• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.

Tithing/Speaking in Tongues

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by greekgal, Jun 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnuP

SnuP A son of the Most High

+9
    Non-Denom
    But are we allowed to pray in public?  Is a nonenglish speaking person the only one who is not allowed to pray in an American church?  Are we allowed to pray in public how ever we see fit?

Or must we follow what you have discerned out of scripture?

2. LouisBooth

LouisBooth Well-Known Member

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "But are we allowed to pray in public? "

yes because people can understand you at that time. As for your second question, I'd say that doesn't fall under tongues does it? I would also say how does it benefit the church, they dont' understand anything of it do they?

3. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    So are you changing your answer? In the context of the question, it is tongues according to the beliefs that you have previously expressed.

secondly it doesn't matter if it bennifits the church, because no personal prayer is ever prayed to bennifit the church.  You your self said that prayer is private.

Why don't you show me some scripture that shows the link between prayer and whether it should bennifit the church.

4. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "So are you changing your answer? "

Nope, I haven't. would you let someone get up in front of your chuch and babble something that you couldn't understand at all? If so, can I come to your church and try it out ;)

"secondly it doesn't matter if it bennifits the church"

ahh..yes it does in terms of tongues anyway. this is what Paul addresses.

"You your self said that prayer is private."

In tongues yes, it is.

"Why don't you show me some scripture that shows the link between prayer and whether it should bennifit the church."

Prayer in tongues..same passage as we have been reading.

5. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    I've not been talking about people getting up in front of the congregation and praying. 

Only talking about people praying by themselves only for God to hear in their pew.  just like the scripture says, keeping quiet and talking to themselves and God.  Tell me why these people cannot pray in tongues, since they have no disire for anyone else to hear.

6. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Only talking about people praying by themselves only for God to hear in their pew. "

People hear them :) That's the point. if you pray without noise, you're not speaking, thus you can't speak in tongues.

The scripture doesn't say being quite, they are talking about loud and people hear them, as evidenced in the passage.

7. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    As for not being able to do what you want to before the Lord because there are people there...I'd like to be naked and comfortable and pray while jaming to music but can't do that in church either.

8. Andrew

Andrew Well-Known Member

+21
    Non-Denom
    Snup

why bother explaining anymore? just go on praying in tongues in church audibly. afterall, he doesnt attend your church and is never gonna admit he's wrong. :(

9. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    Point well taken, Andrew.  I'm going to send you a PM.

10. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    True, you have your opinions and I have mine, I guess we will have to agree to disagree. :) I say its not blbical and you say it is.

11. Elnaam

Elnaam Member

+0
    Louis, during prayer meetings people pray in tongues, and as you know praying is Godward not towards a man. Therefore it is not considered as bringing a message in a public church service and is acceptable.

12. CJF

CJF ...love alters not...

+168
    Pentecostal
    Single
    US-Republican
    hey aggie! Read 1 Corinthian 12. That whole chapter talks about the Spiritual gifts ANYONE can have, if God wills it. He gives the gift of tounges to some, and the gift of prohecy to others, and the gift of healing to yet another person. Healing, Miracles, Tounges, Prophecy, Evangelism thease are all gifts that God gives us.

As for tithing, I do beleive in Tithing. I tithe, when I have the money. Right now, I'm broke, but I do tithe. God say's we need to tithe, and so we should.

13. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Louis, during prayer meetings people pray in tongues, and as you know praying is Godward not towards a man. "

then it should be done in private if you pray in tongues for people can't understand you.

14. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    when I pray, I don't pray for other peoples benifit, know matter what language I pray in.  I don't care if they understand me.  I don't want them to know what I'm talking about.  It's between me and God. It's none of their business.  The same is true when I pray in tongues.

15. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "I don't pray for other peoples benifit, know matter what language I pray in. "

I'm glad, then 1. it shouldn't be out loud, and 2. not done in public :)

16. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    Louis finally said it, "no praying in public"

17. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "Louis finally said it, "no praying in public""

Nope, didn't say that at all. If you're praying in tougues nope you shouldn't in public. Please don't put words in my mouth in your rush to rationalize your position.

18. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    This implyes that you are refering to any prayer no matter the language.

19. LouisBooth

+59
    Christian
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    "This implyes that you are refering to any prayer no matter the language."

Okay, then you misinterpreted the context. if something is between just you and God it should be done in private. Specifically in tongues since they cannot understand you it should be. They can understand you if you pray in the language they know, so that edifies the church. that's exactly what the passage in cor. is saying.

20. SnuP

+9
    Non-Denom
    So why can't I pray personal prayers in public?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.