This pastor will sign a religious exemption for vaccines if you donate to his church

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,211,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/09/15/pastor-donate-vaccine-religious-exemption/

Couple of quick questions:
1) Which religious doctrine, specifically, forbids vaccination?

2) If the answer to question 1 is anything to do with the fact that R&D was done with decades-old fetal tissue cell lines, then I'd urge you to "do the research" as the same would be true with many of the medications you currently have in your medicine cabinet right now. Claiming that taking a covid vaccine makes one complicit in abortion based on the fact that decades-old fetal cell lines were used in the R&D process, is as intellectually dishonest as claiming that taking Bayer aspirin makes one complicit in the holocaust.

3) If one is invoking God using the aforementioned reasoning for this particular vaccine as a matter of political convenience, but not applying that standard to every other medication they take (that's not politically polarized), wouldn't that be taking God's name in vain?...or at the very least, cheapening it?

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟733,963.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2021/09/15/pastor-donate-vaccine-religious-exemption/

2) If the answer to question 1 is anything to do with the fact that R&D was done with decades-old fetal tissue cell lines, then I'd urge you to "do the research" as the same would be true with many of the medications you currently have in your medicine cabinet right now. Claiming that taking a covid vaccine makes one complicit in abortion based on the fact that decades-old fetal cell lines were used in the R&D process, is as intellectually dishonest as claiming that taking Bayer aspirin makes one complicit in the holocaust.

3) If one is invoking God using the aforementioned reasoning for this particular vaccine as a matter of political convenience, but not applying that standard to every other medication they take (that's not politically polarized), wouldn't that be taking God's name in vain?...or at the very least, cheapening it?

Is the church desperately in need of funding to help a member of the congregation pay for life-saving medical treatment, like say for cancer or something?

Because I can't think of anything else that would justify such illicit abuse of the pastoral office.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0

grasping the after wind

That's grasping after the wind
Jan 18, 2010
Clarence Center NY USA
✟237,637.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

And here I thought this thread was going to be about the article you posted .

Last edited:
Reactions: SongOnTheWind
Upvote 0

CRAZY_CAT_WOMAN

My dad died 1/12/2023. I'm still devastated.
Jul 1, 2007
Native Land
✟333,415.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
How can a pastor be so deceived? That they keep wanting to put their church goers in danger. We been getting vaccinations for ever. Covid-19 vaccinations are no different.

Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I know of at least 2 or 3 potential reasons on this

1) A few sects do not like modern medicine at all and want everything to be by Faith etc. it's a small minority of groups like Christian Science, a few Pentecostals

2) Catholics and some Protestants object to fetal tissue, stem cells or whatever was used for the vaccines. It's kind of like a reward or justification for abortion, kind of like how some people refused to use the research that the Nazi's did on prisoners of war, since they used humans as guinea pigs in many horrible ways, but also learned a lot in the process in many fields.

3) Lastly their is the creeping power of the state, where you are kind of paving the way for an antichrist type figure by giving away your rights to the state.

Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

1) Freedom of conscience for issues of liberty like taking a vaccine.

Upvote 0

pescador

Wise old man
Site Supporter
Nov 29, 2011
✟498,844.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I know of at least 2 or 3 potential reasons on this

1) A few sects do not like modern medicine at all and want everything to be by Faith etc. it's a small minority of groups like Christian Science, a few Pentecostals

2) Catholics and some Protestants object to fetal tissue, stem cells or whatever was used for the vaccines. It's kind of like a reward or justification for abortion, kind of like how some people refused to use the research that the Nazi's did on prisoners of war, since they used humans as guinea pigs in many horrible ways, but also learned a lot in the process in many fields.

3) Lastly their is the creeping power of the state, where you are kind of paving the way for an antichrist type figure by giving away your rights to the state.

Really? Unbelievable!

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟587,705.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I am not aware of any official anti-vax doctrine of churches I have attended.

But there is the issue of fetal tissue being used, however.

And it looks like ones feel Democratic leaders are using unnecessary COVID measures in order to break people in to being controlled by secular people. Ones feel secular people have been using the pandemic to interfere with churches.

Not all are like this, but I personally know various Bible claiming people who feel people are trying to use governing power to control people and interfere with churches, and ones of such suspicion can also be anti-vax . . . or they are against being dictated-to to get the shots. Ones who see things this way can be right in the same congregations as others who do not worry about being told things to do.

Ones use Romans 13 to show we Christians need to cooperate with governing authorities, but others find this pandemic regulatory situation is not what God means.

But it seems it comes down to how each individual decides to see things. And Bible claiming people will likely have some sort of religious thinking to go with whichever way each one chooses to see things. But in my opinion there is no denomination which has an anti-vax doctrine; however, certain mega-church pastors and TV ministries might influence large groups to be anti-vax.

But ones against vaccines can also be loyalists of Donald Trump; so it is possible their basis is not really religious. Plus, there is question if Donald is really anti-vax. He did avoid masks, to my knowledge; but ones could suppose that meant he also was anti-vax. People on both "sides", then, could have each views claiming to be religious, but not based on facts, but based on confusion.

Each person is different, then, I would say; you might have the most challenging and interesting adventure, by personally getting to know each person so you can discover his or her real reason for what he or she does. And I will offer that humans are not in different groups in which all of a certain group are clones of one another. Ones might do similar things for very unique reasons :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Last I heard, the Pope and the Vatican endorsed getting Covid vaccinations.

• Agree
Reactions: ArmenianJohn
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Where can I find that in the Bible?

Romans 14 is the gold-standard for issues of conscience/liberty for Christians. Another good source is the Vatican note on the issue, which while it says it is acceptable to receive vaccines and even good we still have freedom of conscience, and it exhorts those who use it and don't get it to not get sick or get others sick.

"Those who, however, for reasons of conscience, refuse vaccines produced with cell lines from aborted fetuses, must do their utmost to avoid, by other prophylactic means and appropriate behavior, becoming vehicles for the transmission of the infectious agent. In particular, they must avoid any risk to the health of those who cannot be vaccinated for medical or other reasons, and who are the most vulnerable."

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Romans 14 is the gold-standard for issues of conscience/liberty for Christians. Another good source is the Vatican note on the issue, which while it says it is acceptable to receive vaccines and even good we still have freedom of conscience, and it exhorts those who use it and don't get it to not get sick or get others sick.

"Those who, however, for reasons of conscience, refuse vaccines produced with cell lines from aborted fetuses, must do their utmost to avoid, by other prophylactic means and appropriate behavior, becoming vehicles for the transmission of the infectious agent. In particular, they must avoid any risk to the health of those who cannot be vaccinated for medical or other reasons, and who are the most vulnerable."
So nothing in the Bible specifically forbids vaccines (original question you responded to)? It's just a matter of personnel conscious?

• Agree
Upvote 0

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So nothing in the Bible specifically forbids vaccines (original question you responded to)? It's just a matter of personnel conscious?

Nothing forbids it of course, and Scripture even exhorts people to wisely make use of medicines, it's just they don't have to in most cases I'd think (I say "most" for I am sure one can come up with a case where you have to using our moral theology, but I know in advance it will end up being a vague thing which I hate moral vagueness), so it is a matter of conscience.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,819.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Nothing forbids it of course, and Scripture even exhorts people to wisely make use of medicines, it's just they don't have to in most cases I'd think (I say "most" for I am sure one can come up with a case where you have to using our moral theology, but I know in advance it will end up being a vague thing which I hate moral vagueness), so it is a matter of conscience.
So then, do you think this "matter of conscience" justifies a religious exemption from getting vaccinated as a condition of employment?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Abaxvahl

Jan 28, 2018
Earth
✟33,785.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
So then, do you think this "matter of conscience" justifies a religious exemption from getting vaccinated as a condition of employment?

Yes. I also think people should just be able to be exempt for reasons of conscience in general religious or not. But for Christians we could claim either one, since I could cite Romans 14 (or in my case as a Catholic the Vatican) or just say "my conscience says so."

Upvote 0

Johanna1234

Oct 10, 2021
Raleigh
✟8,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single

Hey. The commandment "Thou shall not kill." These injections are proven to be lethal. Suicide is killing oneself.

Reactions: SongOnTheWind
Upvote 0

Pavel Mosko

Arch-Dude of the Apostolic
Site Supporter
Oct 4, 2016
Boyertown, PA.
✟768,605.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Last I heard, the Pope and the Vatican endorsed getting Covid vaccinations.

Some Catholics are very strict on this stuff, I think I've had at least 3 different ones bring it up when it came to threads about whether or not to get the jab.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,211,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
And here I thought this thread was going to be about and the article you posted .

It is about the article. A pastor is basically selling vaccine exemptions (for political purposes) in the name of the faith (thus calling it a religious exemption).

If it's actually a "religious exemption" then someone should be able to point to a particular religious practice or teaching that would exempt someone from it. I don't think "this person is willing to give me $100" satisfies that criteria.

For instance, if a Jewish person were in a situation were someone was trying to make them eat pork, they can point to a clear, concise, well-established religious teaching in their holy book that forbids them from doing so.

Where is that same clear and concise teaching with regards to evangelicals and vaccination?

• Useful
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,211,441.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am not aware of any official anti-vax doctrine of churches I have attended.

But there is the issue of fetal tissue being used, however.

To be accurate, fetal cell lines were used in the R&D process (fetal cell lines that are decades old, and cultured in a lab to make new ones to test with). There's no fetal tissue in the vaccines.

But that's true of any number of medicines out there that people were perfectly willing to take without issue. When people have been using those other medicines for years and years with nary a gripe, but then all of the sudden want to employ a rigid standard on this one in particular, it seems more like a convenient argument rather than a sincere belief.

Upvote 0