The order of revelation; Tradition comes first, later comes inspiration and the making of scripture.

Xeno.of.athens

I will give you the keys of the Kingdom of heaven.
May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Saint Luke Gospel is an excellent example of the process. He writes:
Dear Theophilus: Many people have done their best to write a report of the things that have taken place among us. They wrote what we have been told by those who saw these things from the beginning and who proclaimed the message. And so, Your Excellency, because I have carefully studied all these matters from their beginning, I thought it would be good to write an orderly account for you. I do this so that you will know the full truth about everything which you have been taught.​
Luke 1:1-4 GNB

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟278,469.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Dear Theophilus: Many people have done their best to write a report of the things that have taken place among us. They wrote what we have been told by those who saw these things from the beginning and who proclaimed the message. And so, Your Excellency, because I have carefully studied all these matters from their beginning, I thought it would be good to write an orderly account for you. I do this so that you will know the full truth about everything which you have been taught.​
How does that establish the order of revelation?

Matthew, John and Peter composed the God-breathed (2 Tim 3:16) texts of
what they saw--his glory (Mt 17:2, Jn 1:14, Jn 2:11, Jn 19:35, Jn 21:24, 1 Jn 1:1-2, 1 Pe 5:1, 2 Pe 1:16-18).
So that's not tradition, that's eye-witness testimony (Jn 19:35).

And Luke wrote what he was told by eye-witnesses (Lk1:1-2, 2:9, 9:28-32) as Heb (2:3) is what he was told by those who heard Jesus.
That's more eye-witness testimony.

Then the recognition of these writings by the early Christians as God-breathed is by the testimony of the Holy Spirit to their spirits, not by tradition.

Finally, to read the writings that didn't make the cut is to see the real difference between them, and to agree..

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
That's certainly the order for St Luke..

Upvote 0

FenderTL5

Κύριε, ἐλέησον.
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2016
Nashville TN
✟634,456.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
And for Matthew, John and Peter?
for Matthew and John it could be the same. All four Gospels were written later, so the stories were circulating orally first. The Church was already established.
Epistles could have been different. I haven't given it much thought or study. However, Luke flat out says it, in scripture nonetheless.

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
for Matthew and John it could be the same. All four Gospels were written later, so the stories were circulating orally first. The Church was already established.
Epistles could have been different. I haven't given it much thought or study. However, Luke flat out says it, in scripture nonetheless.
Saint Paul's letters seem to be reiterations of the verbal instructions he gave to the churches, and as saint Paul said, he wanted the churches to hold on to the traditions he had passed on to them.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I say there's irony in depending upon scripture to establish tradition. Also what gets overlooked in this passage and 2 Thess 2:15 which is used in the same manner, is specifically referring to tradition established by the Apostles. This is repeated in 2 Thess 3:6.

But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. 2 Thessalonians 3:6

Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I say there's irony in depending upon scripture to establish tradition. Also what gets overlooked in this passage and 2 Thess 2:15 which is used in the same manner, is specifically referring to tradition established by the Apostles. This is repeated in 2 Thess 3:6.

But we command you, brethren, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you withdraw from every brother who walks disorderly and not according to the tradition which he received from us. 2 Thessalonians 3:6
If one discounts any irony that is perceived and sticks to what is taught by saint Luke and saint Paul then Apostolic Tradition will be the superset of revelation of which holy scripture will be a proper subset.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If one discounts any irony that is perceived and sticks to what is taught by saint Luke and saint Paul then Apostolic Tradition will be the superset of revelation of which holy scripture will be a proper subset.
According to Luke 1:1-4 the full truth is found in what the Apostles wrote down. In other words, Luke is saying the FULL TRUTH of Christianity is contained within NT scripture. Not tradition, scripture.

It seems you even underlined that without realizing what Luke is saying.

I thought it would be good to write an orderly account for you. I do this so that you will know the full truth.

Luke is obviously saying what's written by him is superior to anything else.

And Luke is saying the FULL TRUTH is in the writing. Not most of the truth with the rest to be revealed in some other way and or at some other time.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Luke is saying the FULL TRUTH of Christianity is contained within NT scripture
That is not so.

"I do this so that you will know the full truth about everything which you have been taught."
is a statement about the truth taught to Theophilus; so, unless you want to contend that saint Luke sees Theophilus as an exhaustive cyclopaedia of Christian truth then it follows that saint Luke aimed to write down what he knew Theophilus had been taught. That implies a limit that your claim denies.​
It seems you even underlined that without realizing what Luke is saying.
Well, what I underlined is this:
I do this so that you will know the full truth about everything which you have been taught.​
Luke is obviously saying what's written by him is superior to anything else.
That is not obvious, it is not even implied.

And Luke is saying the FULL TRUTH is in the writing.
Nope, saint Luke writes that he is reiterating the full truth about what Theophilus was taught.

Not most of the truth with the rest to be revealed in some other way and or at some other time.
Yep, it is implying that saint Luke or some other person will teach more to Theophilus later. We need not look too far to see the "more". It is present in the book called "The Acts of the Apostles"
Dear Theophilus: In my first book I wrote about all the things that Jesus did and taught from the time he began his work until the day he was taken up to heaven. Before he was taken up, he gave instructions by the power of the Holy Spirit to the men he had chosen as his apostles.
Acts 1:1-2 GNB

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Of course, it's all ...about the Son!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,134,740.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Personally, I think it might make better sense to everyone if we simply cite Luke (and Acts) as an example of early Christian Historiography. We don't have to make more out of it than it is in order for it to have historical, even revelatory clout within a person's mind and heart.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is not so.

"I do this so that you will know the full truth about everything which you have been taught."
is a statement about the truth taught to Theophilus; so, unless you want to contend that saint Luke sees Theophilus as an exhaustive cyclopaedia of Christian truth then it follows that saint Luke aimed to write down what he knew Theophilus had been taught. That implies a limit that your claim denies.​

Well, what I underlined is this:
I do this so that you will know the full truth about everything which you have been taught.​

That is not obvious, it is not even implied.

Nope, saint Luke writes that he is reiterating the full truth about what Theophilus was taught.

Yep, it is implying that saint Luke or some other person will teach more to Theophilus later. We need not look too far to see the "more". It is present in the book called "The Acts of the Apostles"
Dear Theophilus: In my first book I wrote about all the things that Jesus did and taught from the time he began his work until the day he was taken up to heaven. Before he was taken up, he gave instructions by the power of the Holy Spirit to the men he had chosen as his apostles.
Acts 1:1-2 GNB
So Luke verifies that everything Jesus taught was written down in the Gospel and anything further to that has been written down by the Apostles. Not by St. Whoever in 495 AD. But by Jesus' Apostles. This just further confirms that everything we need to know, the full truth, is contained in the writings of the Apostles. The verses you've been providing are really good proof texts for sola scriptura.

Reactions: Semper-Fi
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟430,024.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I don't know that this is so revolutionary or disruptive an idea...things have to happen first before you can write about them having happened, right? So that prejudices the order of things rather naturally. I'm going to guess that if people are against this idea it's probably due to centuries of insinuations (by this point) by various academics in Europe and elsewhere working in what has been dubbed 'Higher Textual Criticism' which is also concerned with things like the order of the composition of the Bible, but as part of an 'enlightenment'-sort of project to treat the Bible as anyone would any secular piece of writing, when obviously for believers that's just not what it is. (Not even for those of us who recognize that it has a history, and did not fall out of the sky one day with 66 or however many books, a table of contents, and some handy maps and introductory materials like many Bibles have nowadays.)

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: FenderTL5
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
So Luke verifies that everything Jesus taught was written down in the Gospel and anything further to that has been written down by the Apostles.
At least you can see that the gospel according to saint Luke is not exhaustive of Christian teaching.
Not by St. Whoever in 495 AD. But by Jesus' Apostles.
History plays out in time, eventually truths passed on in Apostolic Tradition become foundational in the fight against heresy; such was the case with Arianism.
This just further confirms that everything we need to know, the full truth, is contained in the writings of the Apostles.
That is not correct.
The verses you've been providing are really good proof texts for sola scriptura.
They are far better proofs that without Apostolic Tradition the holy scriptures cannot guard against some kind of heresy.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
At least you can see that the gospel according to saint Luke is not exhaustive of Christian teaching.
Luke clearly said the gospel is exhaustive of what Jesus taught. Remember Paul said:

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach a gospel to you besides that which we have preached to you, let him be anathema. 9 As we said before, so now I say again: If any one preach to you a gospel, besides that which you have received, let him be anathema. Galatians 1:8-9

And Paul referred to his writings as being Gospel in Romans 2:16 and 16:25
History plays out in time, eventually truths passed on in Apostolic Tradition become foundational in the fight against heresy; such was the case with Arianism.
That was already established in the writings of the Apostles. In other words NT scripture alone can be used to disprove Arianism.
That is not correct.
Saying something is incorrect without explaining why comes off as denial.
They are far better proofs that without Apostolic Tradition the holy scriptures cannot guard against some kind of heresy
Apostolic tradition is based on and rooted in what they wrote down. I seriously doubt you can cite one tradition that's not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Luke clearly said the gospel is exhaustive of what Jesus taught.
Clearly it is not so, just read the gospel according to saint Luke and use it to establish the truth of the Dogma of the Holy Trinity.

Upvote 0

Ceallaigh

Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
✟608,019.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Clearly it is not so
Then what did Luke mean when he wrote:

Dear Theophilus: In my first book I wrote about all the things that Jesus did and taught from the time he began his work until the day he was taken up to heaven.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Xeno.of.athens

May 18, 2022
Perth
✟127,536.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Then what did Luke mean when he wrote:

Dear Theophilus: In my first book I wrote about all the things that Jesus did and taught from the time he began his work until the day he was taken up to heaven.
Saint Luke is continuing his account from the gospel that bears his name. The two works taken together will not yield an exhaustive presentation of all that Jesus did.

Upvote 0