• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Debate-For MJ's Only 'To Keep the Passover you must be circumcised'

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by Lulav, Mar 12, 2018.

1. pinacled

pinacled walking with the Shekinah

+507
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    No one is.
    Think about those two sons for a moment.
    There should be no malice or cruelty toward those who accept being circumcised.
    And have circumcised their son's now for thousands of yrs?

Only one entity would tempt man to number the circumcised and uncircumcised.

2. pinacled

+507
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    I was reminded of the woman at the table.
    Matt:15

And also that there is prohibition against an uncircumcised son from partaking of the feast on account of their parents lack of knowledge.
    Because it is written.
    "The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child."

3. pinacled

+507
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    Sorry had to edit with a quote.

4. danny ski

danny ski Newbie

+484
    Judaism
    Private
    The Jewish official position is that Moses was born circumcised.

5. Steve Petersen

Steve Petersen Senior Veteran

+3,212
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    This is halachah? Could you source this? I can see it being an opinion, but I have never seen that it has been ruled on.

6. danny ski

danny ski Newbie

+484
    Judaism
    Private
    Sotah 12a

7. Steve Petersen

+3,212
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    This is aggadah, not halachah. I don't see how you can say it is the 'official position' that Moses was born circumcised. The best you can say is that it is a tradition.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  8. danny ski

danny ski Newbie

+484
    Judaism
    Private
    You cannot codify a narrative, hence it must fall under the aggadic interpretation. Which, btw, does not make it any less valid.

9. Lulav

Lulav Everyone will give an account Staff Member Administrator CF Staff Trainer Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,268
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    What is the reasoning behind it, that he was born that way?

10. danny ski

danny ski Newbie

+484
    Judaism
    Private
    It's a sign of great potential or blessing- something to that effect. It sure confused the Sages if that individual should be circumcised anyway.

11. Lulav

Lulav Everyone will give an account Staff Member Administrator CF Staff Trainer Supporter CF Senior Ambassador

+6,268
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    Do you think that understanding came from the episode on the way back to Egypt where HaShem sought to kill him because his sons weren't?

12. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    Scripture states in Joshua 5:5 All the people that came out had been circumcised, but all the people born in the wilderness during the journey from Egypt had not.

So it is seemingly clear that the tradition of the sons of Israel was the continuation of the practice of circumcision. Moses was not placed in the reed basket until he was older than 3 months. Given what Joshua 5:5 tells us it is almost a certainty that Moche was circumcised. Further evidence supporting this is that Moche was born of the house of Levi and while they were not yet the priestly order, G-d most certainly would have ensured that Moche was circumcised on the 8th day according to HIS decree concerning circumcision.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Steve Petersen

+3,212
    Deist
    US-Libertarian
    I was questioning the assertion that Moses was born circumcised according to the halachah.

14. visionary

visionary Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I. Supporter

+6,190
    Messianic
    True, Moses' real mother had time to circumcise him before sending him adrift..

15. Dkh587

Dkh587 David דויד Supporter

+894
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    Exactly. There's no reason to think he was born circumcised. Sounds like a Jewish fable.

Being born to Levite parents, it only makes sense that he would be circumcised on the 8th day according to the commandment.

Besides, no human is born circumcised. Even the Messiah was circumcised on the 8th day.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  16. pinacled

+507
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Private
    i suppose he does have an interesting name

17. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    :D well, that is utter foolishness.

18. danny ski

danny ski Newbie

+484
    Judaism
    Private
    Actually, it does happen- being born without foreskin (which can be seen as being born circumcised). The Talmud specifically deals with those cases in Shabbat 135a- if I remember correctly.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. danny ski

danny ski Newbie

+484
    Judaism
    Private
    There at least a couple of different reasons for it, but I don't believe that the case of his son is one of them.

20. Dave-W

Dave-W Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner! Supporter

+15,522
    United States
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Others
    Moshe.

It is an Egyptian name meaning "drawn out of ..." Probably indicating his being drawn out of the Nile River.

the Pharaoh was called Ra Moshe (Rameses) meaning drawn out of the sun.