East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
This is a hard question to answer I am well aware. For those that DO answer this question, first, let me commend you for replying because this takes a lot of guts. First I am asking any males or females that have been IN THE PAST been abusive with their spouse or significant other. My question is: Do these people change? If you once did this "how" and or "what" caused you to change? What was your thinking and feeling over the acts you committed? What caused you to be abusive (physically)? How did you justify it in your mind and what things in your life caused you to possibly abuse? Was it something inside of you that you couldn't handle, such as certain emotions or situations? What about the person you were abusing, did you feel bad about it? Explain your thought process and how did this affect your partner? Did you truly love them? Or was there a strange hate for the person? What could someone have done for you or to you that would've helped you change this behavior? Maybe someone reading this thread right now is going thru this type of abuse, what would you say to them?

AGAIN, I realize I am asking for someone to open up about something they are not proud of doing. So to those that respond, I thank you in advance. I don't expect this thread to explode with open confessions due to its sensitive nature.

8592c650b1e87986c825247cd37833ce.jpg

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Change is hard because often its the situation that brings the worst out of people.

My situation, I was in a relationship where my partner was extremely controlling, manipulative and possessive.

I was a drunk, full of evil fantasies (e.g. party to pick up girls) and depressed.

I was the bread winner and was working full time.

Long story short, my partner started threating suicide and acting on it, which led me to physically restrain her.

This behaviour increased to the point of absolute hopelessness.

She would cut herself put knifes/scissors to her neck, broken bottles and had bags of medication she had stashed for her "suicidal" plan.

The first time we ended up in a physical alteration that involved police was when I was vacuuming the floor and she demanded I stop and listen to her, I continued to vacuum and it escalated into her grabbing scissors and cutting her self then putting them to her neck to control me.

I managed to escape (by escape I mean I was able to leave the front door without her impulsively trying to stand in the way of the door to stop me from shutting it) and called the police.

When the police arrived they saw her erratic behaviour, trying to climb the back fence to control the situation.

On that occurrence I was made a respondent because she had prior bruising from a previous altercation, but later the charge was withdrawn.

This sort of behaviour continued to escalate, and my need for distance and her need for closeness didn't help and fuelled the fire.

My partner had a life of rejection and was fixated on the hurt that others have caused her, mainly her mum.

My main issue was anger, and sexual fantasies with other people.

Did I change?

Yes,

How?

God came to me and humbled me to the point I was on my belly, and He showed me that the life I've been living had no fruit.

When God humbled me, He gave me 12 months to take care of her before she passed (which I had no idea she would)

She became very ill, with phenomena and bronchiectasis with a failing liver and kidneys from medication abuse.

Through that 12 month period the triggers (anger or abandonment) where still there and I had to war with my very being nearly every day (anger).

To reject anger, to act in love which is what I felt under all the dysfunction.

We ended up sleeping on the couch together for her final months before I just couldn't take it anymore, I was going insane and I was calling the police and ambulance services frequently because of her mental condition and the consequences.

I left her to go to my parents 4 days prior to her death after losing my Job taking too much time off to care for her 4 week prior to my departure.

During those 4 weeks I tried everything to manage the situation for us including interviews for new work, putting up all our possessions for sale so we could move to another state if need be.

But it didn't work out, and I left.

I tried to manage emergency services from my parents home, but contact went dark. I went back to the house a few days later and found her dead on the floor.

I'm willing to extrapolate more.

My partner use to chase me down the street on the way to work in her night gown out of her desperations.

Or jump on the bonnet of my car to stop me from leaving.

She use to call me over 50 times a day at work, required me to tuck her in 50 times at night, required that I say I love you 100 times a day.

If I didn't "say" the right thing in her mind, there would be a 2 hour argument about how I "don't love her" in her eyes.

The poor soul, I love her still to this day.

I witnessed something I wish I never had, a slow deterioration of suffering unto death.

I'm normally quite calm and am not easily angered, however all you need is the right personality and the right circumstance to test your very nature, and expose what you think you were never capable of.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Change is hard because often its the situation that brings the worst out of people.

My situation, I was in a relationship where my partner was extremely controlling, manipulative and possessive.

I was a drunk, full of evil fantasies (e.g. party to pick up girls) and depressed.

I was the bread winner and was working full time.

Long story short, my partner started threating suicide and acting on it, which led me to physically restrain her.

This behaviour increased to the point of absolute hopelessness.

She would cut herself put knifes/scissors to her neck, broken bottles and had bags of medication she had stashed for her "suicidal" plan.

The first time we ended up in a physical alteration that involved police was when I was vacuuming the floor and she demanded I stop and listened to her, I continued to vacuum and it escalated into her grabbing scissors and cutting her self then putting them to her neck to control me.

I managed to escape (by escape I mean I was able to leave the front door without her impulsively trying to stand in the way of the door to stop me from shutting it) and called the police.

When the police arrived they saw her erratic behaviour, trying to climb the back fence to control the situation.

On that occurrence I was made a respondent because she had prior bruising from a previous altercation, but later the charge was withdrawn.

This sort of behaviour continued to escalate, and my need for distance and her need for closeness didn't help and fuelled the fire.

My partner had a life of rejection and was fixated on the hurt that others have caused her, mainly her mum.

My main issue was anger, and sexual fantasies with other people.

Did I change?

Yes,

How?

God came to me and humbled me to the point I was on my belly, and He showed me that the life I've been living had no fruit.

When God humbled me, He gave me 12 months to take care of her before she passed (which I had no idea she would)

She became very ill, with phenomena and bronchiectasis with a failing liver and kidneys from medication abuse.

Through that 12 month period the triggers (anger or abandonment) where still there and I had to war with my very being nearly every day (anger).

To reject anger, to act in love which is what I felt under all the dysfunction.

We ended up sleeping on the couch together for her final months before I just couldn't take it anymore, I was going insane and I was calling the police and ambulance services frequently because of her mental condition and the consequences.

I left her to go to my parents 4 days prior to her death after losing my Job taking too much time off to care for her 4 week prior to my departure.

During those 4 weeks I tried everything to manage the situation for us including interviews for new work, putting up all our possessions for sale so we could move to another state if need be.

But it didn't work out, and I left.

I tried to manage emergency services from my parents home, but contact went dark. I went back to the house a few days later and found her dead on the floor.

I'm willing to extrapolate more.

My partner use to chase me down the street on the way to work in her night gown out of her desperations.

Or jump on the bonnet of my car to stop me from leaving.

She use to call me over 50 times a day at work, required me to tuck her in 50 times at night, required that I say I love you 100 times a day.

If I didn't "say" the right thing in her mind, there would be a 2 hour argument about how I "don't love her" in her eyes.

The poor soul, I love her still to this day.

I witnessed something I wish I never had, a slow deterioration of suffering unto death.

I'm normally quite calm and am not easily angered, however all you need is the right personality and the right circumstance to test your very nature, and expose what you think you were never capable of.
You really opened up and exposed yourself here and for that I thank you, that takes alot of courage and I respect you for sharing. Im sorry you lost her and I know you have changed and are still changing to this day.

Do you "think/feel" that you were always angry inside OR did this just manifest with her because of her personality and her neediness? Kinda like fire and gas. And you kept saying you wanted distance from her, can you explain why?

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You really opened up and exposed yourself here and for that I thank you, that takes alot of courage and I respect you for sharing. Im sorry you lost her and I know you have changed and are still changing to this day.

Do you "think/feel" that you were always angry inside OR did this just manifest with her because of her personality and her neediness? Kinda like fire and gas. And you kept saying you wanted distance from her, can you explain why?

I wanted distance because she was possessive and controlling through emotional manipulation.

I wanted to leave after the first suicide attempt but my hear was with her and there was no breaking it.

Even the 4 days that I left in the end, God knows I would have ended up back with her because I loved her so much and wanted the best for her.

I witnessed her regress back into her child like persona, it was very innocent towards the end, she was going to God.

But in that situation a few evil word seeped through her mouth into my ears when she was half asleep causing me to act on that particular occasion and subtly arrange to leave for my parents the next day.

I wish I had the strength, but I know now after all the suffering has stopped I was on the same path towards death. I'm only just getting back to a sense of normality and its been nearly 12 months.

Now I was a terrible person, always criticising her for her body (after a massive weight loss) and also looking at "other" women with lust in my heart.

I also cheated, I think we both did.

But the last 12months were all about being spiritually poor towards God, after He humbled me most of my anger went away and I was focused on restoring my partner to mental health.

But I was barking up a tree, her fate was sealed.

My anger started as a boy when I was picked on for most of my early school life and I had to learn to physically defend myself.

But I gave all that up in High School and my anger was inward where my depression resided.

It wasn't until my first wife that I saw myself take some physical control over certain situations. But was very minimal and nothing like what I've just described.

We were a cocktail for disaster.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I wanted distance because she was possessive and controlling through emotional manipulation.

I wanted to leave after the first suicide attempt but my hear was with her and there was no breaking it.

Even the 4 days that I left in the end, God knows I would have ended up back with her because I loved her so much and wanted the best for her.

I witnessed her regress back into her child like persona, it was very innocent towards the end, she was going to God.

But in that situation a few evil word seeped through her mouth into my ears when she was half asleep causing me to act on that particular occasion and subtly arrange to leave for my parents the next day.

I wish I had the strength, but I know now after all the suffering has stopped I was on the same path towards death. I'm only just getting back to a sense of normality and its been nearly 12 months.

Now I was a terrible person, always criticising her for her body (after a massive weight loss) and also looking at "other" women with lust in my heart.

I also cheated, I think we both did.

But the last 12months were all about being spiritually poor towards God, after He humbled me most of my anger went away and I was focused on restoring my partner to mental health.

But I was barking up a tree, her fate was sealed.

My anger started as a boy when I was picked on for most of my early school life and I had to learn to physically defend myself.

But I gave all that up in High School and my anger was inward where my depression resided.

It wasn't until my first wife that I saw myself take some physical control over certain situations. But was very minimal and nothing like what I've just described.

We were a cocktail for disaster.
How do you help someone in this situation? How and what do you think helps the abuser? Because I hear you saying that you really loved her and I suppose Im wondering if somewhere in the mind does physical pain just disassociate with love? (i hope that made sense)

So you said you were kinda bullied when younger which I could understand would cause you to rise up in anger easily at the first thought of someone trying to control you or hurt you. I suppose you hear stories of how others came from a horrible childhood and they saw their parents abuse, which is not always the case.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
How do you help someone in this situation? How and what do you think helps the abuser? Because I hear you saying that you really loved her and I suppose Im wondering if somewhere in the mind does physical pain just disassociate with love? (i hope that made sense)

So you said you were kinda bullied when younger which I could understand would cause you to rise up in anger easily at the first thought of someone trying to control you or hurt you. I suppose you hear stories of how others came from a horrible childhood and they saw their parents abuse, which is not always the case.

To help the abuser the abused must learn the trigger points.

The abuser should be granted a safe word or a stop word "e.g. Flying fig tree" and both parties should then realises things have escalated and space and time is needed.

If the abused is acting out of emotion and hurt e.g. (I don't feel you love me)

These are explosive in my mind: Because If I'm here with you I love you, even though life appears to suck.

Anger = Danger

I really loved her on a spiritual level too, I wanted to undo all the toxic work that her previous Statistic Atheist husband had caused her.

She was saved 12 months prior to her death, without my involvement on the occasion, she was in another state at the time. Thank you Lord!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Also love trumps suffering and pain.

But it requires a true commitment to our Lord.
She was saved 12 months prior to her death, without my involvement on the occasion, she was in another state at the time. Thank you Lord!
Im so glad she was saved :)

To help the abuser the abused must learn the trigger points.
But that would require the abuser to "acknowledge" there is a problem, I dont see many that are willing to do that, most say its your fault and there is no warning sign that its coming IF its a fit of rage. But I do see your points and again, thank you, this is very courageous of you.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Im so glad she was saved :)

But that would require the abuser to "acknowledge" there is a problem, I dont see many that are willing to do that, most say its your fault and there is no warning sign that its coming IF its a fit of rage. But I do see your points and again, thank you, this is very courageous of you.

Yes very true, a person must be self aware (the self being against God), and that comes from Truth, God.

Sometimes it may help for a professional to point out issues.

E.g. I went to a Doctors surgery filled out their questionnaire (I had being drinking 1-3 standard drinks per night) and was instantly told I'm an alcoholic and needed to change.

I agreed to give it up.

Intervention may be another one.

Where the whole family approaches someone with an issue.

I feel for anyone in this situation because I know where it leads.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
If someone says it's your fault, for the sake of peace and security, don't just fire back with It's not, perhaps say, you know you may have a point let me think on this for a bit.

That gives space also.

Space is where the anger calms down, and God can begin to soften again.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes very true, a person must be self aware (the self being against God), and that comes from Truth, God.

Sometimes it may help for a professional to point out issues.

E.g. I went to a Doctors surgery filled out their questionnaire (I had being drinking 1-3 standard drinks per night) and was instantly told I'm an alcoholic and needed to change.

I agreed to give it up.

Intervention may be another one.

Where the whole family approaches someone with an issue.

I feel for anyone in this situation because I know where it leads.
True and many times others have no idea that it's going on in the home because on both parties I think there is an extreme amount of shame (for both).

I've even witnessed when they can't hit their partner, they will hit/throw/break things and even hit themselves. It's just kinda hard to get into their thinking process. And like you said, it takes GOD to change them. So you would agree that they can be reformed and can change? This is in no way saying it is ok for someone to stay with the abuser at all because there is a definite risk here and a fine line drawn in the sand. So for those reading this, I am NOT implying to stay with them just because one person changed. IT TOOK GOD to change this man, right?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If someone says it's your fault, for the sake of peace and security, don't just fire back with It's not, perhaps say, you know you may have a point let me think on this for a bit.

That gives space also.

Space is where the anger calms down, and God can begin to soften again.
NOW, THIS is very very helpful. A cooling down.

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
True and many times others have no idea that it's going on in the home because on both parties I think there is an extreme amount of shame (for both).

I've even witnessed when they can't hit their partner, they will hit/throw/break things and even hit themselves. It's just kinda hard to get into their thinking process. And like you said, it takes GOD to change them. So you would agree that they can be reformed and can change? This is in no way saying it is ok for someone to stay with the abuser at all because there is a definite risk here and a fine line drawn in the sand. So for those reading this, I am NOT implying to stay with them just because one person changed. IT TOOK GOD to change this man, right?

Yes God can change us.

I remember my final anger bust and I was praying through it screaming to God "I cant do this!", "I cant be like this anymore"

Fighting against my body which wanted the result of anger in the heart.

My body just wanted it all to stop, but my love wanted her at peace, in love, happy with God.

God changed our situation by calling home my partner.

Legally I was in an adulterous relationship with her as my previous wife up and left me.

I really wouldn't recommend people continue to suffer in a relationship like I lived.

And let me bring some perspective here, even the psych wards didn't want to help her.

They kept releasing her into my care.

On one occasion she was taken to hospital after a suicide attempt and was screaming my name and acting uncontrollably in hospital and she was restrained!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
NOW, THIS is very very helpful. A cooling down.

It's essential for men, we have the emotional capacity of a lizard.

We become over cooked quite quickly and words end up flying through to the heart which causes anger if the words are critical or in that vein.

It causes us to become irrational and act in emotion.

Unfortunately many men have anger as their primary emotional expression.

Upvote 0

Solomons Porch

Solomon's Porch
Jan 8, 2017
East
✟206,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It's essential for men, we have the emotional capacity of a lizard.

We become over cooked quite quickly and words end up flying through to the heart which causes anger if the words are critical or in that vein.
lol a lizard huh?

Upvote 0

I'm_Sorry

Taking a break from CF
Site Supporter
Oct 18, 2016
Australia
✟131,197.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status