They won't build it! Hardhats vow not to work on controversial mosque

T

The Lady Kate

The real slap in the face is the time it has been
taking to rebuild the site.

NYC has built two baseball stadiums,
And I really don't see why they couldn't
had rebuilt the towers the same as before.

Everyday, I pass by the site,
driving on the BQE looking across the east river,
seeing the Battery, but no towers.

As every anniversary,
I shall be there to mourn.

And THAT is why GZ is still a hole in the ground... because its usefulness as a political tool will greatly diminish if anything ever actually gets built there.

Thank you for being the first person I've met on these boards who shares my outrage over that.

Reactions: wanderingone
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,509.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The stadiums are out in the boonies and did use eminent domain to take land (at least the Yankees did). They didn't have to sift through toxic ashes to get the remains of thousands of people (I think they left Jimmy Hoffa at the old site). They didn't have to remove tons upon tons of debris. They didn't have to deal much with leaseholders, landowners and insurance claims. They didn't have to plan a billion dollar memorial with all the attendant bickering and infighting (should first responders get special recognition?, etc). They don't have an intricate underground infrastructure with three different subway lines (different sized tracks & trains) with their train stations plus the Path trains, gas lines, water mains, sewers and electrical grid, underground parking and storage. The stadiums are tiny compared to several hundred-plus-storied buildings in the a very congested downtown area.

There's politicking, too, but it really is complex.

Upvote 0

TheDag

I don't like titles
Jan 8, 2005
✟28,794.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And if built, the people of New York have the right to protest in front of the building, just as others protest in front of buildings they don't agree with.
just out of curiosity what other buildings have people protested against? Are there any examples? I am aware of protests outside companies headquarters after specific incidents like oil spills and other envviromental issues but not aware of protests against any actual buildings.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
I wonder why there hasn't been more articles on why Churches aren't allowed in the ENTIRE country of Saudi Arabia......

"Let there be a Mosque in America when there are Churches in Mecca."
Saudia Arabia doesn't trumpet its virtue as a place of liberty and justice for all. Americans have been knwon to do that.

By all means, add "except for Muslims" to the bill of rights and the constitution, but when you do, please stop carrying on as though America invented (capitalised deliberately)Freedom and Democracy.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
And THAT is why GZ is still a hole in the ground... because its usefulness as a political tool will greatly diminish if anything ever actually gets built there.

Thank you for being the first person I've met on these boards who shares my outrage over that.

I have, since very shortly after September 2001, agreed 100% with Tim Kreider on this one. The appropriate memorial/reconstruction on the site, is not 2, but 3 new towers, that look just like the old WTC only a mile high.

http://www.thepaincomics.com/World Trade Center [web].gif

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

Saudia Arabia doesn't trumpet its virtue as a place of liberty and justice for all. Americans have been knwon to do that.

By all means, add "except for Muslims" to the bill of rights and the constitution, but when you do, please stop carrying on as though America invented (capitalised deliberately)Freedom and Democracy.

I just find it strange that one religious building being built is having so much hooping and hollering over it, when the rights of all Non-Muslims are being infringed in a whole country.

I never said that America invented Freedom or Democracy, nor have I proposed to remove Muslims' rights-- from the bill of rights (though I would not be opposed to such an idea).

Muslims want to have tons of religious freedom, but in many Islamic countries there exists little freedom for Non-Muslims.

What I am saying is--don't decry Americans for getting heated over a Mosque being built--when ALL NON-Muslims cannot build their places of worship in Saudi Arabia--by law!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
I can't believe the nerve of some people, the Muslims who are behind this mosque are dangerous and want to hurt us. this is no accident, its a bold statement to put a mosque feet away from where those twin towers stood. we as Americans have every right to speak out about this disgusting display of evil.

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
I just find it strange that one religious building being built is having so much hooping and hollering over it, when the rights of all Non-Muslims are being infringed in a whole country.
Yes... a whole OTHER country. I know Americans sometimes have a hard time dealing with this fact, but not everyone lives in America. Hey, the Middle East is a miserable dump. I didn't enjoy my time there, and neither did most of my mates. Its repressive and unpleasant. But what makes our Western Democracies better? The fact we don't oppress people like they do. So how do we stay better if we start repressing minorities again?

I never said that America invented Freedom or Democracy, nor have I proposed to remove Muslims' rights-- from the bill of rights (though I would not be opposed to such an idea).
Bolded section really says it all.

Muslims want to have tons of religious freedom, but in many Islamic countries there exists little freedom for Non-Muslims.
So what? America isn't a Muslim country, nor is it a theocracy... and the not being a theocracy where people are free to worship whoever and whatever they chose is the basis of why America is supposedly better.

What I am saying is--don't decry Americans for getting heated over a Mosque being built--when ALL NON-Muslims cannot build their places of worship in Saudi Arabia--by law!
And what I'M saying is... so, to show that America is better than all those places where people don't have the freedom to worship freely, you want to stop people in America from worshipping freely. Bravo. Good plan. *very dry sarcastic clap, clap*

Upvote 0

mandyangel

Aug 27, 2010
✟18,392.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
WHY? why when theres so many other places they could build their mosque do they they choose the sight of the twin towers. The way I percieve it is that its a threat, is so bold and so brass.... don't they have respect for the Americans that may still be buried under the rebel? They don't becuase if they did they wouldn't be making this choice. I read it as an "in your face America" kinda thing.

heres something from the muslims themselves:

Poster%20denouncing%20mosque.jpg

heres the site: A good argument against the mosque, provided by the Muslims themselves

Upvote 0

LightHorseman

Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2006
✟10,643.00
Faith
Catholic
Politics
AU-Liberals
WHY? why when theres so many other places they could build their mosque do they they choose the sight of the twin towers. The way I percieve it is that its a threat, is so bold and so brass.... don't they have respect for the Americans that may still be buried under the rebel? They don't becuase if they did they wouldn't be making this choice. I read it as an "in your face America" kinda thing.

heres the site: A good argument against the mosque, provided by the Muslims themselves

Hate to be a stick in the mud, but thats not a Muslim with that sign.

Why not build it there? They own the land, they weren't anything to do with the attacks, and they have a constitutional right to build it.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

So does Christianity. After Rome became Christian, lots of pagan temples were transformed into churches, usually to the dismay and horror to the local pagans. Likewise, when Christianity came to England (and northern Europe in general), churches and cathedrals were erected on sites where Romans, Vikings and Anglo-Saxons had previously worshipped their gods. Heck, the Church of the Holy Sepulchre, the holiest site in Christianity, was at first a Roman temple.

Christianity has as much a history of erecting places of worship on others' holy sites as Islam does; Islam may be less discreet about it, but both religions have a history to be guilty about in that respect.

Upvote 0

Yusuf Evans

Aug 17, 2005
Iraq
✟13,433.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Married

Shouldn't the US be bigger than that, be above that? I mean it. Since when do we have to look to a country like Saudi Arabia and say " I won't do it till they do it"? Why are Christians, the vast majority in the world with millions of churches scattered in almost every country except a few(maybe 3 or 4 countries) and you want to make the comparison to Saudi Arabia and this Community Center as if you guys don't already have a monopoly on places of worship in most of the Western World.

For the last time, it's not a Masjid. It will not look like a Masjid with huge minarets and someone blaring the Azan 5 times a day. It's going to have a school, a swimming pool, a gym and an inter-faith meeting area where we can develop a better relationship with Americans that are non-Muslim.

Upvote 0

Ayersy

Friendly Neighborhood Nihilist
Sep 2, 2009
England
✟17,209.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
I can't believe the nerve of some people, the Muslims who are behind this mosque are dangerous and want to hurt us. this is no accident, its a bold statement to put a mosque feet away from where those twin towers stood. we as Americans have every right to speak out about this disgusting display of evil.

For the last time, the people building this structure (It's NOT a mosque.) are NOTHING TO DO WITH THE PEOPLE WHO CAUSED 9/11.

They are a part of the same religion. That's it. It's nothing to do with 9/11.

Upvote 0
A

armyman_83

Shouldn't the US be bigger than that, be above that? I mean it. Since when do we have to look to a country like Saudi Arabia and say " I won't do it till they do it"? Why are Christians, the vast majority in the world with millions of churches scattered in almost every country except a few(maybe 3 or 4 countries) and you want to make the comparison to Saudi Arabia and this Community Center as if you guys don't already have a monopoly on places of worship in most of the Western World.

For the last time, it's not a Masjid. It will not look like a Masjid with huge minarets and someone blaring the Azan 5 times a day. It's going to have a school, a swimming pool, a gym and an inter-faith meeting area where we can develop a better relationship with Americans that are non-Muslim.

The U.S. should demand that religious equality be showed to Christians in Saudi Arabia (and all parts of the world). And we should be willing to back up such demands with physical force.

Honestly, you can't have total religious freedom. So while we are drawing lines in the sand it doesn't seem too illogical to go ahead and outlaw a faith that is rather dangerous to those who do not adhear to the said faith. Should we allow the people to serve Kali? Lets just bring back the Thuggee and why not Baal worship? Why not let people let "their children pass through the fire"--its religious freedom after all!

As to the "Community Center", they are--by law allowed to build where they please. So long as the funding is not tax payer money, they have the right to build it, even if it is in very poor taste. Personally I would like to see the laws changed to forbid Muslims from entering America, or living therein.

When Islamic nations are free for non-muslims to visit/live with equal rights--then maybe we can start a two-way street.

Why support a faith that does not show the same support for our citizens?

Upvote 0