Not open for further replies.

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
One of our members came from an evangelical church - I think they class themselves as independent - and the first thing she said to me was "how much money do I have to give?" When I told her that giving was between her and God and we did not expect a set amount, she was very relieved. She is severely disabled and on benefits, but her last church expected a certain amount, and someone actually used to go through her finances to see what she could afford. :eek: :sigh: :mad: How Christian! How wonderful to give the impression that they were more concerned about her money than about her.

Yep , no legalism there ( spot for "rolling eyes" smiley ) .

And , a lot of the "tithers" complain that it is the people that are more interested in the money than the things of the Lord .

If it isn't legalism , why do they change the whole meaning behind the biblical commands that use it ? Why do they consistantly use the word "tithing" instead of "giving" - if legalism isn't behind it ? Why do so many demand that money be given to the organization and not to others as one sees a need ?

In fact , why do they even call it "giving" if it is something required to do ? That isn't "giving" as a gift it is "paying" as what is due . They are club dues .

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
As to the OP, I am not under the "Jewish law" as you put it. Tithing is never mentioned in the NT as it relates to the Church, however, the prinicple of giving from your heart certainly is, as we see local churches in the NT giving so that they could help those in need (widows, Paul when he was in prison, etc).

While I see no reason to get hung up on a 10% issue, I do find (from personal experience) the more giving I am the more I am blessed. I give very little to my local fellowship. Most of my giving is done after some time in prayer to specific people in need and specific mission endeavors.

Upvote 0

New_Wineskin

Contributor
Jun 26, 2004
Elizabethtown , PA , usa
✟13,854.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I'm beginning to see how the tithing principal is nothing more than a legalistic burden and a way to make people feel guilty and oppressed. Jesus actually died to set us free from that!

Exactly !!

That's unbelievable. What were they thinking? Did they think people would say "gee, you're right, let me catch up on that!"

Well , whatever they each decided , they knew that "big brother" was watching . They also had something to remember the next time a survey was handed out .

From what I have seen , people that have been a part of groups that would use their "authority" in this manner have already been successfully calloused to beatings . Many of them may have simply done what they were told and said nothing . Those that took their last straw left with the story .

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.