NW England
✟1,054,363.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A question for the nontithers who go to a brick and mortar church with paid spiritual leaders: where does the money come from that supports your church? Pennies from Heaven? Tithing isn't a matter of legalism, it's simple economics.

Not everyone can afford to give 10% - some give more, some give less but give of their time, doing chores that might otherwise someone from outside might be paid to do, eg cleaning. To answer your question; in our case our Methodist church is part of a circuit. We share our minister with another Methodist church in the circuit - they pay most of his stipend, because they are the larger church and we only see him once a month. If there was a church that was doing really well, and a church that was struggling, the well off church would probably pay more than they needed to in order to support the struggling one. (In fact, this already happens.) We also have a circuit fund which can make grants to churches for property development.

We have only 40 members - 7 of whom are in homes or housebound, and most of the remainder are pensioners.
We do not insist that people give a set amount to the church; some are still generous and maybe even give more than 10%.

Upvote 0

theVirginian

Mar 5, 2007
✟15,879.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Not everyone can afford to give 10% - some give more, some give less but give of their time, doing chores that might otherwise someone from outside might be paid to do, eg cleaning.
This is a good way to handle it. I'm not a stickler for the 10% rule or limiting involvement to just money as long as the regulars get involved with the nuts and bolts of the church in some way.

Upvote 0

ArcticFox

To glorify God, and enjoy him forever.
Sep 27, 2006
Japan
Visit site
✟17,152.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Yes, you are right in that tithing 10% of our income was never and is not an official Biblical teaching.

So, what that means is that we are now free to give SO MUCH MORE than a mere 10% of our crops! Instead, we can give as much as we can to the cause of Christ and the furthering of the gospel! Be overjoyed that we are so free to give freely! AMEN.

Upvote 0

Flames

Jul 7, 2003
✟835.00
Faith
Christian
A question for the nontithers who go to a brick and mortar church with paid spiritual leaders: where does the money come from that supports your church? Pennies from Heaven? Tithing isn't a matter of legalism, it's simple economics.

Because nobody said that not tithing=not giving A couple months back for instance (around winter season) I gave about 6% to the church and spent about 8% buying coats and donating them to families that literally had no warm coats. I prayed that the warmth the coat provides would give the wearer an understanding of the love God has for them.

If you are a small congregation, you shouldn't pay the Pastor a full time salary. He should find a secondary means for income..whether that is other speaking arrangements, writing books, or working at a book store.

Some people are able to live off of 20% of their income and can give more, whereas others that may have made financial mistakes can't afford to give 10% without putting them and their family in rough times.

Upvote 0
B

Ben12

I was once part of a religious system who believed; if you cannot pay tithes for what ever reason; you’re a back slider, unspiritual and carnal; might be a little old lady who can‘t pay her rent on a fixed income. What a sad deal; it is time God’s people should help people; instead demand beyond tithes their needs.

There is a higher order then this; under not the law but grace; not under the old Levical order (OT) but the Melchisedec order. When ever there is a ministry out there that takes tithes I know they are trusting men for there livelihood and not God.

All the ministries I support will give you God’s Word; and never; I mean never ask or beg for money. They will send boxes of tapes; what ever you ask. As well as literature that will take you six month to a year to read if you read thirty pages a day; a never take a dime; yes they will receive; but not take. They have no Hugh denomination or system to support them; only their faith in God will provide every need; some do not even have local bodies; yet god will provide. These men and women of God serve thousands of God’s people; And God takes care of them beyond your imagination.

Hebrews 7:5And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:
6But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.
7And without all contradiction the less is blessed of the better.
8And here men that die receive tithes; but there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

I do; and have run across a ministry that sells God’s Word or take tithes; I just don’t support them. I do not believe in fleecing God’s flock.

Jesus turned over the money changers table in the temple; still thousands of ministries all they do is beg; and steal from God’s people or sell God‘s Word as merchandise.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Tithing is an act of faith for each believer, it says. "I have a High Priest who is living to intercede on my behalf". The undisputable text is...
Hbr 7:8And here men that die receive tithes; but there he [receiveth them], of whom it is witnessed that he liveth.

The blue letters in that text, is speaking about the Levite who dies recieves tithes as commanded under the Law.

The red letters above tells us that the everlasting priesthood recieveth tithes.

The hard fact to admit is, men will put their money where their faith trully is. Those who play church, do not give to God faithfully nor do they submit to His authority over them";) ... the less is blessed of the better"Hbr 7:7

The mystery of tithing begins in Genesis.Gen 14:18-20 We need to take notice that, God is the one setting up the office of High Priest not man. (big lie is; "it's an old tax system" but it predates Moses)
The three things in this prophetic lesson, we can take to the bank is;
A) Melchisedec is Priest of the Most High God.
B)Abraham gaves tithes to Melchisedec, and
C)Melchisedec blessed Abraham.
The rest of the Genesis lesson lead us to unanswered questions like,
Who on earth is this man? Where did he come from? Who is he related to? King of where? ect.

Where does tithing for Christains becomes an undisputable teaching?......Heb7,
Where God reveals to New Covenant believers that Christ has taken over Melchisedec's priesthood under the New Covenant.
The lesson teaches us a change of Law was necessary to establish Christ as High Priest since the Levitical preisthood on earth was in place under the Old Covenant.Hbr 7:12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

What do we know for sure about Melchisedec's Preisthood?.A) He is priest of the Most High God.
B)recieved tithing as proof He exist and C) The better blesses the lessor.

We should not be ignorant of how God provides for those who walk by faith, but that does not mean that God call us to exhaustively seek only after His provision as prosperity teaching focal points.

We live by faith to bring glory and honor to God, not to seek after securities, stocks and bonds.
Some were and are called to trials through adversity. Christians should glorify God in whatever situation, we're in.

Remember, to whom much is given, much is required.

GOD'S
BLESSING;)

P.S.
Hebrews 7 can open your eyes to Jesus High Priestly in ministry in your life. And Hebrew 8 will nail it down for you

Hbr 8:1Now of the things which we have spoken [this is] the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
Hbr 8:2A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
Hbr 8:3For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore [it is] of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.
Hbr 8:4For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

(Key revelation is, He is not taking over a earthly priesthood from Aaron but rather a heavenly preisthood from Melchisedec)

Hbr 8:5Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, [that] thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
Hbr 8:6But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
CRIB

Upvote 0
B

Ben12

Tithing is an act of faith for each believer, it says. "I have a High Priest who is living to intercede on my behalf". The undisputable text is...

The blue letters in that text, is speaking about the Levite who dies recieves tithes as commanded under the Law.

The red letters above tells us that the everlasting priesthood recieveth tithes.

The hard fact to admit is, men will put their money where their faith trully is. Those who play church, do not give to God faithfully nor do they submit to His authority over them";) ... the less is blessed of the better"Hbr 7:7

The mystery of tithing begins in Genesis.Gen 14:18-20 We need to take notice that, God is the one setting up the office of High Priest not man. (big lie is; "it's an old tax system" but it predates Moses)
The three things in this prophetic lesson, we can take to the bank is;
A) Melchisedec is Priest of the Most High God.
B)Abraham gaves tithes to Melchisedec, and
C)Melchisedec blessed Abraham.
The rest of the Genesis lesson lead us to unanswered questions like,
Who on earth is this man? Where did he come from? Who is he related to? King of where? ect.

Where does tithing for Christains becomes an undisputable teaching?......Heb7,
Where God reveals to New Covenant believers that Christ has taken over Melchisedec's priesthood under the New Covenant.
The lesson teaches us a change of Law was necessary to establish Christ as High Priest since the Levitical preisthood on earth was in place under the Old Covenant.Hbr 7:12For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

What do we know for sure about Melchisedec's Preisthood?.A) He is priest of the Most High God.
B)recieved tithing as proof He exist and C) The better blesses the lessor.

We should not be ignorant of how God provides for those who walk by faith, but that does not mean that God call us to exhaustively seek only after His provision as prosperity teaching focal points.

We live by faith to bring glory and honor to God, not to seek after securities, stocks and bonds.
Some were and are called to trials through adversity. Christians should glorify God in whatever situation, we're in.

Remember, to whom much is given, much is required.

GOD'S
BLESSING;)

P.S.
Hebrews 7 can open your eyes to Jesus High Priestly in ministry in your life. And Hebrew 8 will nail it down for you

Hbr 8:1Now of the things which we have spoken [this is] the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
Hbr 8:2A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
Hbr 8:3For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore [it is] of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.
Hbr 8:4For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:

Hbr 8:5Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, [that] thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
Hbr 8:6But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
CRIB

That which is heavenly is spiritual; that does not mean way out in outer space or where ever some may imagine heaven might be. Today we have far more churchy believers the then spiritual believers. The Priesthood of Aaron was a natural priesthood; the order of Melchisedec is a spiritual; tithing like all things of God should be the leading of God’s Spirit not the law.

Today there is so much abuse in religious finances; it is so contrary to even basic principles of what Christ taught to where it could only be described as fleecing God’s sheep to build their religious kingdoms; not giving from your heart.

What is the Lord’s Tabernacle; it sure is not this conglomerate of man made religion and systems; Acts 15:14 would be a much better example.

Acts 15:16 After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up: 17 That the residue (remainder) of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.

Then there would be no need to follow the letter that killeth.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
Sorry but the above post (Don't get it Twisted) is a perfect example of the "twisting" of the Scriptures to fit a man-made false doctrine. And it is FAR from indisputable that the letter called Hebrews teaches a tithing law for the New Covenant called-out ones. In fact, it teaches quite the opposite.

The church "tithe" commandment is one of the biggest hoaxes and false doctrines of all time. God is delivering many from it in these days along with many other false church doctrines.

Upvote 0

Barrenlimb

Dec 22, 2003
✟15,419.00
Faith
Christian
Sorry but the above post (Don't get it Twisted) is a perfect example of the "twisting" of the Scriptures to fit a man-made false doctrine. And it is FAR from indisputable that the letter called Hebrews teaches a tithing law for the New Covenant called-out ones. In fact, it teaches quite the opposite.

The church "tithe" commandment is one of the biggest hoaxes and false doctrines of all time. God is delivering many from it in these days along with many other false church doctrines.

I just hope not too many fall from the faith when they find out that men/churches/pastors have been lining their pockets by preaching the false doctrine of tithe. It stinks when you get a foundational thing that you thought was truth pulled out from under you. It makes you wonder what else pastors have been lying about.

Upvote 0

Eleknar

May 10, 2007
South Bend, IN
✟15,517.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The question is, wether the Bible says to Tithe or not, why not do it? It amazes me how so many Christians will spend hundreds of dollars a month on worthless physical possessions but they just can't bare, or "afford", to give part of their income to God. Why not? Some say that they can't afford to do it. Sure you can afford it. Do you not believe that God will provide your every need? Everyone can afford to give 10% of their income. I did it when I was living below the U.S. poverty line and I'm still just barely above that yet I manage to cheerfully give to the Lord in this way. If this 21 year old, married Soldier can do it anyone can. It's sad to see so many Christians trying to justify why it's ok not to tithe and so few Christians giving reason why we should tithe. All that we have belongs to the Lord. I'll be praying for God to open the eyes and the hearts of all those who just can't figure out how this is something that we, as Christians, should do and should want to do because of who we are and Who we live for. God bless.

Reactions: TankGirl
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Barrenlimb

Dec 22, 2003
✟15,419.00
Faith
Christian
The question is, wether the Bible says to Tithe or not, why not do it? It amazes me how so many Christians will spend hundreds of dollars a month on worthless physical possessions but they just can't bare, or "afford", to give part of their income to God. Why not? Some say that they can't afford to do it. Sure you can afford it. Do you not believe that God will provide your every need? Everyone can afford to give 10% of their income. I did it when I was living below the U.S. poverty line and I'm still just barely above that yet I manage to cheerfully give to the Lord in this way. If this 21 year old, married Soldier can do it anyone can. It's sad to see so many Christians trying to justify why it's ok not to tithe and so few Christians giving reason why we should tithe. All that we have belongs to the Lord. I'll be praying for God to open the eyes and the hearts of all those who just can't figure out how this is something that we, as Christians, should do and should want to do because of who we are and Who we live for. God bless.

Why not handle snakes?
Why not jump from tall buildings?
Why not create lions pits in the middle of sanctuaries?

Why not? because its not necessary. Same with a 10% doctrine. It now makes the christian get in a relationship with Christ and follow hard after the holy spirit on how much to give, where to give, ect... Its not about not giving, its about finding the freedom to give through grace and not through bondage. Some people need to stop throwing money at everything, instead rather, donate their time, which would be abigger sacrifice than their money...It's about a heart condition, not an amount.

Upvote 0

Cribstyl

Veteran
Jun 13, 2006
✟99,143.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat

Hmmm, Did I say tithing is a law, or commandment or a doctrine? Who is twisting who's words. :doh:

Here a principle to consider..(dont read too deep or twist my words)

A son came back to his father's house for a visit, He had a wife a three kids with him..
A. He looked to be a helper in dad vineyard.
B He look to take all that was available to him.

Which quality of those two would make the son feel welcomed forever in His father house, and which quality would make dad wonder when he's leaving? :D

The problem is not the father's supply but rather the principles that governs the life of a son who believes that he should inherit all what the father has.
We should seek to be sons of God.

Those who tithe to the Lord are a blessed people whether you agree or not. God will deal with the theives. Besides He is the living God and able to see the into the hearts of men.

So, be a good son and stop all that noise.

CRIB

Upvote 0
B

Ben12

Because the money is not going to God; it is going to religion. There are two Churches in the Bible; the false church Baby lon; and the true Church.

Upvote 0
W

WashedClean

Why not handle snakes?
Why not jump from tall buildings?
Why not create lions pits in the middle of sanctuaries?

Why not? because its not necessary. Same with a 10% doctrine. It now makes the christian get in a relationship with Christ and follow hard after the holy spirit on how much to give, where to give, ect... Its not about not giving, its about finding the freedom to give through grace and not through bondage. Some people need to stop throwing money at everything, instead rather, donate their time, which would be abigger sacrifice than their money...It's about a heart condition, not an amount.

I totally agree! Great post!

I just wanted to add that I do think tithing (10%) is a good start/guideline. Remember in the NT it says "God loves a cheerful giver". If you can't give cheerfully, then you have a heart issue.

I've also heard it said (by Joyce Meyer I think) that tithing was under the law... how much more should we be doing by grace? As others have stated, all we have belongs to the Lord. We should all be prayerfully considering what he would have us do with our money. But there is definitely a bondage that can go along with tithing when we make it a law and not a guideline.

Upvote 0

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
The amazing thing to me is that so many have actually swallowed the lie that "The Bible" teaches that believers in the Messiah should give 10 % of their money to "churches". (and a hundred equally ridiculous lies) That has got to be one of the greatest instances of MIND CONTROL ever perpetrated. Just goes to show you: If you authoritatively repeat something enough and cloak the words in religious garb, the gullible will eventually reject the plain truth for what should be an easily discernible lie. The false teachers have done a marvelous job over the last few thousand years replacing the Truth with the Lie, masquerading as ministers of Christ and of righteousness.....replacing the New Covenant with a Phony Form....a worthless, hybrid mutant....a rebadged old covenant bag of death.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

StevenL

Veteran
Sep 10, 2004
Louisiana, USA
✟10,024.00
Faith
Christian
So they circumsised under the law...under grace we should just cut it all off?

They had to wear blue tassels on their clothes under the law...under grace we should all wear blue pants?

Absurd.

The Levitical tithe has NO relationship to the New Covenant priest (any believer) except to teach the lessons of SIN....of the failure of the flesh...of the inferiority of the "shadow" as compared to "the substance or reality". The Levitical tithe cannot be practiced any more. It is impossible. The "church tithe" of course can be practiced but it is a completely different and unscriptural concept. Totally man-made. Invented by a false priesthood to finance a false temple.

Upvote 0

Barrenlimb

Dec 22, 2003
✟15,419.00
Faith
Christian
For those interested, go look up a sermon by Martin Luther called "How Christians Should Regard Moses" from August 27, 1525. Here is an exert from a small portion of it. Very nice read to read through it all.

I would even be glad if [today's] lords ruled according to the example of Moses. If I were emperor, I would take from Moses a model for [my] statutes; not that Moses should be binding on me, but that I should be free to follow him in ruling as he ruled. For example, TITHING is a very fine rule, because with the giving of the tenth all other taxes would be eliminated. For the ordinary man it would also be easier to give a tenth than to pay rents and fees. Suppose I had ten cows; I would then give one. If I had only five, I would give nothing. If my fields were yielding only a little, I would give proportionately little; if much, I would give much. All of this would be in God's providence. But as things are now, I must pay the Gentile tax even if the hail should ruin my entire crop. If I owe a hundred gulden in taxes, I must pay it even though there may be nothing growing in the field. This is also the way the pope decrees and governs. But it would be better if things were so arranged that when I raise much, I give much; and when little, I give little
. "

And another from same sermon

But the other commandments of Moses, which are not [implanted in all men] by nature, the Gentiles do not hold. Nor do these pertain to the Gentiles, such as the TITHE and others equally fine which I wish we had too. Now this is the first thing that I ought to see in Moses, namely, the commandments to which I am not bound except insofar as they are [implanted in everyone] by nature [and written in everyone's heart].

Calvin confirmed much of the same thoughts as Luther in regards to Moses. It is amazing that somehow, tithe as it is still crept into the church post reformation.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.