Jul 31, 2003
Michigan
✟237,116.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
SUMMARY:
What’s the connection between a dripping faucet, the Mandelbrot set, a population of rabbits, thermal convection in a fluid, and the firing of neurons in your brain? It’s this one simple formula: Xn+1=rXn(1-Xn). The logistic map connects all these and so much more!

Last edited:
Reactions: jamesbond007

Oaktree125

Aug 28, 2020
frederick
✟14,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
The presenter actually states the right idea- a deterministic computer generates it....This is important to Christianity because= Can - in the midst of this- a deterministic fractal actually also be expressed that does provide a viable structure and create predictable you-ness even to the number of hairs on your head, that you will exist, and all the other children of God, even prophecy despite complexity, selecting out a Chosen people, etc coming to be throughout history??? When you attach fractal driven behavior to the actual agency of the fields and particles of nature you get divine synchronicity inside of chaos right? It is not acausal it is emergent behavior when all interactions are ex frangere. I mean it is not merely a good model of what we see but the guide by which nature unfolds itself intrinsically. When nature unfolds certain creases and intersections are predictable even in very very very complex systems.
Does anyone here know if that is a correct assessment?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,525.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I can remember programming my Apple //e to make that graph in the still image and estimate the Feigenbaum number.
I recall many years ago generating the Mandelbrot set on an Amstrad computer running at the breathtaking speed of around 4 MHz.
It took days where as on a single core of a 16 x 3.6 GHz processor it now takes less than 3 minutes.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
... Can - in the midst of this- a deterministic fractal actually also be expressed that does provide a viable structure and create predictable you-ness...

... When nature unfolds certain creases and intersections are predictable even in very very very complex systems.
Does anyone here know if that is a correct assessment?
No, it's not correct. You may have missed that the characteristic feature of deterministic chaos is unpredictability.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
I recall many years ago generating the Mandelbrot set on an Amstrad computer running at the breathtaking speed of around 4 MHz.
It took days where as on a single core of a 16 x 3.6 GHz processor it now takes less than 3 minutes.
Ever used Fractint? It's still around... I remember chugging through Mandelbrot & Julia sets on my old IBM PC at work (I think it was a dual-floppy). Happy days ;)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Oaktree125

Aug 28, 2020
frederick
✟14,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
No, it's not correct. You may have missed that the characteristic feature of deterministic chaos is unpredictability.
I guess Im going to still be confused for awhile....

Chaos.
Professor James Yorke, an applied mathematician at the University of Maryland, is often credited with associating the word "chaos" with these particular mechanisms, in the late 1970s. While it has helped the field of nonlinear dynamics to have a simple, handy word like "chaos", the word itself is a bit of a misnomer. In fact, the word is downright confusing, if one interprets it in the nontechnical sense of common language--"lack of order". In fact, deterministic chaotic systems are quite ordered and even predictable on short time scales. In many ways modern dynamicists study deterministic chaotic systems to understand the interplay between order and "utter chaos". The goal is to find the hidden order in the apparent chaos.
And while I think I understand the 3rd/4th sentence in the way you mean :
Instead, through the rule's repeated application the long-term behavior becomes quite complicated. In this sense, the unpredictability "emerges" over time.

as a constructible of system elements and collective UMPFH!(effort) from each equals a fractal
but..
I think Im saying something inside that that determines certain future characteristics of a data set without defining the entirety...but I will pursue my education.
Thanks

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
I think Im saying something inside that that determines certain future characteristics of a data set without defining the entirety...
Not sure what you mean by that - mathematical determinism implies that the entire data set is defined.

Sensitive dependence on initial conditions means that very similar initial parameters define very different data sets - although they may follow the same attractor.

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Ever used Fractint? It's still around... I remember chugging through Mandelbrot & Julia sets on my old IBM PC at work (I think it was a dual-floppy). Happy days ;)
I'm not familiar with it.
I decided to write a program in Basic not only for the fun of it but to also familiarize myself with the bounded properties of the Mandelbrot set.
For example the number of iterations used to determine whether a point in the complex plane remains bounded or not varies from point to point.
By colour coding each point against the number of iterations a psychedelic version of the Mandelbrot set can be generated.
This is centered around (-0.761574, -0.0847596i) "zoomed" to around 10000X.

mand1.jpg

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
I'm not familiar with it.
I decided to write a program in Basic not only for the fun of it but to also familiarize myself with the bounded properties of the Mandelbrot set.
For example the number of iterations used to determine whether a point in the complex plane remains bounded or not varies from point to point.
By colour coding each point against the number of iterations a psychedelic version of the Mandelbrot set can be generated.
This was one of the features of Fractint - it allowed you to pick a colour range and could then cycle the colours over the various escape values so rainbows of various hues would sweep out from the cycloids and around the various curves. Like this:
Very psychedelic for the time!

This is the most amazing zoom I've seen so far:

Upvote 0

Oaktree125

Aug 28, 2020
frederick
✟14,186.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Not sure what you mean by that - mathematical determinism implies that the entire data set is defined.

Sensitive dependence on initial conditions means that very similar initial parameters define very different data sets - although they may follow the same attractor.
Well Im not entirely sure how to put my finger on it - Im scratching my head -perhaps the attractor is the thing drawing my attention as the recurring factor that should be divisible. I think I need to understand that first. Thanks

My thinking is more to the line that the observables relate to the invariant distances between fractal features and akin to a fixed lattice. Change can happen but i.e there will be something that happens here at x point which is a continuation of some underpinned reccurence. The proponents of the event can be from different areas each iteration and not subject to ray tracing a specific causal chain, but ultimately the collective behavior trace out the same end shape. It could be the carrier reason for scale invariance and conservation.
Scripturally i would add: Ecc 1:9 What has been will be again, and what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun.
And ultimately trying to understand how that works with different employees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This was one of the features of Fractint - it allowed you to pick a colour range and could then cycle the colours over the various escape values so rainbows of various hues would sweep out from the cycloids and around the various curves. Like this:

Quite a remarkable video although I didn't sit through the 1hr+ presentation.
Is there any information on the maximum zoom factor?

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,854.00
Faith
Atheist
Quite a remarkable video although I didn't sit through the 1hr+ presentation.
Is there any information on the maximum zoom factor?
The numbers in the description are: Zoom: 3.4e¹⁰⁹¹, Iterations: Almost 17 million. It took over a week to render.

• Informative
Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private

Reminds me of the Hubble Ultra Deep field ..

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,840.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
One of the advantages of writing your own programs is being able to generate Multibrot sets which are iterations of the function f(z) = zⁿ + c where z and c are complex numbers and n > 2.
For n=2 is the familiar Mandelbrot set.

mand_norm.jpg

For n =3 is a symmetrical Multibrot set.

non_Mandelbrot.jpg

Upvote 0