Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
TAMPA, Fla. — A former U.S. Air Force intelligence officer was sentenced Thursday to three years in federal prison for keeping classified documents at his home and other unauthorized locations.
In 2017, law enforcement officers discovered that Birchum knowingly removed more than 300 classified files or documents, including more than 30 items marked top secret, from authorized locations, prosecutors said. Birchum kept these classified materials in his home, his overseas officer’s quarters, and a storage pod in his driveway.
There was no indication from investigators that Birchum ever distributed the classified material.

It looks to me as if Birchum did almost exactly the same thing that Trump did.

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Very similar case. Trump tacked on disseminating some of the classified materials in his possession (based on the recordings) and obstruction, so I think his rates a bit worse.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟325,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
TAMPA, Fla. — A former U.S. Air Force intelligence officer was sentenced Thursday to three years in federal prison for keeping classified documents at his home and other unauthorized locations.
In 2017, law enforcement officers discovered that Birchum knowingly removed more than 300 classified files or documents, including more than 30 items marked top secret, from authorized locations, prosecutors said. Birchum kept these classified materials in his home, his overseas officer’s quarters, and a storage pod in his driveway.
There was no indication from investigators that Birchum ever distributed the classified material.

It looks to me as if Birchum did almost exactly the same thing that Trump did.
And the same thing Hillary did. And the same thing Biden did.

Reactions: RestoreTheJoy
Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟320,869.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
But "no reasonable prosecutor" would have brought charges against Hilary. James Comey said it himself.
Then perhaps they investigated and found that she did not, in fact, do the same thing?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
What's a presidential document?
Documents related to the president's presidential presidency. They're historical records. The National Archives takes possession of them when the president leaves office. The president isn't allowed to take them home with him. And of course he's not allowed to take classified documents either, whether they're presidential records or not.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Not even close, but we get it. You can't defend his serious criminal behavior so you're engaging in whataboutism. I wouldn't want to try and defend this either.

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
And of course he's not allowed to take classified documents either, whether they're presidential records or not.
The type that both Birchum and Trump took. So to quote an earlier post 'It looks to me as if Birchum did almost exactly the same thing that Trump did.'

Three years, eh? Do you think that's reasonable?

Upvote 0

Yttrium

Independent Centrist
May 19, 2019
Pacific NW
✟245,983.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
The type that both Birchum and Trump took. So to quote an earlier post 'It looks to me as if Birchum did almost exactly the same thing that Trump did.'
Why did you leave out the presidential records thing? Plus, not all top secret is the same. We can take a look at all the indictments against Trump, I think I spot more than one tiny little difference there...

Upvote 0

Bradskii

Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail?
Aug 19, 2018
Bondi
✟255,066.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Why did you leave out the presidential records thing? Plus, not all top secret is the same. We can take a look at all the indictments against Trump, I think I spot more than one tiny little difference there...
We're talking about the similarities in the two cases. Both involved having confidential documents which they shouldn't have had. I don't think that's either too controversial a point to make or too difficult to understand.

Do you think 3 years is reasonable?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
When one is investigated of a crime and found innocent (or at least not guilty beyond reasonable doubt), than that should be the end of it. No further cries for investigation or punishment are warranted. Even significant new evidence is no reason because of the principle of double jeopardy. So you better be pretty sure of your case before you call for an investigation.

• Agree
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Hilaries was electronic copies rather than physical copies.
Biden, he handed them over before the DOJ even realised he had them

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟493,823.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
But "no reasonable prosecutor" would have brought charges against Hilary. James Comey said it himself.
Then I guess the evidence against Hillary Clinton wasn't strong enough and the issue should be dropped.

Upvote 0

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟249,915.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
When one is investigated of a crime and found innocent (or at least not guilty beyond reasonable doubt), than that should be the end of it. No further cries for investigation or punishment are warranted. Even significant new evidence is no reason because of the principle of double jeopardy. So you better be pretty sure of your case before you call for an investigation.
I haven't seen people keep going on about D Trump being guilty of illegal conspiracy with the Russian. The Mueller report dropped and then people were done with it.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,230.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Good that we got the false equivalencies going right away in this thread.
But I may as well add the obligatory "This thread isn't about Biden and Clinton"...like how Trump gets brought up in other threads.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,476,722.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Three years, eh? Do you think that's reasonable?
Three years means there was no evidence that he passed them on to anyone else. Otherwise, it would have been an espionage charge.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: USincognito
Upvote 0