Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I'm thinking about doing a 24 hour fast. I have a friend who's gotta go through something (rather not get into details) on the 8th of this month and I've been thinking about having a day of fasting and praying.
It'll be my first time fasting, and Baptists don't fast very often (Usually the only fast we know is between the time we fall asleep and get to the kitchen in the morning) so any advice for a first time, short fast would be appreciated.

M6L24M86

Mar 2, 2005
Southern California
✟7,658.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I actually just did my first fast (one day) this past Monday and let me tell you.... I have had a breakthrough on the scale that I have never DREAMED of before. Praise God! I have been blessed tremendously over the past few days!

Every time that I was feeling like I really wanted to eat... I would just delve myself more into the word and continue to pray and focus my attention on God. I just completely depended on him throughout the day.... praying silently through my everyday tasks as well as thanking God continually for the things he has already given me and blessed me with. I did mine on water alone... but I have read people that do juice. That might be good if you feel like you might become too weak or faint.

I'm praying that your fast goes well!

Reactions: Forest
Upvote 0

synger

Confessional Liturgical Lutheran
Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A one-day strict (water only) fast is probably more do-able than you've ever imagined. If you are used to drinking caffeine, you may get a headache. You'll get hungry, and probably irritable. That's normal. You may get light-headed, but that often doesn't bother people on a one-day fast. Personally, I still drink hot drinks (coffee, tea) when I fast. As the other poster mentioned, juices can work, too, if you don't think you're ready for no-calorie fasting.

As to what to do, fasting is just dieting if it is not accompanied by prayer and study. It is a discipline, a tool God has given us to remind us of our creature-hood and to turn to Him for our sustenance. Feast upon His word, and come to Him in prayer throughout the day. I tend to use my hunger pangs, and the upsurge in irritability, as signals to prayer.

Upvote 0

LazeyWinde

Blue Girl in a Spacey Haze
Nov 17, 2006
Connecticut
Visit site
✟16,127.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Ok, I decided on a one day, 24 hour, juice and water fast. Prepared myself and now here I go... I'm about 7 hours into it, I keep thinking about the ice cream in the freezer which is a definate no so I think I'm gonna pray some more and stay away from the freezer.

Upvote 0

synger

Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My prayers are with you today, sister. May the good Lord fill you up with His word and will, and may you feast upon Him.

For me, those urgings to eat are SO hard sometimes. I've found that by memorizing and reading Scriptures specifically dealing with how God's Word feeds and nourishes us, I can focus on God's meat and not on the ice cream in the freezer (or for me, the brie in the fridge, which is more tempting than sweets).

Isaiah 55
1 "Come, all you who are thirsty,
come to the waters;
and you who have no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without cost.

Isaiah 55:2

2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

Amos 8:11-13

11 "The days are coming," declares the Sovereign LORD,
"when I will send a famine through the land—
not a famine of food or a thirst for water,
but a famine of hearing the words of the LORD.

12 Men will stagger from sea to sea
and wander from north to east,
searching for the word of the LORD,
but they will not find it.

13 "In that day
"the lovely young women and strong young men
will faint because of thirst.

Matthew 5:6

6Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.

Luke 6:21

21Blessed are you who hunger now,
for you will be satisfied.
Blessed are you who weep now,
for you will laugh.

Psalm 34:8

8 Taste and see that the LORD is good;
blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.

Upvote 0

synger

Site Supporter
Sep 12, 2006
✟44,856.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
*hugs* I thank God that you followed your conviction and gave it a try. I think sometimes we're so afraid to be hungry that we scare ourselves out of it. As you've found, it's really not that big a deal to go a day without food. May you be richly blessed by the practice of this discipline.

Upvote 0