Things you try to avoid in your art/writing.

MacFall

Agorist
Nov 24, 2007
Western Pennsylvania, USA
✟25,688.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I know what you mean.

I write, and when I read Twilight I was mad. Edward isn't the perfect guy; he's a creepy, abusive stalker. If it was portrayed realistically, Edward would have killed Bella when she tried to run. And Bella's stupidity and extreme clumsiness would have been a result of serious brain damage.

AND SOMEONE WOULD HAVE CALLED JACOB OUT FOR BEING A DISGUSTING PEDOPHILE. :mad:

So my response was to write my own vampire novel, in which two vampires had a Bella/Edward dynamic... only the "Bella" is at least intelligent, and realizes that the werewolf pining for her is actually a better person, not to mention a much better boyfriend.

haha, brilliant.

Along those lines, I hope to publish the short story of a friend of mine on my website where people hunt and kill sparkly vampires. And multicolored glitter explodes out of their chests when they die.

Speaking of my website, here is a list of what I try to avoid in my writing. I'm going to add a link to TV Tropes' "Bad Writing" page as well.

Upvote 0

poeticlurker

exactly what it says on the tin
Sep 21, 2010
✟15,600.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
haha, brilliant.

Along those lines, I hope to publish the short story of a friend of mine on my website where people hunt and kill sparkly vampires. And multicolored glitter explodes out of their chests when they die.

Speaking of my website, here is a list of what I try to avoid in my writing. I'm going to add a link to TV Tropes' "Bad Writing" page as well.
That list sounds so strict, but generally that's what I try to avoid too. I only use sex, violence, cursing, etc. if it's important to the story. I never swear in the narration, unless a character is narrating. Only my characters are allowed to swear and only if their personalities permit it. Constant swearing, sex, violence, political commentary can lose a lot of readers.

Upvote 0

Im_A

Legend
May 10, 2004
✟35,359.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
In Relationship
It's time to list things you avoid in your art/writing.

Would be interesting to hear what other people don't like and try to avoid in their work.
Writing-I avoid sharing it. Most of it I do for myself, so its a moment type of thing. I will share some, but anymore, I'll write and then delete it because it was more of a way for me to get over it, instead of something to write about.

Music-Anything that doesn't express how I feel well and doesn't express me naturally. That's why I look forward to getting into playing heavy metal. I feel like right now I only express my yin and yang self half way currently.

Upvote 0
E

Edwards1984

It's time to list things you avoid in your art/writing.

Would be interesting to hear what other people don't like and try to avoid in their work.

One thing I try to avoid is being self-serving. That is, it serves no one else but me, or I turn my medium into a soap box. I don't like it when other artists do that, so I try to avoid it myself. One of my favorite quotes in this regard was from when Akira Kurosawa was asked if his film Ran was a statement to Reagan and Gorbachev, to which he replied, "If I wanted to make a statement, I'd write a letter." I try to remember this when I do something that could easily just become a "statement" in art form.

Upvote 0

Fremdin

Contributor
Jan 26, 2008
✟17,104.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I try and avoid heavy handed emotion. I find that overly emotional work is tacky and almost insulting to the viewer. If you can't get across emotion with bashing someone in the head with it than your work will look amateur. I also find work that tries too hard to have a deeper meaning to be boring. Art is more about the experiencer than the creator and when the artist tries to manipulate the viewer too much it ruins the work and insults the audience. For example I had shown a piece of mine to traingosorry and the impression she got from it was freedom and joy while I had believe that the piece was melancholy and haunting. so she was able to look at my work without my influence and found that it had a meaning for her. If I had manipulated the work to convey only what I saw it would have ruined her experience with it and because of how she viewed it I gained a fresh perspective.

Upvote 0