To Cease or to Continue, that is the Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I said that, and more, below

Simply put. THE BIBLE IS NOT A DICTIONARY. It does not contain definitions excepting for the origin of the noun "Christian". Acts 11:26 and when he had found him, he brought him to Antioch. For a whole year they met with the church and taught a great many people. And in Antioch the disciples were first called Christians. (ESV) That is merely an example, not a derail.

So you are simply arguing with yourself. You make a claim that I posted something I NEVER said, then you take me to task because I "supposedly did not provide proof from the Bible of something I never posted".

I am not calling you any name, but sort of games-playing reminds me of the Stooge film where Moe says to Larry before a coin toss, "Heads I win, tails you lose."

Faith comes by hearing and hearing the Word of God (i.e. the Bible) (Romans 10:17). Dictionaries can sometimes make you believe something that is not true because they are written by fallible men. Granted, most of the time, they are accurate, but they are not perfect like God's Holy Word. If you want to derive truth of the things of God, you are not going to find it in a religious dictionary, but you are going to find it in the Holy Bible with the leading of the Spirit.

Anyways, again, you have not brought forth any verse or set of verses that proves that the word “prophecy” can sometimes not mean the foretelling of future events by God's divine power. So again, you speak a lot of words, but there is no actual Scripture backing you up in what you are saying here. Therefore, you have no real authority to establish that the word “prophecy” can sometimes not mean the future foretelling of events. Now, I am open to be corrected if you can provide the verses; But we both know you cannot do that. For if you could, you would have done so by now (Important Note: If you did post the verses, and you think I missed them, then please repost them for me).

Granted, I say all this not to wound you, dear sir; But I say this in love and in truth with the hope that you may see where I am coming from.

Peace, love, and blessings from our Lord be unto you today.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

JohnT

Oct 27, 2007
Finger Lakes, NY
✟19,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Out of exasperation, not rudeness nor snarkiness I state these

Therefore, you have no real authority to establish that the word “prophecy” can sometimes not mean the future foretelling of events

Neither do you have any "authority" to make up untrue things about me, especially when I made clear comments contrary to what you falsely claim I said/posted. This post, as well as the previous demonstrate that there is ZERO truth in what you allege I said. Because I repeatedly was nice about my objections to your unfounded allegations, perhaps this will clarify things: STOP MAKING UP LIES ABOUT WHAT I POSTED.

Anyways, again, you have not brought forth any verse or set of verses that proves that the word “prophecy” can sometimes not mean the foretelling of future events by God's divine power. So again, you speak a lot of words, but there is no actual Scripture backing you up in what you are saying here.

What part of "I NEVER POSTED/SAID THAT do you fail to understand?

If you want to derive truth of the things of God, you are not going to find it in a religious dictionary,

There are many theological words which we use today, and are not "defined by any Scripture verse" They include "trinity" and "hypostatic union" etc. We are neither afraid nor inaccurate to use them as you seem to suggest.

You are falsely claiming that I somehow believe that the Bible defines words. That is false, and a misrepresentation of what I actually stated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,194,503.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

Neither do you have any "authority" to make up untrue things about me, especially when I made clear comments contrary to what you falsely claim I said/posted. This post, as well as the previous demonstrate that there is ZERO truth in what you allege I said. Because I repeatedly was nice about my objections to your unfounded allegations, perhaps this will clarify things: STOP MAKING UP LIES ABOUT WHAT I POSTED.

You are falsely claiming that I somehow believe that the Bible defines words. That is false, and a misrepresentation of what I actually stated.

I have no idea what you are talking about. I am looking for verses for you to prove your belief that the word “prophecy” can sometimes not mean a future telling of events by God's divine power. You appeared before to disagree on this point, or either that or I misunderstood you.

In post #424

You quoted my words that said:

“Oh, and I believe prophecy deals with foretelling future events.”
You replied, I quote:

“Your definition, while your own may be too narrow”
Then you quoted a religious dictionary that said this:

Definition of prophesy
transitive verb

1: to utter by or as if by divine inspiration

I asked for you to provide verses of your own and not from a religious dictionary in order to prove your case that my definition of the word “prophecy” is too narrow.

I looked again to see if you provided any verses and I did not see any. So I am asking you to provide verses to prove why my definition is too narrow. I asked you and I am not interested in what some religious dictionary says. As for your claim that I made up lies about what you posted: Again, I am not sure where you think I lied about anything that you said. It is possible I misunderstood you, but I did not lie about what you stated, dear sir.

In any event, may God's good ways be upon you today.

Upvote 0

Jesus is YHWH

my Lord and my God !
Site Supporter
Dec 15, 2011
✟389,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

John he is asking you to show from scripture a passage with the meaning of prophecy that is not the predicting of future events but has the following definition you provided below:

1: to utter by or as if by divine inspiration

can you provide an example ?

Upvote 0

ewq1938

I love you three.
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Site Supporter
Nov 5, 2011
✟916,702.00
Country
United States