Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
"By ROBERT LAURIE - There's no denying it. Things are looking bleak.

With the 2012 election in the books, it’s time to take a look at what won and what lost as America went to the polls. The candidates and incumbents whose hopes were dashed in the GOP bloodbath are part of the equation, but they don’t tell the real story.

The real winners and losers all had to do with ideology, and there’s no way to sugarcoat it.

Won: Dependence

The idea that we’re a nation of autonomous, free thinking people looks positively archaic in light of last night’s results. A little under half of us still seem to appreciate the concept, but it’s now clear that a majority feel dependence on government is a better option."

(article continued in link below)

Politics: America chooses a dangerous, possibly irreversable, course | CainTV

Last edited:

Jeffwhosoever

Faithful Servant & Seminary Student
Christian Forums Staff
Chaplain
Angels Team
Site Supporter
Sep 21, 2009
Southern US
✟417,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I feel so depressed. Not for myself. I'm depressed for my child's future, and your child's future, and the future of a once great Nation. Worse, it seems we didn't learn our lesson in the crash of 2008-2009, so we are doomed to repeat that, only worse next time. And, we won't be able to print cash and make loans to fund the amount of stimulus to save us next time around.

Upvote 0

Marek

Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
✟2,139.00
Faith
Catholic
I feel so depressed. Not for myself. I'm depressed for my child's future, and your child's future, and the future of a once great Nation. Worse, it seems we didn't learn our lesson in the crash of 2008-2009, so we are doomed to repeat that, only worse next time. And, we won't be able to print cash and make loans to fund the amount of stimulus to save us next time around.

Jeff, I think you should consider taking a break from politics. You have to admit your predictions for the election were way off. Take a minute and consider the possibility that your predictions for this country might be a bit off as well. I think most objective observers of American politics see very little difference between Romney and Obama. Many even think Obama is the better choice. Maybe they're right? Check out where Political Compass places the candidates. Romney and Obama are nearly identical in the big picture. Fifty years from now I doubt we'll look back and see this as a significant turning point in American history. Just a period of gradual progress. The good thing about democracy is that if things start to go wrong, we can change them pretty quickly. Don't worry so much!

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
If you don't like democracy, go live somewhere that doesn't practice it.

The USA is a republic, not a democracy, sir! That's why when Ben Franklin exited the Constitutional Convention, and a woman asked him "Sir, what kind of government have you given us?" he answered "A republic, madame --if you can keep it".

The Founding Fathers thought very poorly of democracy. This video is both educational and entertaining. If what I just wrote sounds TOOOOOOOOOTALLY CRAZY to you, then it will shine some light on where I --and freedom loving Americans, and the Constitution --are coming from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7M-7LkvcVw

Last edited:
Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Freedom is over :(
I think not. We've been on an unsustainable and deceptive path for a number of years though ... and it's time to pay the piper. It's a storm which has to be weathered.

I'm reminded of the record 500 year flood here not so long ago. I was downtown just hours before the city was inundated. It was an eery feeling knowing that the then unavoidable flood would soon change the city ... yet it seemed like people were still going about their routines oblivious to the impending disaster. People could have scrambled to save many things ... but mostly made no preparations.

Curiously though, a locally owned department store did prepare and moved everything from the lower levels to the upper levels and that store was among the first to reopen after the flood. In contrast, the public library lost everything on the main floor ... though all the books could easily have been moved upstairs. No effort was made to do so though.

No one bothered to protect the city's five water wells either ... until four of them had been inundated and were out of service. Then, suddenly, there was a panicked call for volunteers to sandbag the remaining well. That happened surprisingly quickly and effectively. Water service for the city continued uninterrupted.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marek

Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
✟2,139.00
Faith
Catholic
The USA is a republic, not a democracy, sir! That's why when Ben Franklin exited the Constitutional Convention, and a woman asked him "Sir, what kind of government have you given us?" he answered "A republic, madame --if you can keep it".

The Founding Fathers thought very poorly of democracy.

Well thankfully our government is much more democratic today than it was back then.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well thankfully our government is much more democratic today than it was back then.

So you would say it's better for the majority to vote the minority into slavery? That's possible under democracy, you know. Say, for example, making Catholics deny the Pope? That's another possibility.

Upvote 0

KarateCowboy

Classical liberal
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2004
✟140,932.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have little interest in the opinion of a bunch of 200 years dead disaffected hemp farmers. Why anyone does is beyond me.

EDIT:
I notice now that you are Australian. Please stay in Australia.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Marek

Dec 5, 2003
Visit site
✟2,139.00
Faith
Catholic
So you would say it's better for the majority to vote the minority into slavery? That's possible under democracy, you know. Say, for example, making Catholics deny the Pope? That's another possibility.

No. I'm saying that it's better now because women and racial minorities also have a say in the political process, unlike in the days of the Founders. Obviously the expansion of democracy in the United States hasn't resulted in slavery; you could say it played a role in eliminating it.

Upvote 0

Blayz

Aug 1, 2007
Singapore
✟4,827.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
EDIT:
I notice now that you are Australian. Please stay in Australia.

You failed to notice I currently live in Singapore. I'll go where I bless-and-do-not-curse well please, regardless of your feelings on the matter.

So you would say it's better for the majority to vote the minority into slavery?
Like what your founding fathers did? :thumbsup:

NHE said:
Meh ... one day Singapore, the next Australia. It's all in the South Pacific, right? So what makes the diff

Indeed. It's all not-US, apparently. I probably shouldn't mention the year I spent in California.

Upvote 0

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
You failed to notice I currently live in Singapore. I'll go where I bless-and-do-not-curse well please, regardless of your feelings on the matter.

Like what your founding fathers did? :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:
Indeed. It's all not-US, apparently. I probably shouldn't mention the year I spent in California.
LOL ... that explains a lot. ;)

Upvote 0