Things you like about being in your 50's!

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm still in my 50's and one thing I like is having more time to myself now. It's been difficult to get into my own groove after having the kids stay with us for much longer than some kids do. 2016 was actually our very first year with no children at home. :D They were saving for their own home and so on and two of them only moved out in the last year or two. Another cool thing about that, though, is a lot less housework and cooking now - yay!! :D

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Harking back, definitely the music from the 70's and being a teenager back then and experiencing it all firsthand. Interesting to see the return of vinyl in the shops too...

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I get to pray for my children with the full knowlege that they have all the responsibility for the grand kids. I remember how big a job that is.

Good things that have happened while in my 50's include two of our children getting married and two grand children being born. :)

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Harking back, definitely the music from the 70's and being a teenager back then and experiencing it all firsthand. Interesting to see the return of vinyl in the shops too...

I never thought I would see the day that vinyl records would return. I really wish I would have held on to mine because I had quite a collection.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never thought I would see the day that vinyl records would return. I really wish I would have held on to mine because I had quite a collection.

I still have my albums, but I'm not sure of their condition as I haven't played them for a long time now and currently don't have a record player. What sort of albums did you have, Kevin?

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I still have my albums, but I'm not sure of their condition as I haven't played them for a long time now and currently don't have a record player. What sort of albums did you have, Kevin?

Most of mine were what is known today as "classic rock". Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, etc.
I probably had 300 albums that had just been sitting in my mom's house for years; she finally got rid of them about 10 years ago. I never asked, but I'd say she just threw them away. Some of them were warped and in pretty bad condition, but I may have been able to salvage a few.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Most of mine were what is known today as "classic rock". Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Rush, Fleetwood Mac, Journey, etc.
I probably had 300 albums that had just been sitting in my mom's house for years; she finally got rid of them about 10 years ago. I never asked, but I'd say she just threw them away. Some of them were warped and in pretty bad condition, but I may have been able to salvage a few.

Some good bands there, Kevin. I guess my albums are classic rock too - not sure, really. I bought my ones for various songs on them, rather than cos I specifically like this or that music genre. I have Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Neil Diamond, Elton John, 10CC, Santana, Supertramp, Gerry Rafferty, Billy Joel...and lots more. A friend gave me lots of albums too which I have never even played, since I didn't have a stereo with a turntable and still don't have one.

Did you ever collect any of your old albums on cds instead? I never have, though I have a very small collection of cds. If I really feel like listening to songs from back in the day, I just go to you tube these days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Some good bands there, Kevin. I guess my albums are classic rock too - not sure, really. I bought my ones for various songs on them, rather than cos I specifically like this or that music genre. I have Led Zeppelin, the Beatles, Neil Diamond, Elton John, 10CC, Santana, Supertramp, Gerry Rafferty, Billy Joel...and lots more. A friend gave me lots of albums too which I have never even played, since I didn't have a stereo with a turntable and still don't have one.

Did you ever collect any of your old albums on cds instead? I never have, though I have a very small collection of cds. If I really feel like listening to songs from back in the day, I just go to you tube these days.

I did. There were quite a few I found in the "$5 Bin" at WalMart, actually.
You are right about YouTube though, I do the same thing now.

Upvote 0

KevinC1129

Simul justus et peccator
Jan 24, 2016
North Texas
✟490,545.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I've actually forgotten how to write in cursive because I haven't used it in so long. I used to be pretty good at it when I was younger, but now you can't even read my signature.

Upvote 0

nChrist

AKA: Tom - Saved By Grace Through Faith
Site Supporter
Mar 21, 2003
Oklahoma, USA
✟902,160.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I've actually forgotten how to write in cursive because I haven't used it in so long. I used to be pretty good at it when I was younger, but now you can't even read my signature.

I'm in the same boat. My career called for block printing, so I really didn't have much need for cursive.

Upvote 0

joyshirley

His Love endures forever
Site Supporter
Jul 17, 2004
New Zealand
✟1,374,137.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I still remember how to write in cursive and funnily enough, just the other day my younger daughter and I were remembering how to write the letter p. I still write in cursive, but an untidy version of it. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Although I wouldn't call it cursive, more untidy scribble :D, I spent 5 out of the 5 1/2 years of my degree, over the last few years, doing handwritten notes. The other six months I used the computer, and it drove me mad! Although I can touch type, I tend to use colour for different types of notes, and picking up a different colour pen was so much easier for me than messing about with word-processing ink-pots! Also I think I found it easier to revert to the way I had studied at school. :)

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Although I can touch type, I tend to use colour for different types of notes, and picking up a different colour pen was so much easier for me than messing about with word-processing ink-pots!

I did that too, and everyone thought I was weird (of course, they thought that anyway)...

Upvote 0

rebornfree

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
May 5, 2007
NW England
✟793,257.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Divorced
Not applicable to all over-50s, but to the retired perhaps: not having the alarm going off on a Monday morning, and not getting impatient when stuck in queues in shops etc., because you've only got an hour for lunch! :):):)

Upvote 0