California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I hope people take this on a good natured way. It’s just the hue of the pic tone. I am watching this old movie and thought it too good to pass up. :D

Yeah, it was black and white, but I changed it to a green hue.

What can I say, I wanna be a greengo...!

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I ran across this technique on Home
They use it for beef stir-fry, but it does wonders for venison as well. Tough cuts that would otherwise need long cooking can be sliced thinly and alkalized.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I ran across this technique on Home
They use it for beef stir-fry, but it does wonders for venison as well. Tough cuts that would otherwise need long cooking can be sliced thinly and alkalized.
Wow, those foods look wonderful, makes my mouth water.
Do you cook those? Maybe we could come to your house next time?:)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How do you cut your lettuce for salad? I have always been told not to use a metal knife as it turns the lettuce brown so I tear it but I don't like the torn lettuce. Maybe I will try a plastic knife. What do you do Shredders are metal also and they would probably be too small a cut.
Snyders makes pretzel balls. I've been thinking they could be a replacement for crutons?sp, I bought 2 bags instead of one so that's one way to get rid of them, lol They also make a butter pretzel that is wonderful and melts in your mouth. While I was buying them a woman told me they make a mustard pretzel that is to die for but they were sold out. I will be looking for them next trip.
I am forced to make pickled onions and cucumbers because I was forced to buy 6 huge cukes. I like them but they are hard on the stomach when pickled. We used to make beets and pickled onions years ago. I think I will throw some beets in the jar also, lol.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,656,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How do you cut your lettuce for salad? I have always been told not to use a metal knife as it turns the lettuce brown so I tear it but I don't like the torn lettuce. Maybe I will try a plastic knife. What do you do Shredders are metal also and they would probably be too small a cut.
Snyders makes pretzel balls. I've been thinking they could be a replacement for crutons?sp, I bought 2 bags instead of one so that's one way to get rid of them, lol They also make a butter pretzel that is wonderful and melts in your mouth. While I was buying them a woman told me they make a mustard pretzel that is to die for but they were sold out. I will be looking for them next trip.
I am forced to make pickled onions and cucumbers because I was forced to buy 6 huge cukes. I like them but they are hard on the stomach when pickled. We used to make beets and pickled onions years ago. I think I will throw some beets in the jar also, lol.
There is no real difference in the browning of lettuce as far as tearing or cutting goes. It’s pretty much personal preference.

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private

The book "Eating on the Wild Side" addresses the browning reaction in lettuce. The book is about increasing antioxidant value in plants through selection and preparation. Her assertion is that cutting or tearing increases the antioxidant value of lettuces by mimicking the effect of insect predation. So, while you may not like the discoloration of leaves, it could actually be doing you some good!

If your pickled cucumbers are too harsh you can try diluting the vinegar, letting them rest for a week or two, or in the future removing the peel. Some people react when trying to digest the skin.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The book "Eating on the Wild Side" addresses the browning reaction in lettuce. The book is about increasing antioxidant value in plants through selection and preparation. Her assertion is that cutting or tearing increases the antioxidant value of lettuces by mimicking the effect of insect predation. So, while you may not like the discoloration of leaves, it could actually be doing you some good!

If your pickled cucumbers are too harsh you can try diluting the vinegar, letting them rest for a week or two, or in the future removing the peel. Some people react when trying to digest the skin.
Well, I gotcha you there:)
I always peel the cuke and I delute the vinegar and I leave it til it is thoroughly soaked in. Sometimes I will still find the jar in the back of the fridge still soaking. I use a huge pickle jar when doing it so they are always there til there not, lol.
Thanks for the advice though, I am sure many will take it.
We used to eat them by themselves with salt and pepper but I was just thinking they might be good added to salads. Probably wouldn't need any dressing:)

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
You're ahead of the game, alllives. A little olive oil and your pickles and you'd have yourself a fine dressing for a salad.
Do you ever brine ferment them? It's a little trickier, but the probiotic content goes through the roof!

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I don't think so but I think that is what a friend suggested with cabbage overemphasizing the need for cleanliness as it would grow mold, etc and it did, lol.
tell me about using salt. But then it is not pickled, right?
I went through a time when I dreamed of being able to make olives, sigh

Upvote 0

Kettriken

Feb 10, 2020
Pennsylvania
✟41,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Private
I agree, olives would be, siiighh...
I don't know about olives, not being in their region, but brine fermentation results in a pickling, it's just that the pickling acid is lactic from safe bacteria, rather than acetic from vinegar. Hygiene, and ideally an anaerobic environment are best for sauerkraut, but thankfully it is so dense you can just scrape off any questionable layers. Liquid brines like for cucumbers or peppers are trickier as any surface mold or yeast tends to sink down in.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟349,694.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I agree, olives would be, siiighh...
I don't know about olives, not being in their region, but brine fermentation results in a pickling, it's just that the pickling acid is lactic from safe bacteria, rather than acetic from vinegar. Hygiene, and ideally an anaerobic environment are best for sauerkraut, but thankfully it is so dense you can just scrape off any questionable layers. Liquid brines like for cucumbers or peppers are trickier as any surface mold or yeast tends to sink down in.
I remember something about olive trees here, I think you can't buy any fruit bearing olive trees here anymore. Something about allergies. We have a street here with rows and rows of olive trees. Years ago they were fruit bearing but I haven't been there for years. They were planted by the city before they became unlawful.
My saur kraut had the big blob of black so I threw it away, even if I knew what you said about scraping it off I probably would still throw it away, lol.
This is very interesting. I think we should discuss it more:) I bet there are all kinds of things to learn about it, or not:)
Thanks for the info. My friend that told me how to make kraut also made mead. Another fermenting process. Done with honey and....I have forgotten but it seems like with whatever fruit flavor you want it to be.
Happy day!

Upvote 0