Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Via His word and the Spirit.
those are abstracts and are no different than saying God does it. the end product is something far more concrete, so what are the concrete end points of teaching and chastising via His word and the Spirit

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
those are abstracts and are no different than saying God does it. the end product is something far more concrete, so what are the concrete end points of teaching and chastising via His word and the Spirit
Not sure i understand the question. The end result would be that we become Spiritual adults and follow the Lord.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not sure i understand the question. The end result would be that we become Spiritual adults and follow the Lord.
if a person hits someone with a stick to knock sense in them they, of course, are the one that causes it but the stick was the tool that did it. Their will and motivation to hit is abstract the stick is the concrete endpoint, the thing that hits the other and knocks the sense in them. So how does God/His word/Spirit teach or chastise; what is his concrete end point?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
if a person hits someone with a stick to knock sense in them they, of course, are the one that causes it but the stick was the tool that did it. Their will to hit is abstract the stick is the concrete endpoint, the thing that hits the other and knocks the sense in them. So how does God/His word/Spirit teach or chastise; what is his concrete end point?
I cant say how it would be for another person, only myself. What about you? Have you ever been chastened by the Lord?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Good, then you will be blessed by this sermon. Take the time to listen and tell me what you think.

The natural man, the carnal man, and the spiritual man

thanks but no thanks, it would, however, be nice to engaged my response. Of course, the creativity of God is infinite and he is not limited to only people. The Bible shows us many ways God interacts with us, from dreams/visions, prophecies, physical appearances and donkeys to name a few. You seem to be making this too abstract, our thoughts are only the product of God interacting with us but there is always a physical method because we are physical beings, and this is the design of the church, to be the body of Christ and concrete endpoint of God. As to the OP theology is abstract and what you define is the application of theology.

Last edited:
Reactions: Resha Caner
Upvote 0

Foxfyre

Site Supporter
May 1, 2017
New Mexico
✟233,566.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No control? You don't think we can change the way we think by reading the Bible, meditating on Scripture, and prayer?

No. God can change the way we think or respond to the world around us in every way if we are open to letting him help us with an attitude adjustment. We can choose to re-educate ourselves so that we think about things differently. We can be tired of being angry or negative or judgmental all the time and might be able to find solutions for that by reading and meditating on the Scripture, and our hearts and thoughts will change. But I give God credit for that. Not me. We can feel angry and choose not to dwell on that. We can give ourselves credit for that.

Upvote 0

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Isn't belief something that we do? Why do we need to sharply divide belief from action?
Theology is not "belief". It is a process that we do to determine the truth of our beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

(° ͡ ͜ ͡ʖ ͡ °) (ᵔᴥᵔʋ)

Site Supporter
Oct 14, 2015
✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No control? You don't think we can change the way we think by reading the Bible, meditating on Scripture, and prayer?
You cannot change your beliefs. Only an external source such as new knowledge or experience can change your beliefs. Try to "choose" to believe that the electronic device you are currently using to read this post does not exist. I would bet that you cannot choose to truly believe that. Scripture is clear that the only external source that is capable of changing someone's belief in Jesus is the Holy Spirit. (1 Corinthians 12:3).

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
thanks but no thanks, it would, however, be nice to engaged my response. Of course, the creativity of God is infinite and he is not limited to only people. The Bible shows us many ways God interacts with us, from dreams/visions, prophecies, physical appearances and donkeys to name a few. You seem to be making this too abstract, our thoughts are only the product of God interacting with us but there is always a physical method because we are physical beings, and this is the design of the church, to be the body of Christ and concrete endpoint of God. As to the OP theology is abstract and what you define is the application of theology.
Which church? there are many. Which one should i follow? The concrete endpoint for me is the scriptures and the Spirit God has put in me. Why should i follow your church?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Which church? there are many. Which one should i follow?
seeing how it's Christ's church then you should probably ask him if you are so unsure. but I don't know how this changes the point, the concrete endpoint of God is his church and this is by design, his design.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
seeing how it's Christ's church then you should probably ask him if you are so unsure.
I did and i found no answer. The only answer i found was that i should follow the scriptures and the Spirit in me. The concrete end point is the scriptures and the Spirit in me.

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I did and i found no answer. The only answer i found was that i should follow the scriptures and the Spirit in me. The concrete end point is the scriptures and the Spirit in me.
because you have no answer doesn't mean there is no Christ's church, it exists with or without your intimate knowledge of it and it exists for a purpose as the embodiment of his kingdom to spread the knowledge of his glory as the waters cover the sea. Church as a collective body of Christ working together for his glory, his ekklesia or called out ones, not a building or a day/time of the week. Scripture affirms the former but not the latter, the latter is from Christian enculturation the former is biblically rooted.

The Spirit in you is still an abstract; a metaphysical element that you cannot physically observe. You, however, are not, you are the concrete endpoint of the spirit, as the spirit gives you new life and enables you, not some disembodied entity, to fulfill his will. But it's more than that, and to stop at the individual would be counter-spirit. The scripture as a book is a concrete, a physical "thing" you can observe, it is the embodiment of God's word, an abstract. It alone does nothing and is powerless unless someone reads it and follows it's teachings. However to say we are to do this alone would be counter-scripture and sincere obedience of scripture and the spirit should naturally seek a body of believers to join with who also have the Spirit in them and follow his word, and this is Christ's Church.

I don't know what your point or struggle is because you're too mysterious about it but if your struggle is the modern day church than seek a body of believers of like mind that you can engage with. If you can't find one then start one. The biblical model, if there is any at all, are in homes so if big box church offends you then find a house church or start one yourself.

It is odd to hear someone who abandons "church" for principled reasons because if you are following scripture and the Spirit then you should be making disciples, and if you are making disciples you should be engaging with them, and if you are engaging with them together with a scriptural focus for edification and teaching and to give glory to God, then this is church. So what's the problem? If you are not a part of a gathering of believers it must mean you are a church planter and if it doesn't then you are ignoring the call of the Spirit and God's Word.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
because you have no answer doesn't mean there is no Christ's church, it exists with or without your intimate knowledge of it and it exists for a purpose as the embodiment of his kingdom to spread the knowledge of his glory as the waters cover the sea. Church as a collective body of Christ working together for his glory, his ekklesia or called out ones, not a building or a day/time of the week. Scripture affirms the former but not the latter, the latter is from Christian enculturation the former is biblically rooted.

The Spirit in you is still an abstract; a metaphysical element that you cannot physically observe. You, however, are not, you are the concrete endpoint of the spirit, as the spirit gives you new life and enables you, not some disembodied entity, to fulfill his will. But it's more than that, and to stop at the individual would be counter-spirit. The scripture as a book is a concrete, a physical "thing" you can observe, it is the embodiment of God's word, an abstract. It alone does nothing and is powerless unless someone reads it and follows it's teachings. However to say we are to do this alone would be counter-scripture and sincere obedience of scripture and the spirit should naturally seek a body of believers to join with who also have the Spirit in them and follow his word, and this is Christ's Church.

I don't know what your point or struggle is because you're too mysterious about it but if your struggle is the modern day church than seek a body of believers of like mind that you can engage with. If you can't find one then start one. The biblical model, if there is any at all, are in homes so if big box church offends you then find a house church or start one yourself.

It is odd to hear someone who abandons "church" for principled reasons because if you are following scripture and the Spirit then you should be making disciples, and if you are making disciples you should be engaging with them, and if you are engaging with them together with a scriptural focus for edification and teaching and to give glory to God, then this is church. So what's the problem? If you are not a part of a gathering of believers it must mean you are a church planter and if it doesn't then you are ignoring the call of the Spirit and God's Word.
Not everyone is an evangelist. I gather online often with believers. So whats the problem?

Upvote 0

DamianWarS

Follower of Isa Al Masih
Site Supporter
May 15, 2008
✟858,457.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Not everyone is an evangelist. I gather online often with believers. So whats the problem?
If you have the spirit in you, then you are a chosen royal priesthood of God and a power and call to spread his glory, you don't need to be an evangelist to do so. But you will have to take that up with the Spirit in you, he is the only one that can truly answer it.

My encouragement would be we are created as physical beings with senses that go beyond mere abstract thought, a gathering of believers has a physical touch, a physical sound, a physical smell, a physical taste and a physical sight because we are physical and are created to interact physically. Some of us may have physical impairments that obviously restrict this ability but if our experiences are confined to virtual then we deny our God-given senses the edification and stimuli that is inherent when people get together. God is endlessly creative and his church exists in many creative ways, no doubt even in virtual realms (second life has a pile of churches) but only do so to give God glory not out of convenience. Following Christ is as he says it is "let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Self is our image we reflect that matters to us and Christ tells to deny it to follow him. We need to be broken and ground down to power until there is nothing left but Christ and this results in endless deaths and resurrections with Christ within us.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If you have the spirit in you, then you are a chosen royal priesthood of God and a power and call to spread his glory, you don't need to be an evangelist to do so. But you will have to take that up with the Spirit in you, he is the only one that can truly answer it.

My encouragement would be we are created as physical beings with senses that go beyond mere abstract thought, a gathering of believers has a physical touch, a physical sound, a physical smell, a physical taste and a physical sight because we are physical and are created to interact physically. Some of us may have physical impairments that obviously restrict this ability but if our experiences are confined to virtual then we deny our God-given senses the edification and stimuli that is inherent when people get together. God is endlessly creative and his church exists in many creative ways, no doubt even in virtual realms (second life has a pile of churches) but only do so to give God glory not out of convenience. Following Christ is as he says it is "let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." Self is our image we reflect that matters to us and Christ tells to deny it to follow him. We need to be broken and ground down to power until there is nothing left but Christ and this results in endless deaths and resurrections with Christ within us.
Jesus is my shepherd, my refuge, my strength. I should let my light shine. That's my mission and prayer.

• Agree
Reactions: DamianWarS
Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That is a strange definition!

It seems sola scriptura clouds his logic.

At very least he must mean: ( if you accept the premise at all) " application of the word of God to every area of life"

The distinction is necessary, because the doctrine of the faith well preceded scripture. Analysing Jesus's words and apostolic teaching handed down ( and declaring many heresies) was taking place long before there was a New Testament, and the faith was handed by tradition. The earliest fathers writings are theology.

But I disagree with even that - I would replace it with " understanding the word of God"
The application is only a subset, albeit a very important one.
Much is written on the nature of God , and Jesus, that frames several heresy definitions, which is certainly theology, but not directly applicable.

What is theology?

My favorite definition is the one supplied by Dr. John Frame. He says that theology is the application of Scripture to every area of life.

Some Christians say that theology is irrelevant or only causes division and therefore should not be our focus. But that's because they have the wrong idea of what theology is all about. Theology is imminently relevant, practical, and should bring about good unity and good division (separating heresy from orthodoxy and separating light from darkness).

Who can deny the need to do this kind of theology?

Upvote 0