To My fellow Catholics. We can learn alot from our separated protestant brethren

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Reactions: Soyeong

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
This article nails it! We can and need to take this former evangelical protestants advice. Kudos to him and kudos to our Non-Catholic Christian brethren for their timeless love for Christ and positive example for us.

Here is the good article. Catholics you need to read this and take heed!

http://www.thecordialcatholic.com/dear-catholics-unsolicited-advice-from-an-evangelical-convert/

Or not.

Always fun to read a convert to Catholicism say that the Church has the fullness of truth, 2000 years of history, Church of St Peter the Rock founded by Christ etc etc, but YOU ARE ALL DOING IT WRONG!!!!

: )

Thinking of the issues he raises, perhaps they stem from humility; Catholic saints are, after all, so very, very saintly. St Francis with his poverty, St Bernadette with her visions, St Padre Pio with the stigmata; these are too often portrayed as superhuman saints, they are not as we are. Such saintliness is so far above the average Catholic that it is hardly worth aspiring to be the same; so instead the good Catholic accepts that all they can do is what they have always done; go to Mass, go home and carry on. If it is not enough they can make confession and then carry on again.

As for the coats, I do that myself. If I happen to be sitting in church with my jacket off I will put it on at the Eucharistic prayer. Nothing to do with making a hasty exit; everything to do with encountering Christ properly dressed. Others can meet him in shirt sleeves and open toed sandals if they like; that is up to them. I will have my jacket on.

Last edited:
Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
This article nails it! We can and need to take this former evangelical protestants advice. Kudos to him and kudos to our Non-Catholic Christian brethren for their timeless love for Christ and positive example for us.

http://www.thecordialcatholic.com/dear-catholics-unsolicited-advice-from-an-evangelical-convert/

The term 'flogging a dead horse' comes to mind. It really doesn't matter whether the unregenerate reprobate is a Roman Catholic or a Protestant Catholic, as long as they remain an unregenerate reprobate then all the encouragement in the world won't make the slightest bit of difference. Only those (of whichever denomination) who are born again of the Spirit of God will worship God in spirit and in truth (not to mention Divine exuberance). Jn.4:24.

Simonline.

Upvote 0

th1bill

A Believer/Follower
Jul 5, 2003
Texas
Visit site
✟68,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Good morning all, new here.
I'm, sometimes, known as one of those "Kill the Catholics" Baptist, LOL. I'm not one to pretend those folks do not exist, they do, but most of us do not fill that slot, at all. Today I am bed ridden, at 70, from the one inescapable war wound from the Vietnam War, where I served three tours.

As a baptist teacher of the children, all the way through being a teacher of the Grumpy Old Men's class, I did my best to instill the knowledge that there will be saved men and women (Saints) in all churches, regardless of the first, last or middle names. The Mormons, JWs and others are another issue but I still hold to the biblical idea that once saved, always saved, meaning, if a person is truly saved, they might quench the Spirit, the third person of the Triune Godhead, and be seated in some non-Christian assembly.

Throughout my adult life, 1962 on, I have had Catholic, Mormon and Protestant friends, even when I was an irritating Atheist. Any Protestant's or Catholic's first name is Christian... if they actively seek to follow Jesus every day, all day long. I did not live that way when God called me in November of '66. Instead I lived like a [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse], singing both C&W and the Blues.

On my surrender, 1/1/'90, I accepted my call and have lived in full surrender since then. Some of my friends, Carpenters or Drivers, were Catholic and a few of them, 3 to be exact, lived with the same drive that pushes me. Pew Whales, I worry about, tremendously because they live for God part of one day a week and that is dangerous.

[footnote] Please do not pray for this Agent Orange induced MS, that it might not kill me. I want to go Home. I am, eternally, home sick for a Father and His Son that I have never seen. Too many people already pray for my voice to return and for me to be healthy enough to return to Service.

Upvote 0

Sean611

Feb 24, 2012
Missouri
✟20,396.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sadly, if you replaced every instance of "Catholic" in the article with "Anglican," the article would have been true about us as well. I guess I can only speak to the situation in the U.S. and not for very province in the Communion, that we too have problem with good teaching and catechism. We too have a problem with many treating the Eucharist with very little reverence or care. We too have a problem with seminary training and lousy preachers.

We have discussed these issues time and again on the Anglican forum. That said, for the U.S. Episcopal Church, we did just elect an unabashed and unafraid "Jesus follower," who is quite evangelical in preaching style and in his passion for Jesus. I'm hoping his enthusiasm catches on and the whole Episcopal Church has a Jesus revival.

Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,589.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Any Protestant's or Catholic's first name is Christian... if they actively seek to follow Jesus every day, all day long.......
On my surrender, 1/1/'90, I accepted my call and have lived in full surrender since then. Some of my friends, Carpenters or Drivers, were Catholic and a few of them, 3 to be exact, lived with the same drive that pushes me. Pew Whales, I worry about, tremendously because they live for God part of one day a week and that is dangerous....
I think surrender is the keyword here. W/o it there is either the less than committed pew sitter or those who are aiming to quit behaviors on their own powers. Surrender to His power in us!

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟567,763.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed

I have often wondered how much of this comes down to being cradle or convert. Converts have a certain zeal that cradles typically lack because converts went on a journey, and perhaps gave something up along the way. For the most part, being a cradle is easy.

Reactions: Athanasias
Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Or not.

Always fun to read a convert to Catholicism say that the Church has the fullness of truth, 2000 years of history, Church of St Peter the Rock founded by Christ etc etc, but YOU ARE ALL DOING IT WRONG!!!!

Thinking of the issues he raises, perhaps they stem from humility; Catholic saints are, after all, so very, very saintly. St Francis with his poverty, St Bernadette with her visions, St Padre Pio with the stigmata; these are too often portrayed as superhuman saints, they are not as we are. Such saintliness is so far above the average Catholic that it is hardly worth aspiring to be the same; so instead the good Catholic accepts that all they can do is what they have always done; go to Mass, go home and carry on. If it is not enough they can make confession and then carry on again.

As for the coats, I do that myself. If I happen to be sitting in church with my jacket off I will put it on at the Eucharistic prayer. Nothing to do with making a hasty exit; everything to do with encountering Christ properly dressed. Others can meet him in shirt sleeves and open toed sandals if they like; that is up to them. I will have my jacket on.
Fair enough. But do you think he had any good points too? I myself think he nails his # 1 Catholics, Figure Out What You Believe Already", #4Catholics, You’re in the Very Presence of God (Act Like It!). What do you think?

Reactions: Catherineanne
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have often wondered how much of this comes down to being cradle or convert. Converts have a certain zeal that cradles typically lack because converts went on a journey, and perhaps gave something up along the way. For the most part, being a cradle is easy.
some are obviously because they had to study their way into the Church. Others not so much. I know many life long Catholics(like myself and Pat Madrid) who have this zeal. It all depends on how you were raised and how well the catechesis and formation you received was for the most part.

Upvote 0

Athanasias

Jan 24, 2008
St. Louis
✟54,560.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The term 'flogging a dead horse' comes to mind. It really doesn't matter whether the unregenerate reprobate is a Roman Catholic or a Protestant Catholic, as long as they remain an unregenerate reprobate then all the encouragement in the world won't make the slightest bit of difference. Only those (of whichever denomination) who are born again of the Spirit of God will worship God in spirit and in truth (not to mention Divine exuberance). Jn.4:24.

Simonline.
But tell us how you really feel Simon...LOL. Seriously though every Christian I am aware of whether they are Catholic(Roman or Eastern) Orthodox(EO or OO) and Protestant(non-Catholic) are all born again and regenerated by the Holy Spirit at one time or another.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Fair enough. But do you think he had any good points too? I myself think he nails his # 1 Catholics, Figure Out What You Believe Already", #4Catholics, You’re in the Very Presence of God (Act Like It!). What do you think?

Yes, all his points were valid. I just wonder why on earth he is becoming a Catholic?

Upvote 0

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
But tell us how you really feel Simon...LOL. Seriously though every Christian I am aware of whether they are Catholic(Roman or Eastern) Orthodox(EO or OO) and Protestant(non-Catholic) are all born again and regenerated by the Holy Spirit at one time or another.

With respect, I object to your incorrect assertion that Protestants are not Catholic. We may not be Roman Catholic but we are definitely catholic in the true sense of the word (as the Apostles' creed declares). I absolutely refuse to concede to Rome the exclusive use of the word 'catholic' (since this would be to acquiesce with the Roman lie that only Roman Catholics are authentic Christians) and any self-respecting Protestant should do likewise. Furthermore, whilst it is true that all authentic believers are born again of the Spirit of God it is not true that this is also true of any and all who name the name of Christ (irrespective of their denominational allegiance)?!

Simonline

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Although they aren't unique, the points made by that author, a convert, are reasonable. If you're going to BE a Roman Catholic, what's the problem with behaving like the church IS indeed what it claims to be and you, the parishioner, say it is every time you're asked about it by a non-member??

The obvious answer would seem to be that the fear of Hell is what keeps many members performing their joyless duties of attending (most of the) Mass each Sunday, affirming doctrines about which the member has doubts, and going to Confession as infrequently as possible but at least occasionally.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Simonline

The Inquisitor
Aug 8, 2002
North West England
Visit site
✟13,927.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Although they aren't unique, the points made by that author, a convert, are reasonable. If you're going to BE a Roman Catholic, what's the problem with behaving like the church IS indeed what it claims to be and you, the parishioner, say it is every time you're asked about it by a non-member??

Because one would then be affirming something which is not true. Rome simply does not have a monopoly on authentic believers. Whilst there are authentic belivers maintaining the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace (Eph.4:3-6) accross the denominational divides it simply is not true that 'extra [Romana] ecclesiam nulla sallus' (outside of the [Roman] Church there is no salvation) though it IS absolutely true that outside of the authentic body of the Messiah/Christ (which by nature transends traditional denominational divides) there cannot be any salvation (Jn.3:31).

The obvious answer would seem to be that the fear of Hell is what keeps many members performing their joyless duties of attending (most of the) Mass each Sunday, affirming doctrines about which the member has doubts, and going to Confession as infrequently as possible but at least occasionally.

How sad. If one is not born again of the Spirit of God (i.e. spiritually regenerate) then one's entire life spent performing religious duty will avail one absolutely nothing in the age to come. Just as faith without works is anathema to God (Jas.2:14-26) so also is works without faith (Isa.64:6; Hab.2:4; Rom.1:16-17; Eph.2:8-10).

Simonline

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Some of these things I think are actually in part about personality. Some people are really just more mellow about their observance. This is not wholly a bad thing for a church though - some churches pretty much push out people like that, and I don't think that is a very positive thing. And some ages are mellow ages as well - we are in an age that has been reacting against a kind of shallow or sometimes hypocritical approach to strict observance.

Some of his points are true though and should be addressed in congregations - the tendency to leave right after receiving is almost exclusively Catholic for example, and shows a serious problem with people's understanding of liturgy and the Eucharist itself, and it comes out of a particular way of teaching about the Eucharist that has been embraced I think rather mistakenly in an effort to make it seem objective - it may also come out of a history where people were to some extent alienated through language from the work of the liturgy - moving to vernacular liturgy alone was not perhaps enough to change that cultural idea.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Because one would then be affirming something which is not true.

Well, that doesn't make any sense. We begin by noting that these people are active members of the RCC. To say, flatly, that they refuse to affirm the doctrines of the church because they know them to be false doesn't add up.

Upvote 0

Job8

Dec 1, 2014
✟21,583.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The "friendliness" and fellowship of evangelical churches is something from an American culture that values extraversion, it is not specifically Protestant.
It may not be "Protestant" but it is definitely scriptural. Read the apostle Paul's epistles and his warmth for his fellow-believers. Genuine fellowship of that caliber is generally missing in the churches today.

Upvote 0

Cappadocious

Sep 29, 2012
✟30,661.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
It may not be "Protestant" but it is definitely scriptural. Read the apostle Paul's epistles and his warmth for his fellow-believers.
Ah, but the warmth of St. Paul is hardly the same "warmth" with which Starbucks barristas greet you.

Upvote 0