Things you like about being in your 50's!

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟249,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
My neighbor asked me to help him with learning times tables and fractions and division. His comfort level with asking me for help seemed to be due to my being older and his not feeling embarrassed to ask me because of my being a lot more understanding and not judgemental compared to his peers.

He's in his late twenties and wants to obtain his GED and go to technical school.

He's always going off to work and impresses me with his work ethic and desire to improve his life.

Bottom line is that being older seems to earn you more trust and there is less fear that you will laugh at them or humiliate them.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It feels like a good vantage point to look forward and to look back. From here, I can see the impetuosity of youth as it was in me on occasion back then and therefore understand better some of the decisions made by my own children on their journeys. I also remember decisions my parents made when they were my age and I understand better, where they were coming from now that I am that age. Looking forward, I see the benefit of the decisions they made and that is inspiring.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Seeing how things pan out over a period of time, sometimes decades, and becoming more aware that (irrespective of how things appear to be) the Lord really is working out things for good (Romans 8 v 28).

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Seeing how things pan out over a period of time, sometimes decades, and becoming more aware that (irrespective of how things appear to be) the Lord really is working out things for good (Romans 8 v 28).

I've thought about this promise from God many times. I give thanks that He does things in His way and His time. We too often think about the here and now, and what we want right now might not be the best for us. Finally, God also looks at eternity - something we should consider more often.

Upvote 0

thispoorman

Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with thy God
Feb 13, 2012
North Carolina
✟13,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Three more years, Three more years. Three more years to retirement.

And it isn't the non-ringing Monday morning alarm clock I'm looking forward to; it's the end of the Sunday night "aaand here we go again" feeling.

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Three more years, Three more years. Three more years to retirement.

And it isn't the non-ringing Monday morning alarm clock I'm looking forward to; it's the end of the Sunday night "aaand here we go again" feeling.
Oh, I know that feeling and I hope the three years seem to pass quickly (at least the working week parts of them! :D) for you thispoorman......and then a blissful feeling, when the date comes. :)

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It always makes me laugh when I tell my kids that this or that only cost this much back in the day when I was a kid. Their astonished faces are a sight to behold. Then they remember that wages were a lot lower as well...

Upvote 0

thispoorman

Do justly, love mercy, walk humbly with thy God
Feb 13, 2012
North Carolina
✟13,909.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
Oh, I know that feeling and I hope the three years seem to pass quickly (at least the working week parts of them! :D) for you thispoorman......and then a blissful feeling, when the date comes. :)

My thanks to you for your very kind encouragement! And, of course, things are never as bad as they SEEM...

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟249,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
That I can now be good to myself

and cherish it....

Its OK now, I earned it!

senior-woman-in-bathrobe-drinking-coffee-X1WXAR.jpg

Upvote 0

creslaw

Site Supporter
Oct 20, 2015
✟171,835.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In our 50s kids are usually more independent so we had time for ourselves and able to pursue those activities we often put on hold such as travel, joining clubs, taking courses to extend our learning, etc.

But most of all I liked being able to play real music without the kids saying who the heck is John Denver?

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
But most of all I liked being able to play real music without the kids saying who the heck is John Denver?
:D Just about one of the best singers ever! :oldthumbsup: :)

Anyone remember Gordon Lightfoot? My husband and I used to play his music a lot in the 80s. (I've just realised that anyone aged 50 would not be old enough to have been married until the end of the 80s. At 70 I'm beginning to feel a generation gap with the 50-somethings! :help: :D)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

joymercy

Site Supporter
Feb 26, 2017
study
✟249,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
The unthinkable: Little curly grey hairs are actually liked because they make the hair strands thicker than the regular hairs.

No more perms ever needed again, due to some sort of cosmic gift from the Lord God above.

I mean the curling irons are just sitting there collecting dust!

Anyone remember the BAD perms?!!
2009551249-3-10.jpg

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟792,924.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
@rebornfree IDK if it would be well traveled or not, but you could try a thread about being in your '70's?
That's an idea joymercy. :) I had thought about one for those who are 65 +; I think 70 would not get enough people.

• Winner
Reactions: joymercy
Upvote 0

Gary O'

Dec 27, 2020
Oregon
✟100,895.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Seems an appropriate thread for what I wrote to a guy that was soon to have his 50th birthday;

Here and Now

So, here I am, on the wrong side of sixty, weird things growing, wiry hairs, warts, splotches, odd indefinable patches, moles the size of moles, and that’s just on my hind end.

I’ve got good hearing, but only in one ear.
It's why we have two of most everything.

Vision is going south. Reading glasses are strategically laid throughout the house, cars, tackle boxes, and shop.
It’s not a serious issue just yet, but need to demonstrate more patience when trying to get the neighbor’s hibachi to fetch.

I make little noises when I commence to get outta my lay z boy.
I notice that those same noises will emanate from my wretched larynx when I commence to sit in said lazy boy.
Speaking of larynxes, I find that throat clearing takes several tries…like starting an ol’ model T.

I have partial recall, and even that is a struggle.

I can put on 157 lbs in 13 minutes, just from sniffing a bran muffin.

After sixty, while you slumber, a pubic hair can grow the length of 3 feet…on the pointy part of your ear lobe.

Things grow, and things that were already there will up and move

‘Doc, take a look at whatever that is on my left knee.’
‘Sir, that’s just your right ball.’
‘BTW, when’s the last time I ran my finger up your pooper?’

When in your 60s you must learn the difference between the words colostomy and colonoscopy…it’s important when checking in.

Of a morning, you’ll look in the bathroom mirror, and find a goblin looking back.
So just comb back your ear hair and greet the day.

Self-keeping becomes secondary.
‘Honey, there’s a puffed wheat in your mustache.’
‘Oh…..so?’
‘We had puffed wheat two weeks ago.’
‘And your point, dear?’

By sixty your underwear from high school has finally given up the ghost, so you retire the little strands of elastic,
but consider the frugal acquisition of 12 headbands.

You discover your new fresh (actually brilliant white) briefs are quite the contrast to the occasional poop stain
…of which is no longer so occasional……poop cake can become a concern.

Oh, and you discover you no longer have a hind end.
It has gingerly crept up and nestled onto your lower back, leaving you with just a six inch line and a tuft of hair.

The fire in your eyes is now just pain recognition.
Speaking of fire, get wunna those birthday candles that doesn’t blow out.

It’ll help you keep the fire.

Upvote 0