bcbsr

Mar 17, 2003
Visit site
✟201,456.00
Faith
Christian
The Corrupt Obsess over Rituals and Regulations

Titus 1:15
To the pure, all things are pure, but to those who are corrupted and do not believe, nothing is pure. In fact, both their minds and consciences are corrupted.

Become so familiar with the truth, and look to yourselves, keeping yourselves pure from sin, that when corrupted teaching comes along, you will sense it. This may take the maturity that comes from experience. "Solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil." Heb 5:14

In particular by "pure" Paul was likely referring to the obsession the circumcision has over Jewish customs concerning purification, such as we see also Jesus speaking to in the gospels. In contrast to such regulations Paul says, "'Everything is permissible for me"' but not everything is beneficial. 'Everything is permissible for me'— but I will not be mastered by anything." 1Cor 6:12 And in Galatians, "It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Mark my words! I, Paul, tell you that if you let yourselves be circumcised, Christ will be of no value to you at all." Gal 5:1,2

In contrast these Jewish unbelievers are characteristically depraved in their thinking and in their conscience, such as attributing guilt to that which they should not, while not feeling guilty for that which they should. And because of their depraved mind you will find it difficult reasoning with these people.