WI
✟80,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Fasting in OT times was just a removal of solid food from your diet. When Jesus did His long term fast, what does the text say? "He hungered." So the fast that Jesus did was just a normal non-food fast, not a divine fast from food and water.

Trying to fast from items or activities is not really described in the word. I guess you can do it, but I don't think it would have much significance if there is not a precedent in the past.
Wow. That is interesting stuff. A lot of Catholics nowadays fast from certain types of foods, meat, or television, news, social media, and have said that they have become more involved in prayer or felt better when avoiding the news or television. :)

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
Wow. That is interesting stuff. A lot of Catholics nowadays fast from certain types of foods, meat, or television, news, social media, and have said that they have become more involved in prayer or felt better when avoiding the news or television. :)
Well you can do it, it's not like it will hurt you somehow, I'm only pointing out that it doesn't really have a precedent in the word about it. I don't think you would receive some sort of spiritual blessing for doing it.

There are different fasts a person can do that are not really biblical, such as an intermittent fast where you only eat 1 mean a day at a specific time repeatedly. I've done it and lost quite a bit of weight in the process.

Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟80,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well you can do it, it's not like it will hurt you somehow, I'm only pointing out that it doesn't really have a precedent in the word about it. I don't think you would receive some sort of spiritual blessing for doing it.

There are different fasts a person can do that are not really biblical, such as an intermittent fast where you only eat 1 mean a day at a specific time repeatedly. I've done it and lost quite a bit of weight in the process.
I understand. Also, in the Bible, technology like TV and near instantaneous news didn't exist though. But, I understand there is a different between biblical fasting and what people do for Lent in the 21st century. However, both biblical or modern fasting from digital technology have benefits which can help us become closer to God.

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I understand. Also, in the Bible, technology like TV and near instantaneous news didn't exist though. But, I understand there is a different between biblical fasting and what people do for Lent in the 21st century. However, both biblical or modern fasting from digital technology have benefits which can help us become closer to God.
I would say the more modern type fasting has benefits for our bodies. The more bible centered fast, as what Jesus did, would be the one that brings you closer to GOD spiritually. We are Christians, so we need to understand what pleases GOD and what doesn't, and I think the more careful we are to His word on things, the more He blesses us.

• Informative
Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible says "when you fast..." not "if you fast..." Matt 6:16

So it is not as if you are not called to fast but Jesus gives instructions on how to.
We are called to fast. Without drawing attention to your suffering.
You would be amazed how focused you can get if you do a Bible centered fast.
You are correct.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟80,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would say the more modern type fasting has benefits for our bodies. The more bible centered fast, as what Jesus did, would be the one that brings you closer to GOD spiritually. We are Christians, so we need to understand what pleases GOD and what doesn't, and I think the more careful we are to His word on things, the more He blesses us.
That is also true. I feel that both types of fasting can benefit us spiritually, though the biblical type is more effective.

Upvote 0

ARBITER01

Legend
Aug 12, 2007
✟164,477.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
That is also true. I feel that both types of fasting can benefit us spiritually, though the biblical type is more effective.
Well anytime we are doing things to sort of purge our body of waste and such, it is better. To climb up closer to GOD spiritually though takes more than just fasting. You'll find that worship brings you the closest.

• Agree
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟80,653.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well anytime we are doing things to sort of purge our body of waste and such, it is better. To climb up closer to GOD spiritually though takes more than just fasting. You'll find that worship brings you the closest.
Agreed 100% Worship is the most effective of all

Reactions: ARBITER01
Upvote 0