Central calif
✟2,867.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hey all question. I built a house some 35 years ago and the cost including the land was around $130,000. Over the years I put around $20,000 in improvements. I sold the house for around $320,000 and my wife feels we should pay a tithe on the sale. What are your thoughts?

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I think that if you and your wife do not brainstorm together to find a solution you are mutually enthusiastic about, the losing party will be resentful and it will hurt your marriage.

Here's an interesting link on brainstorming solutions together:
The Policy of Joint Agreement

Things you might brainstorm about could be:
-indexing the original cost to inflation
-deducting interest costs of your mortgage net of tax benefits from the calculation of the gains
-deducting the property taxes paid during the term of ownership from the gain
-gross or net
--etc.

Edited to add:
- netting out the cost of maintenance (not just improvements)
- research to see what percentage of your taxes are currently going for poverty support and deduct that % from the 10% figure.
- netting out sweat equity in addition to improvements

The goal is for both of you have a peaceful conscience and are in mutually, enthusiastic agreement.

Don't allow either's "giver" to be coerced into concession. This issue will cause a long term resentment this this happens.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Richard T
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Hey all question. I built a house some 35 years ago and the cost including the land was around $130,000. Over the years I put around $20,000 in improvements. I sold the house for around $320,000 and my wife feels we should pay a tithe on the sale. What are your thoughts?

I Believe the minimum would be a tenth on your first fruits.
If you have been faithfully tithing all along , you have paid tithe on what you earned to invest in your home already.
You made a 170,000 dollars profit , so 17000 would be the time
Tenth of your first fruit.
Now on the other hand some people tithe more than 10% It is a personal choice, as well beyond your tithe, you. Could make a seed offering to a needy or growing ministry.
Have Faith and be a cheerful giver , you will never out give God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I Believe the minimum would be a tenth on your first fruits.
If you have been faithfully titheing all along , you have paid tithe on what you earned to invest in your home already.
You made a 170,000 dollars profit , so 17000 would be the time
Tenth of your first fruit.
Now on the other hand some people tithe more than 10% It is a personal choice, as well beyond your tithe, you. Could make a seed offering to a needy or growing ministry.
Have Faith and be a cheerful giver , you will never out give God.

But that wasn't his question. His question was about how to come to an agreement with his wife on the matter.

I'm aware of one marriage where one spouse tithed according to her convictions although the other spouse had a different conviction about tithing and it created a very deep bitterness in the marriage.

This is a significant amount to disagree on, so to answer his question, a mutually enthusiastic decision would be far more honoring to the marriage than tithing their joint gain on his convictions alone. If he tithes a large amount that is against her wishes, it's a large event that she will not soon (if ever) forget.

For the marriage, the better position is to do nothing until both enthusiastically agree. They might put the amount he wants to tithe in a separate account until they do agree, but he would be creating a large failure in his marriage if he goes ahead with the tithe you suggest against her wishes.

Upvote 0

Endeavourer

Aug 30, 2017
Cloud 9
✟89,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you think God is pleased if you intentionally damage your marriage and hurt your wife?

How does lording/demanding a solution of your wife parallel Christ's relationship to you? Does he ever force you to do something?

You are offering some marriage wrecking advice. I don't think wrecked marriages between Christians on account of one lording over an coercing/forcing another one honor God at all. I've personally witnessed a marriage suffer very deep damage over this very issue with lasting resentment when tithes were given in a format that both were not enthusiastic about.

I don't suppose you suffer others to rob you of the liberty you have in Christ to exercise your conscience according to your convictions. Why would you suggest someone do so to another person?

The Bible actually commands the stronger brother to provide allowances in their behavior to not offend a weaker brother - it specifically says NOT to ramrod your convictions down a weaker brother's throat.

Upvote 0

hhodgson

Semper-fi
Site Supporter
Sep 20, 2011
Delphos, Ohio
✟613,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Wow, I think some of you read a lot into that question that is just not there. That said, I agree with the wife.

Whatever you guys decide to do. Do it on this side of the cross (New Covenant) which is... (I want to) give or tithe... and NOT the (Old Covenant) of... (I have to). Major difference...

Word-of-Faith1_zps3y4drm8y.gif

Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
my wife feels we should pay a tithe on the sale. What are your thoughts?
Here's my thinking on it.
  • The new covenant is of the spirit, not the letter (2Cor 3). You are not bound to a certain percentage. It is what you feel you should give.
  • If you were to tithe, as in 10%, it would be on the "increase", in this case, the profit.
  • I also would not feel bound to give all the money to the local church. It's a question of where you feel led to give. I do think the local church should be given careful consideration, though.
  • Finally, because it is a significant sum, it would be very good for you and your wife to get on the same page over it. Pray individually and together, and wait until you are in one accord. This way the act of giving will help bring you together.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Our thoughts? I have never gave because I was told to. This between you and your wife and God. Ask Him. All you get is what someone personally believes.. not what the Father wants for both of you :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Whatever you guys decide to do. Do it on this side of the cross (New Covenant) which is... (I want to) give or tithe... and NOT the (Old Covenant) of... (I have to). Major difference...

Word-of-Faith1_zps3y4drm8y.gif

My Brother, I must disagree.
People under the old covenant had the same free will as under the New covenant.
When we speak of covenant, what covenant are we referring to?
If we deny the covenant of Abraham ,we deny the that all nations would be Blessed through Abraham.
This refers to the promise of Christ.

Genesis 12: 1. Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: 2. And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing: 3. And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed. Tithing was done in Abraham's time ,long before Israel and the law of Moses.
Jacob vowed a tenth of his first fruits to God at Bethel before he was called Israel.
There seems to be so much confusion on God's everlasting promises and His everlasting commandments.
It is very simple as to the New covenant being better than the old ,yet God did not change, He redeemed us from the curse of the Law , but titheing was not originated from the law.
It was a offering to God since Cain and Able.
Because Israel obeyed it does not make it the law.
Jacob brought God everlasting law into Egypt and practices commanded by God to Noah.
The Levitical priesthood under Moses was given laws that would cover sin through blood sacrifices.
As well there were many more aspects of the Law of Moses we were redeemed from through Christ.
Christ was God and God can not change , so Christ made the ultimate sacrifice to fulfill the Law.
But with out God's natural law from the beginning ,we would not be saved at all.
We would negate the promise of Abraham, and Noah.
We do not see Christ condemning giving in the temple.
We hear him praise the widow who gave her last mite ,she gave all her money.
If that's not tithe what is ?
We hear instructions from Paul on the taking of the offering for the saints.
When we give what our heart tells us we glorify our heart.
When we give what was commanded from the beginning we glorify God.
We cannot keep the law of Moses all men have come short of the glory of God.

Malachi 3: 6. For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed. 7. Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me, and I will return unto you, saith the LORD of hosts. But ye said, Wherein shall we return? 8. Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say, Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings. 9. Ye are cursed with a curse: for ye have robbed me, even this whole nation. 10. Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it. 11. And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the field, saith the LORD of hosts. 12. And all nations shall call you blessed: for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the LORD of hosts.

God Bless you my friend, there may be one thing we agree to disagree on , but I sincerely believe in tithing
As Dad Hagin said : God is not a counterfiter He is not going to throw down money from Heaven.
And we all know Churches need funding to stay open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
You do realize that if you "tithe", you're giving money to man, and not "giving it to God", right?

Seriously ,do you realize by giving to missions How many people are saved.
That's not considered giving to God?
Your Church is not God's house then who's is it?

1 Corinthians 9: 7. Who goeth a warfare any time at his own charges? who planteth a vineyard, and eateth not of the fruit thereof? or who feedeth a flock, and eateth not of the milk of the flock? 8. Say I these things as a man? or saith not the law the same also? 9. For it is written in the law of Moses, Thou shalt not muzzle the mouth of the ox that treadeth out the corn. Doth God take care for oxen? 10. Or saith he it altogether for our sakes? For our sakes, no doubt, this is written: that he that ploweth should plow in hope; and that he that thresheth in hope should be partaker of his hope. 11. If we have sown unto you spiritual things, is it a great thing if we shall reap your carnal things? 12. If others be partakers of this power over you, are not we rather? Nevertheless we have not used this power; but suffer all things, lest we should hinder the gospel of Christ. 13. Do ye not know that they which minister about holy things live of the things of the temple? and they which wait at the alter are partakers with the alter? 14. Even so hath the Lord ordained that they which preach the gospel should live of the gospel.
So unless you can reach up and put your money in the hand of God you wont give?
God doesent need your money He demands your obedience.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon the Tanner

Aspiring Apologist / Theoretical Theologian
Mar 18, 2015
Dallas, Texas USA
✟40,334.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Tithing isn't any more necessary under the New Covenant than animal sacrifices or observing the Sabbath. We give cheerfully as we purpose in our hearts, not out of compulsion. I agree that you and the wife should pray and arrive at a figure you can both give cheerfully, whether that's 1% or 100%.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
Tithing isn't any more necessary under the New Covenant than animal sacrifices or observing the Sabbath. We give cheerfully as we purpose in our hearts, not out of compulsion. I agree that you and the wife should pray and arrive at a figure you can both give cheerfully, whether that's 1% or 100%.

Animal blood sacrifices , were made as sin offerings.
Christ's Blood is a eternal offering for our sin.

I do not understand a common purpose between sin offering and the Sabbath.
As well tithing is not in conjunction with sin offering.

Hebrews 7: 1. For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; 2. To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; 3. Without father, without mother, without descent, having neither beginning of days, nor end of life; but made like unto the Son of God; abideth a priest continually. 4. Now consider how great this man was, unto whom even the patriarch Abraham gave the tenth of the spoils. 5. And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham: 6. But he whose descent is not counted from them received tithes of Abraham, and blessed him that had the promises.

Our promise has not changed.

Hebrews 5: 6. As he saith also in another place, Thou art a priest for ever after the order of Melchisedec. 7. Who in the days of his flesh, when he had offered up prayers and supplications with strong crying and tears unto him that was able to save him from death, and was heard in that he feared; 8. Though he were a Son, yet learned he obedience by the things which he suffered; 9. And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him; 10. Called of God an high priest after the order of Melchisedec.

But as said it is from your heart ,the Word of Faith people are cheerful givers anyway.
If we hold fast to our core teaching ,we can not out give God.
Freely we give and freely we receive.
God Bless

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
One passing thought ,since this subject is often talked about.

Since some believe tithing is not mandatory, and some do believe it is obedience.....
Why don't we agree on all giving be done according to the measure of our faith?

PS , A spell checker cannot keep up with my mistakes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Simon the Tanner

Mar 18, 2015
Dallas, Texas USA
✟40,334.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
My point is that animal sacrifices, tithing, and observing the Sabbath were all done under the law. We don't offer animal sacrifices under the New Covenant, we don't observes circumcision as a religious rite, we don't keep the Sabbath, so why feel compelled to observe tithing? Incidentally, people who give 10% aren't really tithing according to the Law anyway. It only pertained to food and livestock. Nobody in the Old Testament paid 1/10 of their income as tithes.

Upvote 0

now faith

Veteran
Site Supporter
Jul 31, 2011
florida
✟257,472.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Married
My point is that animal sacrifices, tithing, and observing the Sabbath were all done under the law. We don't offer animal sacrifices under the New Covenant, we don't observes circumcision as a religious rite, we don't keep the Sabbath, so why feel compelled to observe tithing? Incidentally, people who give 10% aren't really tithing according to the Law anyway. It only pertained to food and livestock. Nobody in the Old Testament paid 1/10 of their income as tithes.

I don't want to debate this,I personally believe tithing was established before the Law.
God from the beginning of time established immutable commandments, that transcend the Law of Moses.

Jacob had not been named Israel when he made this vow.

Genesis 28: 20. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, 21. So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: 22. And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee.

Note it is not specifically stating what he will give , be it livestock or gold.
Jacob states he will give a tenth of all God gives him.

Kenneth E Hagin taught tithing here is a paragraph directly from
His training center:

The Bible plainly states, "GIVE, and it shall be given unto you; good measure, pressed down, and shaken together, and running over, shall men give into your bosom. For with the same measure that ye mete [measure] withal it shall be measured to you again" (Luke 6:38).

The Bible also plainly says, "He which SOWETH sparingly shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap also bountifully" (2 Cor. 9:6). If you want a bountiful crop, you've got to sow bountifully.

You can't reap a crop without sowing seed. You can't go out into your backyard and say, "I'm going to pick some tomatoes," if the ground hasn't been prepared and the seed sown.

The first step, then, toward getting your financial needs met is to obey the Bible.

MALACHI 3:10
10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
God said we are to bring our tithes—10 percent of our income—into the storehouse, and in return He will open up the windows of Heaven. "Prove me now herewith," he said.

So just go ahead and obey the Bible in the area of finances. Pay your tithes and give offerings. Act on God's Word in faith, and God will bless you because He's faithful and true to His Word.

Then beyond cooperating with God's laws concerning tithing and giving offerings, be open to receive further light from His Word concerning giving to others. Also, be sensitive to the Holy Spirit, Who will very often direct you specifically to give.

Now don't do something just because somebody else did. Don't operate on someone else's experience. Operate on what you know the Bible says, and operate on what the Holy Spirit is saying to you.

You don't have to have any "leading" to pay tithes and give offerings. You don't need to be led to give and sow. The Bible tells you to do those things, so just do them. But when you get out beyond that, it's when you obey the Spirit of God that things happen.

Start where you are. Be faithful to obey the Word by paying your tithes and giving offerings. And be obedient to the leading of the Holy Spirit when He directs you specifically to give. You can't out-give God. If you sow seeds bountifully in faith and obedience, you will reap an abundant harvest of blessings!

Kenneth E Hagin

Upvote 0

Simon the Tanner

Mar 18, 2015
Dallas, Texas USA
✟40,334.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I loved Kenneth Hagin, and I learned a lot from my time at Rhema, but this is one of the few things I disagreed with him on. Obviously that puts me at odds with the vast majority within the WoF. So be it.

Upvote 0