Northwest US
✟674,608.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The problem in talking about the "homeless" is because we treat them as a single group and they aren't. Talking with anyone who has worked with the homeless for long, there are at least 3 distinct groups and probably more.
  1. Temporarily homeless because of circumstances beyond their control. They would like to get out of their current situation as soon as possible and just need a help up. They need material help.
  2. The ones with obvious disabilities and mental disorders. They need medical/psychiatric help.
  3. The ones who choose "homeless" as a lifestyle. (As soon as someone says this group doesn't exist you can be sure, they haven't personally looked into it.) They need tough love.
If we were to help people based on the cause of their homelessness, I feel our society would be more affective at truly solving the problem.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Here's my compassion bona fide's (actual check list). Would you post yours?

Gift to the Arbor Day Foundation is to help with climate change, so the homeless masses might have a planet to live on in the future. ;)

Note my blood pressure and heart rate reading from yesterday (just above the word 'Charities'). Pretty good, eh?

View attachment 216168
That's great!
It's still no excuse to negatively stereotype people you don't know.

Upvote 0

TheFriendlyAtheist

Oct 19, 2017
Midwest
✟21,811.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Charity is a wonderful thing but it is sufficient to effectively tackle all of the issues. We need to have a structured societal support system to prevent people from falling through the cracks and to give them a leg up when they do.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Charity is a wonderful thing but it is sufficient to effectively tackle all of the issues. We need to have a structured societal support system to prevent people from falling through the cracks and to give them a leg up when they do.

We have such a system, it's just overloaded and poorly managed. My duty as a Christian and a citizen is to support it, not manage it. If I managed it it would look a lot different than it does now ( I am a very good manager :D ).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Gotcha beat. I failed a heart stress test (ordered by my doctor). The cardiologist wanted to admit me and schedule me for bypass surgery right then and there.

The difference is, that I'm not an exception in my country.
Everyone gets the treatment I got, for the exact same price, no matter what your income is and without paying a small fortune in premiums to private insurances who contribute NOTHING to the process.

If you are going to try and tell me that your case is the standard in the US, I'm just gonna laugh.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
We are a Christian people and it is fitting that able bodied people 'who refuse to work' should go hungry (words of God, through Paul).

Again with the blindness to reality and the very real social problems many people face that you seem to be oblivious to.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
I read your link. The cause of death of most cited are 'confidential', probably because most died of drug overdoses, HIV/AIDS related problems, not hunger or exposure.

Ow boy...

This is getting worse with every post you add.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
We each choose our 'ministry'. Mine is helping people where I live. Yours seem to be criticizing me for not helping the homeless in New York (I live 1000 miles from New York).

No. We are critizising the total lack of empathy and social awareness you are demonstrating here. And your shortsighted (and rather ignorant) stereotyping and overall indifference.

Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Here's my compassion bona fide's (actual check list). Would you post yours?

Gift to the Arbor Day Foundation is to help with climate change, so the homeless masses might have a planet to live on in the future. ;)

Note my blood pressure and heart rate reading from yesterday (just above the word 'Charities'). Pretty good, eh?

View attachment 216168

Good for you.

This changes nothing about the rather horrible, disturbing and unsettling things you've been saying in this thread.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

tyke

Aug 15, 2015
✟144,403.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
We are a Christian people and it is fitting that able bodied people 'who refuse to work' should go hungry (words of God, through Paul).

Why do many Americans lack an ability to empathise with people who have had it rough in life and instead tend to generalise them as "dead beats" - to borrow a horrid expression??

Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
  • Friendly
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

DogmaHunter

Code Monkey
Jan 26, 2014
Antwerp
✟150,895.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Hey hey my friend :)

Thank you for sharing that link. That is a list of verses my dear.

Owg - "God requires repentance before forgiveness."

Doggy - "You might want to read back what Jesus supposedly said about the poor. And the rich, for that matter."

Which verse do you refer to in context to owg?

Please indulge me friend :)

You might want to read the rest of the conversation.
And Jesus = God, in christian theology, is he not?

Upvote 0

_-iconoclast-_

I live by faith in the Son of God.
Feb 10, 2017
Earth
✟37,686.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
You might want to read the rest of the conversation.
And Jesus = God, in christian theology, is he not?

Hello.

Pleas excuse me :)

John 20:28
And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,199.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Why do many Americans lack an ability to empathise with people who have had it rough in life and instead tend to generalise them as "dead beats" - to borrow a horrid expression??
That's rich, coming from the land of debtors' prisons.

Upvote 0