this image

indianx

Veteran
May 30, 2005
✟9,418.00
Faith
Hindu
If I may engage in some idle speculation, let us note that the blasphemous work from the OP was most likely composed by a Hindu. There are certain groups in Hinduism which feel that Christianity is a "white man's spirituality." To that effect, it's possible that they portray the Lord as Caucasian in order to reinforce this belief. Again, just speculation on my part.

Why would you say a thing like that? Please tell me what these certain groups are. Jesus is not mentioned once in our scriptures, why in the world would we spend our time doodling things such as these from a spiritual standpoint? Perhaps you've become so accustomed to seeing Christians deride and disparage other religions in these ways that you think Hindus partake in similar efforts. But that would be idle speculation on my part.

But, Fatherjay, please tell us the source of this picture, atleast to clear up these tinfoil theories.

OM from a Dharmic standpoint:

12 The wise man who, by means of concentration on the Self, realises that ancient, effulgent One, who is hard to be seen, unmanifest, hidden and who dwells in the buddhi and rests in the body—he, indeed, leaves joy and sorrow far behind.
13 The mortal who has heard this and comprehended it well, who has separated that Atman, the very soul of dharma, from all
physical objects and has realised the subtle essence, rejoices because he has obtained that which is the cause of rejoicing. The Abode of Brahman, I believe, is open for Nachiketa.

14 Nachiketa said: That which you see as other than righteousness and unrighteousness, other than all this cause and effect, other than what has been and what is to be—tell me That.
15 Yama said: The goal which all the Vedas declare, which all austerities aim at and which men desire when they lead the life of continence, I will tell you briefly: it is Om.

16 This syllable Om is indeed Brahman. This syllable is the Highest. Whosoever knows this syllable obtains all that he desires.
17 This is the best support; this is the highest support. Whosoever knows this support is adored in the world of Brahma.

18 The knowing Self is not born; It does not die. It has not sprung from anything; nothing has sprung from It. Birthless, eternal, everlasting and ancient, It is not killed when the body is killed.
19 If the killer thinks he kills and if the killed man thinks he is killed, neither of these apprehends aright. The Self kills not, nor is It killed.
20 Atman, smaller than the small, greater than the great, is hidden in the hearts of all living creatures. A man who is free from desires beholds the majesty of the Self through tranquillity of the senses and the mind and becomes free from grief.

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
indianx said:
Why would you say a thing like that? Please tell me what these certain groups are.

How about Rastriya Swayangsevak Sangh?

Belladonic-haze said:
So? Is that Blasphemous? Because of the Om sign?

Really!!!!:doh:

OM, like Amen and Ahmeen means the Divine which manifests as all that is. OM is the "word" as in; "in the beginning was the word" which means primal sound or vibration from which all other names and forms arise and to which we all return.

Amen doesn't refer to the divine that manifests itself in everyone. The word is simply an affirmation.

Belladonic-haze said:
Shanti is the Sankrit word for peace.

But the use of the word shanti isn't at issue here. The issue is the om. It is the Hindu sacred syllable, and therefore has no place in Christianity.

Upvote 0

*Starlight*

Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time
Jan 19, 2005
Right in front of you *waves*
Visit site
✟133,073.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
RichardT said:
wth is this....
[/size][/color][/font]
It's a quote from a book. A very interesting book. :) And "the Goddess" isn't used there to describe any literal being, it's just a symbol. :)

Upvote 0

Proud Hindu

Veteran
Feb 10, 2004
✟1,394.00
Faith
Hindu
belladonic-haze said:
So? Is that Blasphemous? Because of the Om sign?

Really!!!!:doh:

OM, like Amen and Ahmeen means the Divine which manifests as all that is. OM is the "word" as in; "in the beginning was the word" which means primal sound or vibration from which all other names and forms arise and to which we all return. OM is the Alpha and the Omega. Om is a sound, not a word per say. http://users.bestweb.net/~om/yoga/Sound%20of%20OM.wav

Repetition of OM or AUM dissolves the mind in it's Divine Source. If you chant OM several times out loud it purifies the atmosphere.

"Om, Shanti, Shanti, Shanti, Peace for all."

Awesome post :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

RichardT

Contributor
Sep 17, 2005
Toronto Ontario
✟23,099.00
Faith
Pantheist
Marital Status
Single
Proud Hindu said:
Awesome post :thumbsup:
Repetition of OM or AUM dissolves the mind in it's Divine Source. If you chant OM several times out loud it purifies the atmosphere.

"Om, Shanti, Shanti, Shanti, Peace for all."

wow, just wow....

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Abbadon

Self Bias Resistor - goin' commando in a cassock!
Jan 26, 2005
Bible belt, unfortunatly
✟22,912.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Symbols don't mean anything, it's the context they're in. Why not ask FatherJay the context he meant it in, or ask him to explain here.

(I expect that there may be need of translation issues, which even with the same language is necessary when dealing with symbolism and theology and philosophy).

Arumna said:
The misportrayal of Biblical figures as Caucasians is diminishing these days. Check out this icon of Saint Paul the Apostle that I found online.

Thank goodness. I hope it reaches the Bible Belt eventually. I'm tired of seeing Jesus Cracker worshipped in place of Jesus Christ.

Arumna said:
let us note that the blasphemous work from the OP was most likely composed by a Hindu.

Richard found it from a fellow that siad he's Universal Gnostic.

Arumna said:
There are certain groups in Hinduism which feel that Christianity is a "white man's spirituality." To that effect, it's possible that they portray the Lord as Caucasian in order to reinforce this belief.

However, were that the case, they'd be depicting Hinduism as a white man's spirituality in this case, wouldn't they?

Upvote 0

arunma

Flaming Calvinist
Apr 29, 2004
✟19,415.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Abbadon said:
However, were that the case, they'd be depicting Hinduism as a white man's spirituality in this case, wouldn't they?

On the contrary, they are claiming that the Founder of the church is white. The presence of the om reinforces the belief among some Hindus (most likely the fundamentalists) that all people worshiped according to Vedic religion at one point in history.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
arunma said:
The misportrayal of Biblical figures as Caucasians is diminishing these days. Check out this icon of Saint Paul the Apostle that I found online.

nmpaux.jpg

Here the Apostle is properly portrayed as a Hebraic Jew.

If I may engage in some idle speculation, let us note that the blasphemous work from the OP was most likely composed by a Hindu. There are certain groups in Hinduism which feel that Christianity is a "white man's spirituality." To that effect, it's possible that they portray the Lord as Caucasian in order to reinforce this belief. Again, just speculation on my part.

I go to a church called St. Paul's Greek Orthodox Church, and of course we have many icons of him. This you showed is kind of... "different" ... You know iconography is a sacred business not an ordinary job. I have two links for you to go through... Holy Icons are discussed. As long as I know that iconography is being abused, I would be skeptic of some icons...

http://www.christianforums.com/t3273255-is-this-offensive.html

http://www.christianforums.com/t3224335-couldnt-resist.html

I am a bit skeptic about that online store, too.

This is from Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America.

petros.jpg

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's a picture of Jesus

What? Who says that is a picture of Jesus? Who has seen the Lord to detail a picture like that? Including the artist himself? It is a white man with a light skin with black hair! He doesn't look middle eastern to me at all. Even Jim Caviezel was a better middle-eastern than this cartoon here.

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
it's a symbol of a sort of spiritual unity, which transcends the division between religions, such as Christianity and Hinduism...

If you chant OM several times out loud it purifies the atmosphere.

What the hey ever to both of you! Purify the atmosphere! Yea right.

Look my dearest Richard, listen up, like I said many times, it doesn't mean anything when you stick that "Cross" next your username. It is the thoughts and knowledge that speak for themselves. Christianity is lived by following the footsteps of those men who taught us what it was like. They taught us about Christ. I am talking about the Apostles, the very men who walked the earth with Christ. They passed down to us only but only what Christ taught. No integration of other blasphemous religions into Christ's Truth, there is a clear distinction between Christianity as a religion and blasphemous teachings, there is no OM, MOM whatsoever and OM is NOT the Alpha and the Omega... Don't let these people confuse you, you are on the right track with your observation I can tell. Keep holding on to your faith, keep it pure from the liberal attacks like these. Unfortunately you are just witnessing the by products of reformation in a politically correct world, as whatever they interpret from the Bible is their understanding and it must be true. Everyone has the right to interpret the Scriptures, so you will see many pictures like the one above, many OM arguments, or all religions are the same universalism nonsense. Turn your face away from confusion, it is devil's work. Christ is the head of the true Church, turn to Him and His church, not falsehood.

Upvote 0

kiwimac

Bishop of the See of Aotearoa ROCCNZ;Theologian
Site Supporter
May 14, 2002
New Zealand
Visit site
✟593,118.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Bushmaster,

I like the St. paul Icon a great deal. I am sorry that the Orthodox church believes that protestants doing iconography is somehow wrong.

Kiwimac

Upvote 0

HumbleSiPilot77

Senior Contributor
Jan 4, 2003
Arizona
✟12,775.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
kiwimac said:
Bushmaster,

I like the St. paul Icon a great deal. I am sorry that the Orthodox church believes that protestants doing iconography is somehow wrong.

Kiwimac

That is perfectly fine if you like it. But I must be wary. Protestants doing iconography is a bit oxymoron in my opinion, but I am not an iconographer, nor I can solely speak for the Holy Church. Writing Holy Icons is a serious, and a sacred act, not everyone can do it nor should do it. We have an iconographer on The Ancient Way forums, I can arrange a meeting if you want. Orthodox would be very strict about icons. They are not ordinary pictures.

Upvote 0