TN
✟8,156.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
After years of being put on the backburner I just can't take it anymore. My wife puts everyone and everything before me. Kids, family, friends, volunteering help for my sons band competitions, volunteering to work concessions for basketball/football games even though our children don't play. She also attends every event our church has like women's night or things that aren't Sunday/ Weds services. She invests her time in everyone but me and it hurts. I have brought it up many times but she angers easily or says I overreact. I'm always the one who initiates hugs, kisses, holding hands which we never do anymore because I'm tired of her selfishness. [Staff Edit] I'm lonely, depressed and hate my life aside from the joy my children give me. I believe in marriage but this is just too much. Does God want me to be this miserable and lonely? I just don't know what to do!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
After years of being put on the backburner I just can't take it anymore. My wife puts everyone and everything before me. Kids, family, friends, volunteering help for my sons band competitions, volunteering to work concessions for basketball/football games even though our children don't play. She also attends every event our church has like women's night or things that aren't Sunday/ Weds services. She invests her time in everyone but me and it hurts. I have brought it up many times but she angers easily or says I overreact. I'm always the one who initiates hugs, kisses, holding hands which we never do anymore because I'm tired of her selfishness. [Staff Edit] I'm lonely, depressed and hate my life aside from the joy my children give me. I believe in marriage but this is just too much. Does God want me to be this miserable and lonely? I just don't know what to do!!!
I would like to ask a question...I do NOT expect you to answer it here, just something to think about.

You accuse your wife of being selfish, isn't ending the marriage over this an act of selfishness? IOW's how selfish is it to end a marriage because YOUR "needs" and "wants" are not being met? Just some food for thought....maybe example is a better way.

Upvote 0

tampasteve

Pray for peace in Israel
Christian Forums Staff
Administrator
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
May 15, 2017
Tampa
✟777,861.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I would highly recommend a good Christian Marriage and Family counselor. Having an outside opinion and open conversation can work wonders for a marriage and discussions. Having a professional's opinion makes it less about my opinion vs your opinion and more about a solution that we can work together on. She probably will resist going, but make an appointment, tell her you expect her to be there and if she does not go you will still be going. Even if she does not go a good counselor can give you sound advice on how to proceed.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I would like to ask a question...I do NOT expect you to answer it here, just something to think about.

You accuse your wife of being selfish, isn't ending the marriage over this an act of selfishness? IOW's how selfish is it to end a marriage because YOUR "needs" and "wants" are not being met? Just some food for thought....maybe example is a better way.
Well, exactly.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Hi. Not a Christian so you may not want to hear from me but staying in a loveless marriage helps no one and risks your kids learning that marriage is about being unhappy for years.

• Agree
Reactions: Par5
Upvote 0

EastCoastRemnant

I Must Decrease That He May Increase
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2010
Nova Scotia
✟188,109.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Hi. Not a Christian so you may not want to hear from me but staying in a loveless marriage helps no one and risks your kids learning that marriage is about being unhappy for years.
You're right, not helpful to a Christian... when we make a covenant, we are expected to keep it. The world is only interested in self...

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,167.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling this way, soosh8005. I can relate with some of this on a smaller scale. However, just be careful with the other idea that floats out there: the idea that it'd be greener on the other side of the fence. The truth is, finding another woman won't necessarily bring you the 'joy' you're hoping for. There are always strings attached (i.e. she may have her own major problems), AND if you were to find someone else, you'd wreck much of what you have now.

Is your wife willing to go with you to some solid Christian Counseling? I ask because it sounds like BOTH of you have some luggage that needs to be unpacked.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

What you invest your time in is what matters. You can't change her
but you can change you. Life will never be as good as you'd like it
to be. But you can improve the lives of your wife and kids. Keep
busy and maybe she will want to catch up with you. Waiting for
her is not the answer.

• Agree
Reactions: KLadySaved
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married

My wife started getting busy in her own interests as well, where she was always busy. The alternative was where she's moping around the house claiming she's bored all day with nothing to do (and it's all my fault). I started joining in on some of her interests so she knows I support her desires and individuality, but I also have interests of my own that isn't necessarily her style. So we have 'her' things, 'my' things, and 'our' things to do.

[Staff Edit]

Upvote 0

Par5

Nov 5, 2017
LONDONDERRY
✟69,175.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're right, not helpful to a Christian... when we make a covenant, we are expected to keep it. The world is only interested in self...
That is such a self-righteous attitude. I am a believer in marriage, I have been married for 48 years, but my marriage is a happy one, his marriage is not. As Larnievc has said, staying in a loveless marriage helps no one. If counselling doesn't help, then it may just be best if he moves on.
Mutual respect is vital in a marriage. If that goes, then it is a marriage in name only.

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
After years of being put on the backburner I just can't take it anymore. My wife puts everyone and everything before me. Kids, family, friends, volunteering help for my sons band competitions, volunteering to work concessions for basketball/football games even though our children don't play. She also attends every event our church has like women's night or things that aren't Sunday/ Weds services. She invests her time in everyone but me and it hurts...I just don't know what to do!!!

I don't know what the answer is. As I read the other answers that have been given, it looks like the members here don't know either. But some of the replies are better than others, so I hope that some of them will be worth your while to pursue. Clearly, you have come to the point of needing to do something different.

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟722,049.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

ok ... this is your "take" on the relationship .... what does she say?

Upvote 0

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I sense your frustration, but I’d need more info before I can give any feedback. How long have you been married? How many kids? Ages? How long has this pattern gone on? What does she say about it? What have you two discussed? Have you already picked out her replacement?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Tropical Wilds

Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Oct 2, 2009
New England
✟195,052.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My wife started getting busy in her own interests as well, where she was always busy. The alternative was where she's moping around the house claiming she's bored all day with nothing to do (and it's all my fault).

Um... wow. Yeah. No idea where to even begin with this attitude.

I started joining in on some of her interests so she knows I support her desires and individuality, but I also have interests of my own that isn't necessarily her style. So we have 'her' things, 'my' things, and 'our' things to do.

This is actually a kernel of good advice.

[Staff Edit]

• Agree
Reactions: Angeldove97
Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Almost there

Oct 24, 2017
Kentucky
✟44,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I had this same problem a couple of decades ago. I did a lot of reading and going to counseling and I changed. I basically "manned up".

1. It really helped me at work and with other relationships. It also fixed that problem: She divorced me.

And two months after I was kicked out I went to my 25 year high school reunion, where I re-met someone I had known, but never dated. Within 14 months I was remarried - to the woman of my dreams with whom I've been in absolute marital bliss for just under 20 years.

Prayerfully do what's right and let the chips fall where they may. :)

Upvote 0

SeventyOne

May 2, 2015
✟167,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvary Chapel
Marital Status
Married
The dismissive, passive aggressive “my annoying wife and her dumb problems” attitude.

Those were actually exact words from my wife during our conversations about such things. Try to stick to judging people and things you know something about.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.