NW England
✟1,054,708.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I agree with you. As a christians we should give because we want to. I think churches or pastors should never ask for money or even hint anything like that. To me it feels so so wrong.

Sorry, but that's not right.
If you are a member of a church, and the members meet weekly for worship, Bible studies, outreach etc, it is most likely that you will have a church building. Buildings need maintenance and repair, people need money for Bibles, new hymn books, outreach materials, staff salaries etc etc. Not only is it right to mention money, the church needs to have a proper set of accounts; correctly submitted and audited so that it can be accountable and not open to allegations of fraud or mismanagement. Church members need to know their church's financial position - do they need to curb their spending? How much money do they need to operate, and that sort of thing.
I don't know about where you are, but we have a Charities commission, and a church that failed to submit its accounts could be in trouble and might, for all I know, lose its charitable status. God does provide for those in need and for the needs of his children - but filling in a form and saying "God knows (literally) how much money we have and what we've spent it on" wouldn't wash with anybody.

Paul talked about money, said that a worker was worthy of his wages and that the apostles had the right to ask for support, 1 Corinthians 9:4-12. He said that they didn't insist on that right; in fact Paul worked to support himself. But they still had it.

Upvote 0

topher694

Go Turtle!
Jan 29, 2019
St. Cloud, MN
✟187,060.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Sorry, but that's not right.
If you are a member of a church, and the members meet weekly for worship, Bible studies, outreach etc, it is most likely that you will have a church building. Buildings need maintenance and repair, people need money for Bibles, new hymn books, outreach materials, staff salaries etc etc. Not only is it right to mention money, the church needs to have a proper set of accounts; correctly submitted and audited so that it can be accountable and not open to allegations of fraud or mismanagement. Church members need to know their church's financial position - do they need to curb their spending? How much money do they need to operate, and that sort of thing.
I don't know about where you are, but we have a Charities commission, and a church that failed to submit its accounts could be in trouble and might, for all I know, lose its charitable status. God does provide for those in need and for the needs of his children - but filling in a form and saying "God knows (literally) how much money we have and what we've spent it on" wouldn't wash with anybody.

Paul talked about money, said that a worker was worthy of his wages and that the apostles had the right to ask for support, 1 Corinthians 9:4-12. He said that they didn't insist on that right; in fact Paul worked to support himself. But they still had it.
Wow, what novel and crazy ideas! ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: Strong in Him
Upvote 0

Bobber

Feb 10, 2004
✟217,088.00
Faith
Non-Denom

So let's ask you this. Why didn't Paul insist upon it? And was he setting a good example for other ministries in so doing?

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
So let's ask you this. Why didn't Paul insist upon it? And was he setting a good example for other ministries in so doing?

Because tithing should never be coerced. And yes, he was setting a good example for other ministries in so doing. He was, after all, an apostle commissioned by Jesus personally.

• Agree
Reactions: Bobber
Upvote 0