one was perfect and it took God Himself to overcome sin and to justify us. But faith must come first and to have faith one must believe that a God exists and that we have a serious need for God.

So in a way, you are asking us to speak and live against God's Word. I can't do that.

Upvote 0

surrender1

Jun 1, 2011
✟20,372.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But why is hell eternal? Why can't God just kill us or something. Why would he let someone be in torture and pain for eternity, why can't he just kill them?
Torture comes from the mind of man; not from the mind of God. As far as God "just killing them", God is the author and giver of life, not death.

Upvote 0

-Luca

Apr 11, 2017
United Kingdom
✟29,361.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Torture comes from the mind of man; not from the mind of God. As far as God "just killing them", God is the author and giver of life, not death.
But if he created it than surely he can take it away? I just do not understand because if he loved someone then why would he punish them forever?

Upvote 0