London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many Christians believe that we are told to tithe. Will said believers come along and quote the scriptures that tell us that we are ment to tithe?
And we shall have a little debate or teaching call it what you like. There could be all manner of theologians in here. I don't know. But where ever appears I hope its the best you got.

As I will destroy tithing with scripture.

So lets have some fun and save some cash so we can give it to where scripture tells us to put it. Man Jesus I love you. Thank you for setting me free from the lies of tithing.

Danthemailman

Jul 18, 2017
Midwest
✟304,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Many churches teach that we as Christians, under the New Covenant, are commanded to give a minimum of 10% of our income to our church. Others teach that preachers of these churches are turning the 10% tithe in the Old Testament into a monetary, legalistic prescription for Christians under the New Covenant. I even heard a Pastor make a challenge to his congregation to give 10% of their income for 90 days and if God does not bless them then he will give them their money back.

In 2 Corinthians 9:5-7 we read: Therefore I thought it necessary to exhort the brethren to go to you ahead of time, and prepare your generous gift beforehand, which you had previously promised, that it may be ready as a matter of generosity and not as a grudging obligation. But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver. I don't see a "specific percentage" given anywhere for Christians "under the New Covenant," but I certainly believe in giving and not just to our church. I also believe that everything we own belongs to God.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
North Carolina (Charlotte)
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You are really stuck on this aren't you? Some of us are perfectly fine giving money to our respective churchs. In the Orthodox Church we are not required to tithe. However most parishioners give as much as they can. In the early church the members gave ALL their possessions and shared them communally.

Upvote 0

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are really stuck on this aren't you? Some of us are perfectly fine giving money to our respective churchs. In the Orthodox Church we are not required to tithe. However most parishioners give as much as they can. In the early church the members gave ALL their possessions and shared them communally.
Did you not ask me for a reply and to teach you? Yes you did sir.

Stuck on Jesus yes. I love Him. Stuck on setting the captives free yes indeed I am stuck. Love it.
So it seams we have a fantastic reply already. Hope you read it. But I will add to it.

PS Yes they gave there all. But guess what little word is missing there yup its the Tithe

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Acts 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

Upvote 0

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Acts 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.
Eh not sure what you mean here man. Did someone say we are not to give? I don't think so.

Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Let each give as they can...that is the NT rule.

The Tithe thing has been hashed out to the point most people know the tithe is not necessarily biblical, some feel it is, and always will and yet others don't mind supporting their church.

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Eh not sure what you mean here man. Did someone say we are not to give? I don't think so.

The verse claims that the early church shared all possessions. That includes money. Remember the story of ananias and sapphira? Literally killed for lying about giving all their possessions? Also in the OT the Temple tax was 10% and while we may not be bound to that law, that doesn't mean it isn't a good policy to personally keep.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The verse claims that the early church shared all possessions. That includes money. Remember the story of ananias and sapphira? Literally killed for lying about giving all their possessions? Also in the OT the Temple tax was 10% and while we may not be bound to that law, that doesn't mean it isn't a good policy to personally keep.
Wow wow wow.

first things first WE are NOT under the Old Covenant. Don't even mention int in a debate. Its pointless.
You have not got a single scripture yet as to why the church teaches you to tithe to the church?
Do you have any scriptures?
You don't know they were killed Its does not say that. It says the dropped dead.

• Informative
Reactions: RaymondG
Upvote 0

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are way late for that debate. :)
There still tithing so I dont think so. Like all lessons they need to be repeated often. More often untill the other 99% get it. :)

PS if you know it please share. I would love to hear it?

Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Wow wow wow.

first things first WE are NOT under the Old Covenant. Don't even mention int in a debate. Its pointless.
You have not got a single scripture yet as to why the church teaches you to tithe to the church?
Do you have any scriptures?
You don't know they were killed Its does not say that. It says the dropped dead.

I already said that my church doesn't required tithe. That doesn't mean you shouldn't do it as a pious action.

And if you really are trying to say that two people randomly dropping dead after committing a sin doesn't imply they were killed by God then I don't even know what to say.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

☦Marius☦

Murican
Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2017
✟268,123.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There still tithing so I dont think so. Like all lessons they need to be repeated often. More often untill the other 99% get it. :)

Tithing is not a sin so you have no business telling anyone not to.

Upvote 0

AvgJoe

Member since 2005
Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2005
Texas
✟332,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
Many Christians believe that we are told to tithe. Will said believers come along and quote the scriptures that tell us that we are ment to tithe?
And we shall have a little debate or teaching call it what you like. There could be all manner of theologians in here. I don't know. But where ever appears I hope its the best you got.

So lets have some fun and save some cash so we can give it to where scripture tells us to put it. Man Jesus I love you. Thank you for setting me free from the lies of tithing.

Many Christians struggle with the issue of tithing. In some churches giving is over-emphasized. At the same time, many Christians refuse to submit to the biblical exhortations about making offerings to the Lord. Tithing/giving is intended to be a joy and a blessing. Sadly, that is sometimes not the case in the church today.

Tithing is an Old Testament concept. The tithe was a requirement of the Law in which the Israelites were to give 10 percent of the crops they grew and the livestock they raised to the tabernacle/temple (Leviticus 27:30; Numbers 18:26; Deuteronomy 14:24; 2 Chronicles 31:5). In fact, the Old Testament Law required multiple tithes—one for the Levites, one for the use of the temple and the feasts, and one for the poor of the land—which would have pushed the total to around 23.3 percent. Some understand the Old Testament tithe as a method of taxation to provide for the needs of the priests and Levites in the sacrificial system.

After the death of Jesus Christ fulfilled the Law, the New Testament nowhere commands, or even recommends, that Christians submit to a legalistic tithe system. The New Testament nowhere designates a percentage of income a person should set aside, but only says gifts should be “in keeping with income” (1 Corinthians 16:2). Some in the Christian church have taken the 10 percent figure from the Old Testament tithe and applied it as a “recommended minimum” for Christians in their giving.

The New Testament talks about the importance and benefits of giving. We are to give as we are able. Sometimes that means giving more than 10 percent; sometimes that may mean giving less. It all depends on the ability of the Christian and the needs of the body of Christ. Every Christian should diligently pray and seek God’s wisdom in the matter of participating in tithing and/or how much to give (James 1:5). Above all, all tithes and offerings should be given with pure motives and an attitude of worship to God and service to the body of Christ. “Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Corinthians 9:7).

www.gotquestions.org/tithing-Christian.html

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Johnsloan

Feb 12, 2018
London
✟23,796.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Tithing is not a sin so you have no business telling anyone not to.
Teaching people to tithe is a sin. So I do have a right. Why are you offended?
Once again you are telling me I said something I never . Please don't do that. Thank you.
I am going to crush the tithing lie in here for all to see. You don't have to read it. I understand that people will get hurt. When being told there church is misteaching at best. And stealing at worst.

I am giving you a chance to defend your stance on tithing?
As yet you can not back up what you or your church believes and teaches. Mind this is not about you. unless you make it.
I am telling you right now there is not a single scripture telling the Christian to tithe.
Not one, none,zero.

• Agree
Reactions: Jonathan Leo
Upvote 0

Arthur B Via

Art
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2016
✟86,673.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican

You are right my friend. 40 years in the Word and there's nothing telling us to tithe past Jesus and The New covenant. We give from our hearts... Old covenant teachings only give fear and make "some" preachers wealthy...

Reactions: Johnsloan
Upvote 0

Kenny'sID

Site Supporter
Feb 28, 2016
USA
✟585,394.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Know what?

If you have something to say, you don't need a reply from me to bounce it off of, just go ahead. :)

• Agree
Reactions: ☦Marius☦
Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,106,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
They lied to the Holy Spirit and were struck down dead.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.