• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Cooking and Culinary Arts' started by alllivesmatter, Jan 24, 2021.

1. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    You Should Add Baking Soda to Your Ground Meat
    "Ground meats like beef and lamb are the stars of many culinary delights such as tacos, meat sauces
    Luckily, there is a handy little chemical that solves both of these issues. It’s called “sodium bicarbonate,” but is known to most as “baking soda,” and adding it to your ground beef helps keep it tender while also speeding up the browning process.
    Last night, I finally tried it with a little over a pound of ground meat I needed to use up. I sprinkled about a third of a teaspoon of baking soda over the meat, gave it a toss, left it alone for 15 minutes, then cooked it in a pan over medium-high heat.
    I am not used to being floored by ground beef, but I was just that—floored. Even after somewhat excessive fiddling and stirring, the beef bits developed a deep, brown crust, and the usual pool of liquid was reduced to a mere puddle. It was also much more tender. There was no rubbery bounce, no unpleasant chew—just beautifully browned pieces of beefy tasting meat.
    Why does this work? The baking soda (which is very basic) raises the pH of the meat, preventing the proteins from bonding excessively (and thus squeezing water out); this keeps everything nice and tender, and prevents that pool of liquid from forming. The drier your pan, the faster your food will brown but, according to ATK, alkaline environments are also far more favorable for the Maillard reaction—the “chemical between amino acids and reducing sugars” that gives browned food its look and flavor.

You can add baking soda to cuts of meat as well. Ratio-wise, ATK recommends 1/4 teaspoon for every 12 ounces of ground meat, and a whole teaspoon for every 12 ounces of sliced meat. Mixing the baking soda with a tablespoon or two of water can help evenly distribute it (especially if you’re dealing with sliced stuff), but I found the “sprinkle and go” method to be quite effective with the ground stuff. Toss the raw meat with the bicarb (I just broke it up with a wooden spoon and pushed it around), wait 15 minutes (more time won’t amplify the baking soda’s effects), then cook via your normal method."

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. Michie

Michie Human rights begin in the womb. Supporter

+38,164
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Wow! That’s really interesting! :)

3. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    It is, I hope it helps in the dry meat I cook when it has little fat, IDK. I am not sure I agree with the crispy part though. I don't like it anymore crispy then I get already.
    sorry about the attachment at the bottom, it wouldn't let me delete and I guess I picked it up when I copied.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2021
  4. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    And it might keep your indigestion down also, lol

5. Michie

+38,164
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Do you have some some of issue that restricts your diet or is it a self discipline regimen?

6. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    I have some health problems.

7. Michie

+38,164
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    Prayers for you!

8. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Thank you and God bless you:)
    Have a nice week and I hope all goes well Tuesday.

9. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    I am very surprised that you of all people didn't know this,lol.

10. Michie

+38,164
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    I had no idea!

11. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Sometimes I like to make my own taco shells and always have the same problem. After cooking them, a place to put them so the form of a folded taco shell remains. I improvise but always think I need to invent one, 20 years have gone by and I am still doing the same thing. I think it would take off if someone was to do it. Anyone?

12. Michie

+38,164
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    They have those already. Taco holders.
    https://www.amazon.com/Taco-Holder-Stand-Stainless-Handles/dp/B0876R67TH

13. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    Wow, that's great! Before I saw your link i looked on ebay and their holders are for the taco standing up. I need one that you can drain the taco. Maybe I can turn them over to use as a drain. Most just hold them and are short maybe a few inches high so they can't be used for draining. I think I will get the stainless steel as you can use them in the oven if you need to and a drain I didn't check Amazon as it is probably more expensive but there are very few things I will buy from ebay. This is one of the few.
    ebay has changed, they only look out for the seller and they have plenty of electronic sellers that are crooks,.
    Not that I haven't had plenty of problems with Amazon also.
    Thanks for the tip!!

14. Tone

Tone "Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great." Supporter

+6,278
    United States
    Messianic
    Private
    I thought it was supposed to be "trick or treat"...?
    :scratch:

15. Michie

+38,164
    United States
    Catholic
    Married
    US-Others
    You can use them for both. Homemade shells or taco stands. All it is is a zigzag design.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. alllivesmatter

alllivesmatter EL ROI

+1,701
    United States
    Christian
    Private
    US-Republican
    So that's why your face is green, ahahahahahaha:p

17. Tone

Tone "Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great." Supporter