Those who believe the perfect in 1 Cor 13:10 refers to the 2nd coming...

Bible Highlighter

Law of the Lord is perfect, converting the soul.
Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I was not talking about salvation at all, so no point bringing that in our current discussion about Luke 12:32-33.
But a parallel passage does teach that it did relate to salvation for them.

”And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life” (Matthew 19:29).

The little flock in vs 32 refers to the remnant of Israel that believe Jesus Christ is the son of God, during Jesus's first coming.
Not sure what you are driving at here. You have to tie in the word “remnant” in the Bible with this verse to begin with. Then you need to somehow prove that this works against me in some way.

If you accept that, you cannot tell you are being arbitrary, when you reason to yourself that the literal instruction in the very next verse, which is Luke 12:33 is only "Meant for the disciples, but not for Zacchaeus, Ananias"?
Again, I am not sure what you are talking about here. To me it is clear that the disciples in the beginning were given instructions to forsake all, and yet this was not the case with Zacchaeus and Ananias and the rest of the saints. Different instructions for different individual believers is not unusual in the Bible.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is Perfect..Mathew 5:48

God is Love..1John 4
While Jesus is one with the Father, the Bible describes how it is Jesus returning on a white horse, and not the Father.
Also, the word “which” is not usually identified with a person.
That which is perfect“ sounds like it is in reference to a thing and not a person.
It would be more correct to say, “the one who is perfect is come” if it was in reference to Jesus Christ.
So Continuationists are breaking the basic grammar rules.

Reactions: Guojing
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you are driving at here. You have to tie in the word “remnant” in the Bible with this verse to begin with. Then you need to somehow prove that this works against me in some way.

Again, I am not sure what you are talking about here. To me it is clear that the disciples in the beginning were given instructions to forsake all, and yet this was not the case with Zacchaeus and Ananias and the rest of the saints. Different instructions for different individual believers is not unusual in the Bible.

The little flock of Jewish believers in Luke 12:32, who do you then consider to be members of that little flock?

Are you telling me it only comprise of the 12 apostles, and somehow excludes others like Mary, Lazarus, Martha, Zaccheus etc?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The little flock of Jewish believers in Luke 12:32, who do you then consider to be members of that little flock?

Are you telling me it only comprise of the 12 apostles, and somehow excludes others like Mary, Lazarus, Martha, Zaccheus etc?
I never did a study on the little flock before.
Please make your case with Scripture involving the little flock and the remnant involving this verse.
I am not honestly seeing the connection you are making here.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never did a study on the little flock before.
Please make your case with Scripture involving the little flock and the remnant involving this verse.
I am not honestly seeing the connection you are making here.

So if you never did one, you could somehow conclude that the little flock only comprise of the 12 disciples and nobody else?

Does that sound reasonable to you?

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
While Jesus is one with the Father, the Bible describes how it is Jesus returning on a white horse, and not the Father.
Also, the word “which” is not usually identified with a person.
That which is perfect“ sounds like it is in reference to a thing and not a person.
It would be more correct to say, “the one who is perfect is come” if it was in reference to Jesus Christ.
So Continuationists are breaking the basic grammar rules.
This chapter 1Corinthians 13 is about Love, (the greatest gift) this the adult stage of your spiritual growth to be like God. Since, its about Love, Hence why its use "which" (in reference to the gift of Love). But we know Love comes in the form of the Spirit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That is not answering my question.
It used "Which" because it refers to "Love" (ultimate gift) in this chapter. But Love can also be used to describe God Himself. (God is Love)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So if you never did one, you could somehow conclude that the little flock only comprise of the 12 disciples and nobody else?

Does that sound reasonable to you?
It’s not up to me to prove it. You were the one who brought it up. I can see how the little flock are the 12 disciples based on doing a quick look at the chapter, but it is up to you to prove how I was wrong on my previous point by your bringing up this particular tidbit. Right now you are in mystery mode and holding all the cards. If I bring something up in the Bible to try and prove something to somebody I do so with the Bible, and I don’t go into mystery mode. Either make your case with the Bible or move on. It’s not up to me to prove your position. That is your job. I believe there is a clear distinction of the type of instructions given to the disciples involving material goods, vs. Zacchaeus, Ananias, and other post cross NT saints. You’re bringing up this info about the 12 disciples being the little flock has failed to prove that I am wrong on what I said. The burden of proof is on you to prove me wrong with clear verses that make your case, and not me. I am not going to make a case against what I believe the Bible already says plainly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
This chapter 1Corinthians 13 is about Love, (the greatest gift) this the adult stage of your spiritual growth to be like God. Since, it’s about Love, Hence why its use "which" (in reference to the gift of Love). But we know Love comes in the form of the Spirit.
The Word of God is a light unto our path (See: Psalms 119:105).

Psalms 119:140
”Thy word is very pure: therefore thy servant loveth it.”

Jesus said if you love me, keep my commandments (John 14:15).
We know about the Lord’s commands from the pages of the New Testament.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I believe there is a clear distinction of the type of instructions given to the disciples involving material goods, vs. Zacchaeus, Ananias, and other post cross NT saints. You’re bringing up this info about the 12 disciples being the little flock has failed to prove that I am wrong on what I said. The burden of proof is on you to prove me wrong with clear verses that make your case, and not me. I am not going to make a case against what I believe the Bible already says plainly.

I am not trying to prove anyone wrong in Christian discussions. I am curious as to how different Christians form their doctrine.

So right now, I am curious how you conclude the little flock only consist of the 12.

It seems to me why you immediately conclude that is:
  • You want to believe that every literal instruction commanded by Jesus in his first coming, was also directed to us
  • But you don't want Luke 12:33 to be a command directed to you as well.

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It used "Which" because it refers to "Love" (ultimate gift) in this chapter. But Love can also be used to describe God Himself. (God is Love)

If you believe "that which is perfect" is charity/love.

Are you saying that no Christian, at Paul's time of writing 1 Corinthians, has love/charity?

You don't think you are trying to force the meaning, since there is faith and hope among Christians during that time, but not charity? No Christian is charitable during Paul's time?

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If you believe "that which is perfect" is charity/love.

Are you saying that no Christian, at Paul's time of writing 1 Corinthians, has love/charity?

You don't think you are trying to force the meaning, since there is faith and hope among Christians during that time, but not charity? No Christian is charitable during Paul's time?
It's "Agape Love" that Love only comes from God. (It's a gift).

This the difference between charitable and Agape Love, read verse 3 (1Corinthians 13:3).."if I give all I possess to the poor (charitable) that I may boast...and do not have Love (Agape), I gain "Nothing"..

We can give to others But it doesn't mean we have God's Love.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I am not trying to prove anyone wrong in Christian discussions. I am curious as to how different Christians form their doctrine.

So right now, I am curious how you conclude the little flock only consist of the 12.
I am not overly dogmatic on it. But the context does refer to the disciples in verse 22.
Could it be more than the 12 disciples? Well, it could have also included the 70 additional disciples (Luke 10:1).
Yes, I am aware that a similar message was preached at the sermon on the Mount in Matthew 6, which was before the people, but that does not mean that Jesus did not preach this message again in a slightly different way or spin with His disciples behind closed doors or in a secluded place. Little flock suggests that His words were spoken only to the disciples (either the 12 and or the 70 included). In either case, they were disciples that were chosen by God to be solely dedicated to Jesus Christ.

It seems to me why you immediately conclude that is:
  • You want to believe that every literal instruction commanded by Jesus in his first coming, was also directed to us
I would say that the majority of Jesus’ teachings should be literally obeyed.
However, there are obviously exceptions to the rule like this one below that do not apply.

Matthew 5:24
”Leave there thy gift before the altar, and go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother, and then come and offer thy gift.“

We obviously are no longer under the 613 Laws of Moses anymore that includes the Laws on animal sacrifices (i.e., gifts). That has been done away with on the cross because the temple veil has been torn. Hebrews 7:12 says the Law has changed.

The apostle Paul even clarifies this by saying that he is not without the Law of God seeing he is under the Law to Christ.

”To them that are without law, as without law, (being not without law to God, but under the law to Christ, ) that I might gain them that are without law.” (1 Corinthians 9:21).

So Paul is not under the 613 Laws of Moses, but Paul is under the Laws of Jesus Christ.

• But you don't want Luke 12:33 to be a command directed to you as well.
But I believe that all who live godly in Christ Jesus will suffer persecution. I do believe that we do have to pick up our cross, deny ourselves, and follow Jesus. We have to count the cost. I do believe we have to forsake any desire to be rich and follow after righteousness and fight the good fight of faith according to 1 Timothy 6. Narrow is the way that leads unto life indeed. We are told to take heed how we stand unless we fall.

Anyways, the reality is that Zacchaeus, Ananias, and other post cross NT saints are not given these same kinds of instructions involving material goods as the little flock was given involving material goods. We also see that the disciples later were given some material goods later on as a part of their mission. But the main point here is that logic dictates that we follow the later instructions on this particular topic (Seeing it is very specific). We are not apostles. To be an apostle is to have been commissioned by Christ, and to have seen the risen Lord. Very few in the Continuationist camp believe there are apostles today, but that is where such wrong thinking leads to.

But Mid Acts in my view is no better. In fact, I believe it is worse (See Jude 1:4). Nowhere does Paul and or the other apostles say we are not to follow Jesus and or His teachings, and that things are radically different now whereby we should not even obey anything Jesus had to say anymore in the gospels. Nothing is ever said about that and yet that is what Mid Acts dispensationalists do. They cut out entirely the teachings of Jesus which violates 1 Timothy 6:3-4. In fact, in time, as the early church grew, those who did not see the risen Christ and who did not know the apostles (but were of the next generation after their passing) would have only the gospels to know about Jesus. So some of them by the Scriptures alone, they would only know about Jesus by God’s Word. Jesus said we are to follow Christ, and so the way to do that is to look to the gospels. But you slice and dice and chop the Bible into pieces ignoring our Lord Jesus’ words as applying to your life. He is called our LORD for a reason. We are not our own lords and masters. We are bought and paid for with a price. We are not our own.

Jesus gave the disciples the great commission:

”Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 28:19-20).

Obviously, there are exceptions to the rule as I mentioned above. But to slice, dice, and chop out all of Jesus’ words entirely to not obey them is to ignore the great commission by our Lord. It is outright rebellion against the Lord our God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I would say that the majority of Jesus’ teachings should be literally obeyed.
However, there are obviously exceptions to the rule like this one below that do not apply.

Jesus gave the disciples the great commission:

”Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.” (Matthew 28:19-20).

So likewise, Luke 12:33 is an obvious exception as well, because you somehow reason to yourself that the members that belong to the "little flock" will not include you?

But then again, if you think Matthew 28:19-20 is also directed to you, why do you still somehow exclude the command in Luke 12:33, as one of the "all things whatsoever I have commanded you", the you there refers to the 12?

You cannot see that you yourself are also doing the "slice and dice", when it suits your purpose?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's "Agape Love" that Love only comes from God. (It's a gift).

This the difference between charitable and Agape Love, read verse 3 (1Corinthians 13:3).."if I give all I possess to the poor (charitable) that I may boast...and do not have Love (Agape), I gain "Nothing"..

We can give to others But it doesn't mean we have God's Love.

So, to conclude, you think Agape love is also not existing today, because that which is perfect has not arrived, giving rise to the continued presence of tongues, prophecies and word of knowledge?

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So likewise, Luke 12:33 is an obvious exception as well, because you somehow reason to yourself that the members that belong to the "little flock" will not include you?

But then again, if you think Matthew 28:19-20 is also directed to you, why do you still somehow exclude the command in Luke 12:33, as one of the "all things whatsoever I have commanded you", the you there refers to the 12?

You cannot see that you yourself are also doing the "slice and dice", when it suits your purpose?
No slicing and dicing needed on my end. It is common sense that you are ignoring. If a father tells his first son to do something, and then the father later changes the rule slightly in doing something different with his second son, it is not a contradiction.
Jesus said the following words later with His disciples:

Luke 22:35-36
”And he said unto them, When I sent you without purse, and scrip, and shoes, lacked ye any thing? And they said, Nothing. Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.”

So as we can see, sell ALL that you have was changed for the disciples. A new instruction was given by Jesus to the disciples. So “the sell all that you have“ instruction no longer applied at this point because Jesus was getting them to acquire certain items or things.

But as I already pointed before, this was not applicable to even all people as I pointed out with Zacchaeus, and Ananias, and other post-cross NT saints. You can bury your head in the sand, employ cognitive dissonance, or play the ignore card all you want on these points but the truth of the Scriptures speak for themselves on this matter against you.

Upvote 0

Bible Highlighter

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2014
✟1,195,112.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
@Guojing

Just as Jesus peached repentance (Luke 13:3), Paul also preached repentance.

”And the times of this ignorance God winked at; but now commandeth all men every where to repent: Because he hath appointed a day, in the which he will judge the world in righteousness by that man whom he hath ordained; whereof he hath given assurance unto all men, in that he hath raised him from the dead.” (Acts 17:30-31).

Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So as we can see, sell ALL that you have was changed for the disciples. A new instruction was given by Jesus to the disciples. So “the sell all that you have“ instruction no longer applied at this point because Jesus was getting them to acquire certain items or things.

If you view that Jesus has changed that instruction between Luke 12:33 and Luke 22, then how would you reason to yourself in these 3 passages from Acts?

Acts 2:44 And all that believed were together, and had all things common;

45 And sold their possessions and goods, and parted them to all men, as every man had need.

Acts 3:6 Then Peter said, Silver and gold have I none; but such as I have give I thee: In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth rise up and walk.

Acts 4:32 And the multitude of them that believed were of one heart and of one soul: neither said any of them that ought of the things which he possessed was his own; but they had all things common.

Did they not understand what you are saying now, that Luke 22:35-36 canceled the instructions in Luke 12:33?

Upvote 0

pasifika

Apr 1, 2019
Waikato
✟163,816.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
So, to conclude, you think Agape love is also not existing today, because that which is perfect has not arrived, giving rise to the continued presence of tongues, prophecies and word of knowledge?
Every gifts are still available for us today, it's purpose is to grow us "spiritually" to be like our Father in heaven. Some people may not believe in this but that's what I believe. Is Agape Love still existing today I don't know, I know i have not yet possess it.

Upvote 0