✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"But are we allowed to pray in public? "

yes because people can understand you at that time. As for your second question, I'd say that doesn't fall under tongues does it? I would also say how does it benefit the church, they dont' understand anything of it do they?

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Originally posted by LouisBooth
"Would it be o.k. by you Louis, if a non-english speaking person prays to themselves in their native tongue in an english service? "

Out loud? I'd probably so no because no one can understand him and it doesn't edify the church, thus it shouldn't be done.

As for tongues I have given you what is straight from scripture, if you don't want to accept that, don't blame me. :)

So are you changing your answer? In the context of the question, it is tongues according to the beliefs that you have previously expressed.

secondly it doesn't matter if it bennifits the church, because no personal prayer is ever prayed to bennifit the church.  You your self said that prayer is private.

Why don't you show me some scripture that shows the link between prayer and whether it should bennifit the church.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"So are you changing your answer? "

Nope, I haven't. would you let someone get up in front of your chuch and babble something that you couldn't understand at all? If so, can I come to your church and try it out ;)

"secondly it doesn't matter if it bennifits the church"

ahh..yes it does in terms of tongues anyway. this is what Paul addresses.

"You your self said that prayer is private."

In tongues yes, it is.

"Why don't you show me some scripture that shows the link between prayer and whether it should bennifit the church."

Prayer in tongues..same passage as we have been reading.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
I've not been talking about people getting up in front of the congregation and praying. 

Only talking about people praying by themselves only for God to hear in their pew.  just like the scripture says, keeping quiet and talking to themselves and God.  Tell me why these people cannot pray in tongues, since they have no disire for anyone else to hear.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"Only talking about people praying by themselves only for God to hear in their pew. "

People hear them :) That's the point. if you pray without noise, you're not speaking, thus you can't speak in tongues.

The scripture doesn't say being quite, they are talking about loud and people hear them, as evidenced in the passage.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Elnaam

May 26, 2002
Visit site
✟794.00
"But are we allowed to pray in public? "

yes because people can understand you at that time. As for your second question, I'd say that doesn't fall under tongues does it? I would also say how does it benefit the church, they dont' understand anything of it do they?
Louis, during prayer meetings people pray in tongues, and as you know praying is Godward not towards a man. Therefore it is not considered as bringing a message in a public church service and is acceptable.

Upvote 0

CJF

...love alters not...
Feb 26, 2002
United States of America
Visit site
✟15,250.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
hey aggie! Read 1 Corinthian 12. That whole chapter talks about the Spiritual gifts ANYONE can have, if God wills it. He gives the gift of tounges to some, and the gift of prohecy to others, and the gift of healing to yet another person. Healing, Miracles, Tounges, Prophecy, Evangelism thease are all gifts that God gives us.

As for tithing, I do beleive in Tithing. I tithe, when I have the money. Right now, I'm broke, but I do tithe. God say's we need to tithe, and so we should.

Upvote 0

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
when I pray, I don't pray for other peoples benifit, know matter what language I pray in.  I don't care if they understand me.  I don't want them to know what I'm talking about.  It's between me and God. It's none of their business.  The same is true when I pray in tongues.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

SnuP

A son of the Most High
Jul 22, 2002
Florida
Visit site
✟9,400.00
Faith
Non-Denom
"I don't pray for other peoples benifit, know matter what language I pray in. "

I'm glad, then 1. it shouldn't be out loud, and 2. not done in public :)

This implyes that you are refering to any prayer no matter the language.

Upvote 0

LouisBooth

Feb 6, 2002
✟19,588.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
"This implyes that you are refering to any prayer no matter the language."

Okay, then you misinterpreted the context. if something is between just you and God it should be done in private. Specifically in tongues since they cannot understand you it should be. They can understand you if you pray in the language they know, so that edifies the church. that's exactly what the passage in cor. is saying.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.