Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Because there wasn't a thing like democracy in the Roman Empire.

The Roman Empire came out of the Greek Empire therefore it could be understood to mean, they knew about Democracy, they may not have practiced it the same as the Greeks did, but they had a similar structure of Government, under Caesar, they did have a Senate.

Simple question.

Do you believe there is a Government in the entire world, which is not corrupt?

Upvote 0

Not David

I'm back!
Apr 6, 2018
USA
✟231,310.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The Roman Empire came out of the Greek Empire therefore it could be understood to mean, they knew about Democracy, they may not have practiced it the same as the Greeks did, but they had a similar structure of Government, under Caesar, they did have a Senate.

Simple question.

No, yet History shows how godly men could influence governments and give light to it.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,296.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
That is absolutely correct, and the best case would be, just look at Obama Care.
That actually is a good example because people don't agree on if it was a good law or not. The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act is another good example for the same reason.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
No, yet History shows how godly men could influence governments and give light to it.

Is it your belief, Governments were influenced by Godly men because of their own endeavors, or did God Himself cause those men to act the way they did?

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟586,575.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What?? You think Obama was president 8 months ago?
Oh . . . well, now that I think of it . . . I no longer think that. Thank you :) lolololololololololol

Well, according to Wikipedia > there were Democratic majorities in Congress during President Obama's first two years. During this time, Obamacare was signed in.

Then, in 2010 Republicans took the majority of the House, and Democrats kept the Senate. If the Democrats had proven themselves while they had power, how come they lost power to Republicans????

2013-2015 > during the first half of President Obama's second term, Democrats still had the Senate and Republicans still had the House.

2015-2017 > Republicans had control of both chambers. Again, how come Republicans could gain while Democrats still had their Democratic president????

2017-2019 > Donald was in and Republicans had majorities in both chambers of Congress. But they could not totally repeal Obamacare. So, yes Donald has been in before eight months ago > thank you, again :)

2019- Now in progress, we have Democrats back in power in the House, while Republicans have an increased majority in the Senate. So, Republicans had time to prove themselves while they majored in both chambers; but they lost the House, yet increased in the Senate!!!! :confused: o_O

But, if Donald has not been able to totally repeal Obamacare > President Obama is, in some way, still in power. Donald guaranteed he would repeal Obamacare; he did not, while having a two-chamber majority. And now the Democrats are back??

So, we have Democrats increasing after Republicans had time to prove themselves. But yet the Republicans increase in the Senate. And now people know Donald better . . . after he lost the popular vote to Hillary.

And it seems that now that ones know him better, they are not so pleased they voted for him. They might not vote against him, but they might not be motivated to turn out for him. And this could reduce his popular vote enough to let in a Democrat. So, he could lose, and this would effect our what-if about Republicans getting the House. Even if they did . . . what about if Donald does not get in?

"without Me you can do nothing," Jesus says in John 15:5. The meek will inherit the earth.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Now all we need is a Godly man in government. Lot couldn't find ten in Sodom (Genesis 18:23-33); lotsa luck with D.C.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
There have certainly been immoral and unethical attempts (and I would add illegal, even though 5 Supreme Court justice have inexplicably disagreed) to deprive Democrats of representation. In North Carolina, 50% voted Democratic and 50% voted Republican--but 8 out of 11 Congressional districts elected Republicans. This is because of unethical gerrymandering.

The good news--not great, but good--is that Democrats have regained some gubernatorial seats. Scott Walker is gone in Wisconsin. I think there are not 23 Democratic governors, 27 Republicans, and two Democratic territorial governors. America is waking up and trying to minimize the voter suppression and gerrymandering that is part of a movement to guarantee a minority rule of older white male voters.

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
In North Carolina, 50% voted Democratic and 50% voted Republican--but 8 out of 11 Congressional districts elected Republicans. This is because of unethical gerrymandering.

Yes, and I’d love to hear anyone try and defend that kind of practice without just resorting to whataboutism.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Simple question.

Are you making a distinction between "being corrupt" and "having corruption"?

because while every system is going to have a few bad apples, that doesn't mean the system itself is a bust.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,090,732.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I would like to see Lin Manuel Miranda, composer/star of Broadway's "Hamilton," launch a voter registration movement with a video takeoff on "I'm Not Throwing Away My Shot."

"I'm Not Throwing Away My Vote," with rap verses by people whose votes are important, and whose only defense against seeing further erosion of their human rights IS the vote.

Someone who will lose health insurance if the ACA is invalidated by a stacked Republican Supreme Court...
Women who will lose their reproductive rights (think what you will, but there are a lot of them)...
Senior citizens who might lose Medicare and see their Social Security diminish...
Immigrants who live in fear and terror almost as bad as the fear and terror they fled from...
Union workers fed up with Republican union busting...
College students who will pay off their loans for decades....
Farmers losing their livelihoods due to tariffs...
And many more...

Perhaps the TV ads could rotate--with two or three rap verses alternating each time.

T-shirts saying, "I'm Not Throwing Away My Vote."

Convention theme song: "I'm Not Throwing Away My Vote."

There are more people imperiled by Trump's presidency than helped by it (I actually think that only a few select millionaires are helped by it, but I realize that there are some others who, for whatever reason, believe they are helped by it.)

We need the imperiled to band together and vote and save our democracy.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Are you making a distinction between "being corrupt" and "having corruption"?

because while every system is going to have a few bad apples, that doesn't mean the system itself is a bust.

One question first.

How many Congressmen, and Senators do you believe have taken money from Lobbyists?.......Would it be, only a few bad apples?

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would like to see Lin Manuel Miranda, composer/star of Broadway's "Hamilton," launch a voter registration movement with a video takeoff on "I'm Not Throwing Away My Shot."

"I'm Not Throwing Away My Vote," with rap verses by people whose votes are important, and whose only defense against seeing further erosion of their human rights IS the vote.

Someone who will lose health insurance if the ACA is invalidated by a stacked Republican Supreme Court...
Women who will lose their reproductive rights (think what you will, but there are a lot of them)...
Senior citizens who might lose Medicare and see their Social Security diminish...
Immigrants who live in fear and terror almost as bad as the fear and terror they fled from...
And many more...

Perhaps the TV ads could rotate--with two or three rap verses alternating each time.

There are more people imperiled by Trump's presidency than helped by it (I actually think that only a few select millionaires are helped by it, but I realize that there are some others who, for whatever reason, believe they are helped by it.)

I think one of the things that could effect the race in 2020 is what the Supreme Court decides on the Affordable Care Act (aka "Obamacare"). It was one of the major campaign issues, especially the idea that people with pre-existing conditions could lose their guarantees of health coverage. I suspect, should the Supreme Court strike down the remainder of "Obamacare," including the protections it added -- particularly Republicans cheering the gleefully cheering the appeal -- that you may see a repeat of 2018. It will give the Democrats a major boost.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,073.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One question first.

How many Congressmen, and Senators do you believe have taken money from Lobbyists?.......Would it be, only a few bad apples?

Two things I definitely feel we need to change, based on my decades of watching politics: 1) we need to publicly fund campaigns -- the campaign financing system is filled with abuse and special treatment for top donors, and 2) we need to get rid of lobbyist gifts (if not paid lobbyists, altogether). Our politicians should not be allowed to have their lunch/dinner bought for them by lobbyists, nor be allowed to have lobbyists pay for "fact finding" and other trips, etc.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

TLK Valentine

Apr 15, 2012
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
One question first.

does taking money from a lobbyist automatically make one corrupt?

I have often said that politics is the art of making deals with the devil, and then hoping you chose the right one. Machiavelli said that a pure, honest man will fail in politics because he is surrounded by those who are not good, and as such, must himself learn when and how to be "not good" if he wishes to accomplish anything.

Is campaigning in politics that much different from practicing it?

Consider this hypothetical -- I'm an aspiring senator with a genuine desire to do good for my country and my constituents. However, I'm about $1 million short of a successful campaign.

Along comes the NRA, with a $1million check that's going to assure my victory... IF I vote their way in certain upcoming firearms bills. Now, assume that normally, I'm a staunch gun-control advocate... But without that money, my campaign is sunk.

What do I do?

1. Take their money, win my election, and as a Senator, push forward a lot of legislation to improve the lives of my fellow Americans that otherwise would not have seen the light of day. However, I also flip flop on my previous firearms attitudes, and give the NRA their money's worth. Am I corrupt?

2. As above, except that when the NRA calls expecting my vote on upcoming firearms legislation, I politely inform them that while I appreciate their donation, they're nuts if they thought they could buy me off. Am I corrupt?

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married

And many more...

Hopefully maybe the Supreme Court will declare RAP as Unconstitutional.

Upvote 0

JIMINZ

Apr 13, 2017
Southern Ga.
✟157,715.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
does taking money from a lobbyist automatically make one corrupt?

Yes.

I have often said that politics is the art of making deals with the devil, and then hoping you chose the right one. Machiavelli said that a pure, honest man will fail in politics because he is surrounded by those who are not good, and as such, must himself learn when and how to be "not good" if he wishes to accomplish anything.

No one ever makes a deal with the devil and ends up in a good place.

Is campaigning in politics that much different from practicing it?

Yes, if the promises made, never see the light of day, once elected.

Consider this hypothetical -- I'm an aspiring senator with a genuine desire to do good for my country and my constituents. However, I'm about $1 million short of a successful campaign.

Along comes the NRA, with a $1million check that's going to assure my victory... IF I vote their way in certain upcoming firearms bills. Now, assume that normally, I'm a staunch gun-control advocate... But without that money, my campaign is sunk.

What do I do?

1. Take their money, win my election, and as a Senator, push forward a lot of legislation to improve the lives of my fellow Americans that otherwise would not have seen the light of day. However, I also flip flop on my previous firearms attitudes, and give the NRA their money's worth. Am I corrupt?

Then your belief is, the ends DO justify the means.
You are corrupt already, you do not need to go into Politics in order to prove it.

2. As above, except that when the NRA calls expecting my vote on upcoming firearms legislation, I politely inform them that while I appreciate their donation, they're nuts if they thought they could buy me off. Am I corrupt?

That is just being dishonest, if your belief is, they expect you to vote the way they want you to, by taking the money you are obligated to do so.

I guess it could be summed up in the word (Narcissist) where you are the only one who can do these things, therefore whatever it takes is ok with you.

Upvote 0