Feb 2, 2004
✟20,440.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1) What is "tea": when is it served, and food are served as a part of "tea" (beside tea)? Is there an American equivalent?

2) What is "high tea", as opposed to "tea"? On what occasions would "high tea" be served; and what foods are included in a "high tea"?

3) OK, I know this is plebian, but I'm going to ask for myself and a number of Americans who would love to have the answer to this question:

Is "The Vicar of Dibley" still playing in England? We got it for awhile on PBS here in the States, but it went away. That was probably the single funniest program I've ever seen -- and its description of parish politics was dead on!

keithylishus

Equilibrium reactant guy
Oct 28, 2003
✟15,782.00
Faith
UberLutheran said:
1) What is "tea": when is it served, and food are served as a part of "tea" (beside tea)? Is there an American equivalent?
Heh. There is an American equivilent to tea. It's called "dinner" :p Yeah... Sometimes, people call dinner "tea".

2) What is "high tea", as opposed to "tea"? On what occasions would "high tea" be served; and what foods are included in a "high tea"?
High tea is an afternoon tea drinking session with snacks and chat. I found a helpful step-by-step guide! http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/hightea/hightea.html

3) OK, I know this is plebian, but I'm going to ask for myself and a number of Americans who would love to have the answer to this question:

Is "The Vicar of Dibley" still playing in England? We got it for awhile on PBS here in the States, but it went away. That was probably the single funniest program I've ever seen -- and its description of parish politics was dead on!
The Vicar of Dibley finished ages ago :( It was a great program. It's repeated now and then on the BBC over here, AFAIK. If you have BBC America, it's on 2pm ET every weekday ;)

Reactions: UberLutheran
Upvote 0

AndrewG

Apr 26, 2004
London
✟7,639.00
Faith
Baptist
In the midlands tea is the main evening meal, I have recently moved to London where there call tea, dinner, and dinner (at midday) lunch. So I have asked why are school dinner ladies called dinner ladies when they serve lunch according to southerners?

I hope this doesn't confuse our friends in the Usa any more than it confuses me.:wave:

Upvote 0

artybloke

Mar 1, 2004
North of England
✟8,017.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Politics
UK-Labour
ChrisB said:
Only on period costume dramas on TV :D

Or in Scotland, around 4pm, with lots of strong tea (the drink that is), sandwiches with the crusts cut off and cut into quarters diagonally, and cake. Lots of cake. Squidgy cake being favourite; or maybe Dundee cake.

I had one once in a hotel in Aberdeen. It was very civilised, and probably very bad for the cholestrol levels.

Upvote 0

TheTempleTeam

Summer Of Love!
Apr 22, 2004
Aberdeen University, Scotland
✟17,358.00
Faith
Christian
artybloke said:
Or in Scotland, around 4pm, with lots of strong tea (the drink that is), sandwiches with the crusts cut off and cut into quarters diagonally, and cake. Lots of cake. Squidgy cake being favourite; or maybe Dundee cake.

I had one once in a <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=hotel&v=55">hotel</a> in Aberdeen. It was very civilised, and probably very bad for the cholestrol levels.

and this hotel was probably run by an English couple :) 'High Tea' is a very English thing, we're too busy for 'high tea' up here :p Plus... it would ruin our dinner of cheese and chips, washed down with irn bru :) Ah... the diet of the scots :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DJ_Ghost

Trad Goth
Mar 27, 2004
Durham
Visit site
✟11,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
TheTempleTeam said:
and this hotel was probably run by an English couple 'High Tea' is a very English thing, we're too busy for 'high tea' up here Plus... it would ruin our dinner of cheese and chips, washed down with irn bru Ah... the diet of the scots

Typical Glasweigen assuming the way its done in Glasgow is the way its done all over Scotland. ;)

In Dumfresshire we are very fond of high tea, but then we always where the civilised ones. You don't realy think the English could have invented something so civilised as high tea without stealing the notion from a Scot do you? I doubt they could tie their shoes ifg a Scot hadn't taught them how. ;)

Ghost
(Ex-pat Langhomite)

PS; Please take this post in the light hearted spirit it is intended.
PPS; Sorry I removed your smiles TTT, apparently the forum only allows so many in a post and I need them

Upvote 0

TheTempleTeam

Summer Of Love!
Apr 22, 2004
Aberdeen University, Scotland
✟17,358.00
Faith
Christian
No Problem Man :) Oops, there I go again! Of course I'd take it light-heartedly, glaswegians may have huge egos, but we also have the best banter in the world! (example of huge ego!). And yes.... you make a very good point they must have stolen it from the Scots. Well Done! I applaud you :)

Upvote 0

Yahweh Nissi

"The LORD Is My Banner"
Mar 26, 2003
Birkenhead, on the Wirral.
✟1,240.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
TheTempleTeam said:
and this hotel was probably run by an English couple 'High Tea' is a very English thing, we're too busy for 'high tea' up here Plus... it would ruin our dinner of cheese and chips, washed down with irn bru Ah... the diet of the scots

Possibly the finest meal of my life was a 'scoobie snack' purchased from a van called The Maggie in your fine city :) It was basically everything fried in a bun :yum:

The other great thing about Scotish quisine is haggis - I LOVE haggis, especially as part of a cooked breakfast. :yum:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

DJ_Ghost

Trad Goth
Mar 27, 2004
Durham
Visit site
✟11,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
TheTempleTeam said:
No Problem Man :) Oops, there I go again! Of course I'd take it light-heartedly, glaswegians may have huge egos, but we also have the best banter in the world!

'strue dat, I know I married one.

TheTempleTeam said:
And yes.... you make a very good point they must have stolen it from the Scots. Well Done! I applaud you :)
:D

Ghost

Upvote 0